Hunting with E-bikes

Agreed! I am still getting used to mine. Lots to learn, esp. in timely transitioning in gear changes and the terrain.
A hind quarter in each pannier, another with back straps in the trailer, me and my pack and rifle, heading up a very steep hill trying to keep the front tire on the ground and everything upright. I made the hill. My son crashed twice and had to walk his up. Chalk one up for the old man!

A hind quarter in each pannier, another with back straps in the trailer, me and my pack and rifle, heading up a very steep hill trying to keep the front tire on the ground and everything upright. I made the hill. My son crashed twice and had to walk his up. Chalk one up for the old man!
LOL! Yeah, controlling the beast is another story. I, too, crashed on my first two outings.

The Sawtooth National Forest and the BLM (at least in central ID) consider e-bikes to be "motorized" and, as such, they are allowed on motorized trails, but are not allowed on non-motorized trails. There are plenty of motorized trails that are not open to UTV's. We call them single track. Four wheelers and UTV's are not allowed on single track. Enforcing those rules has been more difficult lately with the increase in hunter numbers and the increase in urban refugees wanting to be "outdoorsy" without a clue or care for rules.....

I recommend to anyone intending to pack meat with one to practice with weight in the trailer and on the bike. It wants to throw you on the ground with just the slightest lean.
Second that! The weight changes the whole game. Putting that weight in the trailer is much better than on the bike, IMHO. Keep that center of gravity as low as possible. First time my buddy and I packed elk out on them, it took us twice as long just cuz we were in tears laughing at each other trying to get the whole rig upright and moving forward.

The Sawtooth National Forest and the BLM (at least in central ID) consider e-bikes to be "motorized" and, as such, they are allowed on motorized trails, but are not allowed on non-motorized trails. There are plenty of motorized trails that are not open to UTV's. We call them single track. Four wheelers and UTV's are not allowed on single track. Enforcing those rules has been more difficult lately with the increase in hunter numbers and the increase in urban refugees wanting to be "outdoorsy" without a clue or care for rules.....
I just sent an e-mail query to FWP on the status for this year, if it will be allowed per the Secretary of the Interior's memo.

I just sent an e-mail query to FWP on the status for this year, if it will be allowed per the Secretary of the Interior's memo.
Personally, I truly hope not. I greatly appreciate that we have a non-motorized hunting area. I am not a believer that every trail should be open to motorized vehicles. In this area, we have nearly 500 miles of trails and probably 400 of that are open to motorized vehicles. Now the e-bikers (new user group on the block who have done nothing with regard to trail development or maintenance) are demanding access to the remaining 100 miles. That sense of entitlement doesn't sit well with me.

Personally, I truly hope not. I greatly appreciate that we have a non-motorized hunting area. I am not a believer that every trail should be open to motorized vehicles. In this area, we have nearly 500 miles of trails and probably 400 of that are open to motorized vehicles. Now the e-bikers (new user group on the block who have done nothing with regard to trail development or maintenance) are demanding access to the remaining 100 miles. That sense of entitlement doesn't sit well with me.
Who built the trails?

Who built the trails?

USFS and horseback riders way back in the day. Most of them have been re-routed and re-built now that we have a better understanding of how to design/build trails to better avoid erosion. And most of the ongoing volunteer maintenance is now done by MTBers.

USFS and horseback riders way back in the day. Most of them have been re-routed and re-built now that we have a better understanding of how to design/build trails to better avoid erosion. And most of the ongoing volunteer maintenance is now done by MTBers.
MTBers?

So i am not saying whether or not a trail should be opened to e-bikes. I am saying that the USFS is funded by tax payer money. I think that includes all citizens.