Hunting Utah

cspeerin

Hi,
I'm trying to line up a guided elk/multi species hunt in Utah and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on importing my bolt action rifle into Utah from Australia return?
Also interested if anyone could recommend a reputable outfitter, free range, quality animals with fitness no issue.
Thanks

How much are you looking to spend on your hunt? What size of animals? I m assuming you are thinking elk and mule deer combo? Are you looking for private land with guaranteed tags, or public land over the counter type of hunt? I guide for an outfitter in Utah and know several others I could maybe recommend.

I live in Idaho now but grew up in Utah. I guided for several years for Porcupine Outfitters in Paradise, Utah. They have a good program going. PM me if you want any more info.
Thanks, Kirk

How much are you looking to spend on your hunt? What size of animals? I m assuming you are thinking elk and mule deer combo? Are you looking for private land with guaranteed tags, or public land over the counter type of hunt? I guide for an outfitter in Utah and know several others I could maybe recommend.
I'm thinking about $10k for an elk. I'm not to versed on animal size but over here I hut sambar and a 30" model is the bench mark but anything from a 28"er up is exceptional generally and anything above 30" is the holy grail. so yeah an exceptional head would do! Want guaranteed tags but not a guaranteed hunt, don't want no fat cat hunt. I love to hunt sambar here in Australia and they are very shy and mostly live in difficult terrain so not shy of a hike, stalk.

I'm thinking about $10k for an elk. I'm not to versed on animal size but over here I hut sambar and a 30" model is the bench mark but anything from a 28"er up is exceptional generally and anything above 30" is the holy grail. so yeah an exceptional head would do! Want guaranteed tags but not a guaranteed hunt, don't want no fat cat hunt. I love to hunt sambar here in Australia and they are very shy and mostly live in difficult terrain so not shy of a hike, stalk.
Well, for 10k you can kill a pretty good sized elk, probably 300-320", with the possibility of something bigger. I'd you are wanting a elk/deer combo that will limit the trophy size, I'd expect to pay 14-15 if you want trophy quality on both. You would be well served going with an outfitter that runs on one of Utahs CWMU programs, where you can have guaranteed tags on private land, but still free ranging animals.

Well, for 10k you can kill a pretty good sized elk, probably 300-320", with the possibility of something bigger. I'd you are wanting a elk/deer combo that will limit the trophy size, I'd expect to pay 14-15 if you want trophy quality on both. You would be well served going with an outfitter that runs on one of Utahs CWMU programs, where you can have guaranteed tags on private land, but still free ranging animals.
And if was to drop the deer and just go the elk? Not he $$ just looked at the CWMU website and I wouldn't know where to start and it also appears non-resident tags ae unavailable?

And if was to drop the deer and just go the elk? Not he $$ just looked at the CWMU website and I wouldn't know where to start and it also appears non-resident tags ae unavailable?
I would go elk primarily yes, you may find that the outfitter will offer you a deer on top of your combo hunt at a reduced rate once you get close to your hunt dates, depending on how many he's sold. Just do the normal Google and forum searches for Utah outfitters, find a few that have good reviews and call and see if they have cwmu properties. Cwmu tags are not resident or non resident specific.

The ranch I guide on I think charges around 9k, we kill bulls in the 280-300 range typically, with generally aa fe larger each year.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.