Hunting opportunities in Arizona, Nevada, Utah? (deer or pronghorn)

Kenster-Boy

I am having a bit of a problem this year with finding where and how I am going to get a deer hunting season. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I joined the Air Force and just got my orders to Nellis AFB (Las Vegas Nevada) for the 18th of July meaning that I will be a resident there but not in the other two states so they would be non resident tags (don't know if that makes a difference or not). I know that it's a little late to get in on any good drawing hunts for Nevada, Utah, Arizona. I am looking to hunt mule deer and possibly pronghorn. I was wondering if any of you have any advice on what units/hunts that have good opportunities on public land etc. that I may get over the counter tags for. I am not quite sure what to do about now. . . any insight would be much appreciated!

P.S. Buck or doe hunts! It doesn't matter which. Just want to get my 7mag out in the field to do some long range killing!

Utah's deadlines have past, Nevada's is almost past. Note: If you have never applied in Nevada before, you have to register your hunter education # first. The deadline for that was the 10th. Arizona's deadlines are early June. Draw odds for antelope are less than 2% for all applicants with only 10% of tags going to non-residents. Dont expect to draw anything in AZ for a few years and then some.

On the brighter side, New Mexico has TONS of land owner tags available. That is, if youre willing to pay for them. Lots of deer, elk and antelope opprotunities available there. CO has some land owner tags but expect high $$. Utah and Nevada also have them but again high $$. If you bow hunt, AZ has over the counter deer tags.

Hope that helps!

Read the California regs very carefully for how they consider the military service men. They may consider you a resident for hunting purposes. You could have a resident license in both states. Sometimes you don't even have to pay.

Maybe I missed somnething but aren't there deer in Nevada?

Yep, indeed there are deer in nevada. But everything that I have read about it, it doesn't look like i'll be hunting for deer there in the next 3-4 years because of their darn pref. point systems. I haven't read or heard of ANY over the counter tags avail. in nevada. Maybe i'm wrong? If I am somebody please correct me!

As for california? That is my legal state of residence so I will be hunting there this year for sure! It's just that it would be nice to be able to go out and find a doe just for kicks and giggles. (cali doesn't allow shooting does AT ALL)

Thanks BB!

Re: Hunting opportunities in Arizona, Nevada, Utah? (deer or pronghorn

Meichle mentioned NM. If you are interested in private land in NM (the public application process is over) e-mail me and I'll try to help.

Re: Hunting opportunities in Arizona, Nevada, Utah? (deer or pronghorn

Thanks Dog Caller,

I will probably get in touch with you after I get settled into my new location.

Thanks, Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.