Hunting with a 50bmg

TH

I was considering taking my 50bmg hunting. I did some research and watch quite a few uTube videos I was extremely surprised that the 50 did not kill any better. One video I watched a guy shoot an analope 3 times at 650 yards. Another video I watched a guy make a perfectly placed shot on a doe and it still ran 75 to 100 yards. I also read that several people thought that an animal shot by a 50 would be hamburger. It didn't seem to be the case. Most rounds just seemed to punch through the animal and not open up. I am aware that a 50 is not a practical hunting round but wondered if anyone had any real world experience? I was thinking about hunting with the 750 A max or 798 cutting edge MTH bullet? Any experience with these bullets or any stories would be greatly appreciated.

I was considering taking my 50bmg hunting. I did some research and watch quite a few uTube videos I was extremely surprised that the 50 did not kill any better. One video I watched a guy shoot an analope 3 times at 650 yards. Another video I watched a guy make a perfectly placed shot on a doe and it still ran 75 to 100 yards. I also read that several people thought that an animal shot by a 50 would be hamburger. It didn't seem to be the case. Most rounds just seemed to punch through the animal and not open up. I am aware that a 50 is not a practical hunting round but wondered if anyone had any real world experience? I was thinking about hunting with the 750 A max or 798 cutting edge MTH bullet? Any experience with these bullets or any stories would be greatly appreciated.

The 750 A Max would be a good choice for game because they will expand, but be sure and check your state regs before you do because some states ban the 50 for hunting.

J E CUSTOM

I actually just read a great article where a guy was discussing using 50BMG tracers for his new prairie dog varmint rifle. He liked ability to buck the wind at longer ranges and the tracers helped him to spot his own shots.

:D

All kidding aside... I doubt there would be much difference in entry/exit holes in the animal than an expanding 12 gauge slug would do. I shoot deer with 12 gauge slugs every year.

I don't think most animals that are deer size would cause the 50bmg bullet to expand to it's full potential. Let us know your results. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.