Huskmaw or Leupold

captainemil

want to buy a scope for my 300 win mag, an I was looking at the Leupold VX3L 3.5x10 CDS an the Huskmaw 5 x 20. ANY THOUGHTS?

In short it pretty much comes down to personal preferance. Both are good, but I like Leupold better especially for the money.

Last edited:
if you are planning on going with the CDS you do realize they only go one revolution. Leupolds scope that competes with the huskemaw is something with target knobs so that you can fit 2 rows of numbers. My vote goes with a Leupold though. If you do a search you will find several similar threads I think the mass majority are going to side on Leupold.

You are only limited to one turn of the turret if you use the custom cap with the stop. The standard MOA cap has no stop. The Leupold is a good scope and I have two of them. I have no experience with the Huskemaw, but for that price range I think I would probably go with a Nightforce NXS.

There were reasons why the Huskemaw was developed. But first let me say, I do not own one....yet. I'm still thinking about it.

The Huskemaw, as I know it, has gas allowing for correct dialing, compared to the Leupold that has a spring, thus, the reason you see John Burns, and others with the Leupold dialing beyond and then backing it back by about 1 minute.

The Huskemaw has a 1/3 MOA click adjustment where the Leupy has/had 1/4.

Both have had tracking problems.

Huskemaw is made in the same factory as Nightforce, by the same workers.

Best answer: Get a Zeiss Conquest and send it to Kenton Industries for custom knobs.

If Nightforce was listed as one of the option, I would have recommended that. However, of the 2 choices, the Huskemaw has a better reticle and turret system . 1 MOA hash marks on the horizontal line for holding off on wind, and a very nice turret for dialing elevation. Not as good of a bargain, since the price increase. Since they almost weigh as much as a Nightforce and the Nightforce is only about $400.00 more, I buy Nightforce. So, throw the Nightforce in the mix, and its a no brainer.

There were reasons why the Huskemaw was developed. But first let me say, I do not own one....yet. I'm still thinking about it.

The Huskemaw, as I know it, has gas allowing for correct dialing, compared to the Leupold that has a spring, thus, the reason you see John Burns, and others with the Leupold dialing beyond and then backing it back by about 1 minute.

The Huskemaw has a 1/3 MOA click adjustment where the Leupy has/had 1/4.

Both have had tracking problems.

Huskemaw is made in the same factory as Nightforce, by the same workers.

Best answer: Get a Zeiss Conquest and send it to Kenton Industries for custom knobs.

Huskemaw is not made in the same place or by the same people as night force. Both have Japanese glass but they are certainly not made by the.same company. I have done a lot of research on huskemaw I suggest you do the same if you want to buy one.

That is a tough question-------kind of like "have you quit beating your wife"? Wrong answer no matter what. LOL

Huskemaw is not made in the same place or by the same people as night force. Both have Japanese glass but they are certainly not made by the.same company. I have done a lot of research on huskemaw I suggest you do the same if you want to buy one.

I was told by the maker and seller it was. But to be more specific, both scope components are made by Light Optic, but Light Optical Works ships them to the US so Nightforce can put them together. The Huskemaw is completed in Japan.

Last edited:
I was told by the maker and seller it was. But to be more specific, both scope components are made by Light Optic, but Light Optical Works ships them to the US so Nightforce can put them together. The Huskemaw is completed in Japan.

My mistake I thought you were saying both were assembled by the same people. Huskemaws are assembled and sometimes have foreign debris floating in them. I have seen it. Night Force has never had the clenliness issue that I have ever heard of. Also just because they are made by the same people at the same place does not mean it is the same glass or other parts. Night Force has patented coatings that they use and their tubes are made using a different process than any other manufacturer that I know of. Point being just because they have some parts coming from the same place doesnt mean they are the same. But like mentioned above there is no right answer here the turret system works and works well on both systems. I prefer Leupold for several reasons but a big one is 1/4 moa clicks opposed to 1/3 I may not be able to shoot well enough to see the difference in a 1/3 click at 800 yards and a 1/4 click at 800 yards but I want it to be a little more precise to cover my error. at 800 a 1/3 click is a heck of a lot more than a 1/4 click in inches moved on your target.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.