Hunting with E-bikes

So that letter is from the DOI (department of interior) which runs the BLM (bureau of land management) and NPS (National park service) they due allow use for E-bikes in most parks and BLM lands.
The USFS (United States Forest service) is ran by the USDA (United States department of agriculture) which does not allow the use of E-bikes on any closed road or trail or any area closed to motorized use. I'm my opinion the USFS is behind the power curve on this and it is very political. As stated earlier it's between OHV, horse people, hiking so on and so forth.
When hunting an area you can down load Avenza (a free map app and then the the travel plan for that ranger district.) On X does a pretty good job with which routes are open and closed as well

Personally, I truly hope not. I greatly appreciate that we have a non-motorized hunting area. I am not a believer that every trail should be open to motorized vehicles. In this area, we have nearly 500 miles of trails and probably 400 of that are open to motorized vehicles. Now the e-bikers (new user group on the block who have done nothing with regard to trail development or maintenance) are demanding access to the remaining 100 miles. That sense of entitlement doesn't sit well with me.
"I" respectfully disagree. My wife and I have volunteered, donated, and fundraiser for some of the trails in question. My scout Troop, Order of the Arrow, and Venture Crew have previously done the same. I have seen more damages/mess caused by horses than motorized bikes.

"I" respectfully disagree. My wife and I have volunteered, donated, and fundraiser for some of the trails in question. My scout Troop, Order of the Arrow, and Venture Crew have previously done the same. I have seen more damages/mess caused by horses than motorized bikes.
I completely agree with you that horses have the highest impact per user. It's mostly negligible on a dry trail, but they can quickly destroy a soft muddy trail. Motorcycles are second and very much dependent on the skill level or etiquette of the user. Gentle riding is not bad, but get a "throttle gooser" with no idea how to be steady on the throttle and you'll have whoops and ruts in no time.
And I appreciate your time in working on and maintaining trails in your area. It's important to understand what it takes to create and maintain a trail system. I've done the same. I started our local 501(c)3 trails maintenance group. In a previous life I was a member of the Professional Trail Builders Association, and I've even had the opportunity to give Congressional testimony in front of a Senate sub-committee on the benefits of recreation and trails planning in land management strategies. However, just because I've done all of that, does not then make me feel like I am entitled to all of the trails using my preferred form of transportation. I understand the need to have a management strategy that provides opportunities for everyone.

Here on Long Island the boardwalks which line some of our beaches allow "bicycles" proving that you ride slowly and are courteous to others (beach-goers, walkers, joggers, etc). Today you see ebikes all over the place and they are moving far too quickly for safe operation on crowded boardwalks. The rules don't allow any motorized vehicles and the ebikes need to be banned too. It's not the bikes themselves that's the problem but the manner in which they are used.

Last edited:
These things need to be regulated to use "motorized" trails only. They are dang near a motorcycle. Any trail or road closed to non-motorized should stay that way. Period. 406muley
Sadly, it doesn't seem that likely to stay that way. The e-bike industry has lobbied hard and is making progress in eventually opening all trails to e-bikes. Personally, I think it will eventually lead to the loss of trail access for both mountain bikes and e-bikes through increased user conflicts and accidents. The e-bike user crowd is the least educated group that I've seen regarding trail rules, etiquette, etc. And I'm not throwing e-bike hunters in that group necessarily. I am referring to the recreational e-bike users. E-bikes are great tools. My dad rode his until 6 weeks before he passed. But personally, I don't think they need to be everywhere and I'd love it if users had a better grasp of etiquette and why rules are in place.

Sadly, it doesn't seem that likely to stay that way. The e-bike industry has lobbied hard and is making progress in eventually opening all trails to e-bikes. Personally, I think it will eventually lead to the loss of trail access for both mountain bikes and e-bikes through increased user conflicts and accidents. The e-bike user crowd is the least educated group that I've seen regarding trail rules, etiquette, etc. And I'm not throwing e-bike hunters in that group necessarily. I am referring to the recreational e-bike users. E-bikes are great tools. My dad rode his until 6 weeks before he passed. But personally, I don't think they need to be everywhere and I'd love it if users had a better grasp of etiquette and why rules are in place.
That is a pretty rough blanket statement.

These things need to be regulated to use "motorized" trails only. They are dang near a motorcycle. Any trail or road closed to non-motorized should stay that way. Period. 406muley
We do NOT need more government regulation.
At this time, I fall under the e-bike recreational user and your stereotyping. I honestly do not know any other e-bike owner where I live. So what are trail etiquettes should be? My buddy and I were on foot hunting, and the trail was narrow. We moved off the trail with quite the drop, and the guys on horseback gave us a dirty look for being there. My hunting buddy told me they are supposed to dismount and share common courtesy on the shared trail. I might not know all the rules, but I was raised to be courteous - Golden Rule.

These conversations are always the same. Ban, prohibit because a few folks either do not understand or don't care? We can say same thing about horses and hikers, we don't NEED to have everyone everywhere. THIS is exactly what the USFS is headed to have "forever wild" land that ONLY animals have sole use. The more we can get people out in the wild the better chances we have of sustainment of access. There is a definite plan to eliminate access by certain groups and we better wake up and band TOGETHER or we will ALL lose out access rights.

These conversations are always the same. Ban, prohibit because a few folks either do not understand or don't care? We can say same thing about horses and hikers, we don't NEED to have everyone everywhere. THIS is exactly what the USFS is headed to have "forever wild" land that ONLY animals have sole use. The more we can get people out in the wild the better chances we have of sustainment of access. There is a definite plan to eliminate access by certain groups and we better wake up and band TOGETHER or we will ALL lose out access rights.
Well said, Sir!

Wilderness areas next I bet. 406muley

That is a pretty rough blanket statement.
Perhaps. I'm just telling you what I see. I'm also a Firefighter and on our Backcountry Rescue team. The increase in the number of calls responding to e-bike accidents is telling. Many aren't wearing a helmet. Many were not cyclists before getting an e-bike. Many have no idea about what uses are allowed in what areas. I picked up a 69 YOF last year who fell off of an 18" wide bridge across a stream and had a concussion and lacerations. She had never ridden one before and did not ride bikes before that. She had absolutely no idea what she was doing. And THAT is what e-bikes do. They get people who are largely uneducated about the whole situation (location, trail usage rules, yielding etiquette, etc.) and zooms them right out into the middle of situations that they have no idea how to deal with. The commercials are the worst, and I place blame there. It is a phenomena not unlike Jeep commercials teaching people how to take care of (or destroy) our public lands.

Recent Posts