Hunting eBikes vs ATVs vs Side-by-Sides: What's better?

I have no issue with them being used anywhere one is legally allowed to ride a dirt bike or ATV. What I do have issue with is that the e bike industry is pushing a narrative (and legislation) that these are "bicycles" and should be allowed anywhere a bicycle is allowed. They are motorized. They literally have motors in them.

Yes but there is a major difference between a small 1hp electric motor meant for assisting while peddling and dirt bike with an average 50 hp tearing up the trails.

Yes but there is a major difference between a small 1hp electric motor meant for assisting while peddling and dirt bike with an average 50 hp tearing up the trails.
You are so right I had no idea the power was so limited. So I looked on YouTube and found 100's of videos showing what to do to decrease e bike power. I am so glad you brought this to my attention.
Check these out and I'm positive no one is actually doing things like this

I have severe Asthma, i take just abour every medication advertised on TV. After going to SW CO San Juan NF to go after elk, my very first one, I thought about buying an eBike for the next season to get me around, I didn't realize that they are not allowed.

On the trip last season I could not walk more than 300 yards, just parked the Taco off the side and tried ro find open space for overwatch. Did not see any, but had a great time.

There were a few able bodied younger guys in our group, they would have gladly help had I pur one on the ground. eBike or no eBike still joining the group this coming season

I have no issue with them being used anywhere one is legally allowed to ride a dirt bike or ATV. What I do have issue with is that the e bike industry is pushing a narrative (and legislation) that these are "bicycles" and should be allowed anywhere a bicycle is allowed. They are motorized. They literally have motors in them.
Isn't?

You are so right I had no idea the power was so limited. So I looked on YouTube and found 100's of videos showing what to do to decrease e bike power. I am so glad you brought this to my attention.
Check these out and I'm positive no one is actually doing things like this

So you bump up the power a bit and go faster on flat ground, that still doesn't make it a dirt bike.

The reason they don't want motorized vehicles on a lot of trails is because they tear them up and they have to be fixed not because people are going fast on them.

I do appreciate sharing beliefs and facts. I also believe most people prefer proven facts over beliefs. The crazy technology use dumbs some people down and helps me eliminate my ignorance.
So you bump up the power a bit and go faster on flat ground, that still doesn't make it a dirt bike.
I verified I was correct in my knowledge of what a dirt bike is.
And a motor
Not sure if your a full on hemi motor head or just a popper head like me.
3x just the motor HP might be a little bit. Some might think 66x is a little bit. Now don't forget Torque is involved in motor output and can be increased or decreased at the transfer location with gearing alone.
This helps explain. HP and Torque

I thought electric motor bikes were only to help assist while people peddle. Man I don't like being ignorant when I can learn facts.

@CMP70306 : The reason they don't want motorized vehicles on a lot of trails is because they tear them up and they have to be fixed not because people are going fast on them.
Remember it all started in 64 with the wilderness act. I just didn't see where having to fix trails was the basis.

Thank you for helping me reduce my ignorance.

I'm glad for you and making a living doing what you enjoy is awesome.

The agency is always exempt from
their own rules to a certain point. Again because an individual even a area manager personally has no issue does not mean anyone else can violate the law without risk of consequence.

I will take a pic next year of the ruts and spinning tire marks in our elk area. I'm glad you don't have hunters riding 35mph. I don't have radar eyes to know their speed. I can tell you they travel old single and two track faster than any horse we have can run.

You sell as many as you cani absolutely believe. I will feel the same until the LAWs and regulations allow ALL motorized vehicles not just ones the activists THINK are ok.
OHV's are ruining the landscape of the west faster than anything else right now. They're very appealing for those who can't transport themselves there under their own power and who also don't have the balance to ride a two wheeled vehicle. Nothing makes me more furious than seeing where some dotard has driven a four wheeled vehicle on a singletrack trail, turning it into a double track. Then, next week some dipsh!t will try to drive their truck up there. Why? Because if you give a man an engine, he thinks he's supposed to drive it everywhere it can possibly go. Why? Because we're lazy and that's what they do in the truck commercials.
And now you have the E-bikes and tons of hunters using them on non-motorized trails where they are not allowed. In Idaho e-bikes are not allowed on non-motorized trails, and that is statewide according to IDF&G. That said, I can't even count the number of lazy F's I saw on them this year on non-motorized trails. IDF&G is aware of it, but just doesn't have the manpower to catch them all. Personally I take pictures of license plates at the trailhead and call them as soon as I get reception. I have zero tolerance for this sh!t. This thread hits a nerve with me. This past hunting season was the most infuriating I've ever had from the standpoint of hunters doing stupid sh!t and breaking the rules. Next, we'll be wondering why land managers are cracking down so hard on us, and then we'll just blame that on a political party, all while going on being irresponsible idiots who give hunters a bad name. Sorry, rant over.

@svgreg oh brother where are though? You can tell I'm way past my last nerve with these. We never have had one confrontation with gas/electric powered anything except the electric motor bikes. We take photos of them including the hunter. Only ones who get confrontational are the fudges with pedals. The enforcement tickets everyone who doesn't have peddles and won't even talk them. Yes We point out to enforcement their ignorance and hypocrisy. They just stutter and stammer because they know it and know we know it.

I do appreciate sharing beliefs and facts. I also believe most people prefer proven facts over beliefs. The crazy technology use dumbs some people down and helps me eliminate my ignorance.

I verified I was correct in my knowledge of what a dirt bike is.
And a motor
Not sure if your a full on hemi motor head or just a popper head like me.
3x just the motor HP might be a little bit. Some might think 66x is a little bit. Now don't forget Torque is involved in motor output and can be increased or decreased at the transfer location with gearing alone.
This helps explain. HP and Torque

I thought electric motor bikes were only to help assist while people peddle. Man I don't like being ignorant when I can learn facts.

@CMP70306 : The reason they don't want motorized vehicles on a lot of trails is because they tear them up and they have to be fixed not because people are going fast on them.
Remember it all started in 64 with the wilderness act. I just didn't see where having to fix trails was the basis.

Thank you for helping me reduce my ignorance.

I wrote a bunch of things to your response but I honestly don't care enough about this topic to continue. I'm not a motor guy in the slightest as I have pretty much zero interest in them and vehicles are just a Point A to Point B tool for me. I don't have a dog in this fight as I hunt private land in PA and can take whatever I want where ever I want and that is typically either a Polaris Ranger or my own two feet.

I don't understand your hatred for these things but have fun with it.

@svgreg oh brother where are though? You can tell I'm way past my last nerve with these. We never have had one confrontation with gas/electric powered anything except the electric motor bikes. We take photos of them including the hunter. Only ones who get confrontational are the fudges with pedals. The enforcement tickets everyone who doesn't have peddles and won't even talk them. Yes We point out to enforcement their ignorance and hypocrisy. They just stutter and stammer because they know it and know we know it.
I'm in central Idaho. I've had this "discussion" (on this forum) with people who think electric bikes should be allowed everywhere. I've pointed out that in ID, they already have access to probably 75% of the trails. But that's not enough for them, they think they should be allowed everywhere. I disagree.
This conversation may seem frivolous to some, especially to people who don't live in places with large tracts of public land. But, in the West, this is a big deal. And these "rules aren't for me, I do whatever I want" types seem to be the ones who are increasingly flocking west (at least to Idaho). They've never even considered the idea of taking care of the land, or think that it doesn't pertain to anything they want to do. Many of them seem to think the land is here to "conquer" because that's what the truck or OHV commercial has shown them. It's frustrating as hell and is not going to bode well for hunting or public land in the future....

I wrote a bunch of things to your response but I honestly don't care enough about this topic to continue. I'm not a motor guy in the slightest as I have pretty much zero interest in them and vehicles are just a Point A to Point B tool for me. I don't have a dog in this fight as I hunt private land in PA and can take whatever I want where ever I want and that is typically either a Polaris Ranger or my own two feet.

I don't understand your hatred for these things but have fun with it.
I appreciate the dialogue and honesty from you it's right up my alley.
I don't have hatred towards any machine. I don't even have hatred towards machines that I witnessed kill our foreman and kill friends of mine real friends not associates I want no other human being to watch a machine kill another human being yeah I still don't hate machines
I don't have hatred towards 90% of the human beings on this planet.
I have dislike for abuse of another humans rights privileges because of another's individuals self-serving interests and behaviors.
I have a dislike for activist and special interest people who push their narrative without involving and assimilating some of the other sides ideas beliefs wants in a final result many Call it a compromise.
Rest assured there are individual humans activist self-serving individuals who yes I do have hatred for after I learn to know them for who they are what they believe and what they do not just on the surface.
I know that was long just trying to clarify how I feel so there are no longer assumptions and beliefs on how and what I feel about machines and humans

I have severe Asthma, i take just abour every medication advertised on TV. After going to SW CO San Juan NF to go after elk, my very first one, I thought about buying an eBike for the next season to get me around, I didn't realize that they are not allowed.

On the trip last season I could not walk more than 300 yards, just parked the Taco off the side and tried ro find open space for overwatch. Did not see any, but had a great time.

There were a few able bodied younger guys in our group, they would have gladly help had I pur one on the ground. eBike or no eBike still joining the group this coming season
Check the rules in the area. I don't know about the San Juan NF, but most areas in Idaho have tons of motorized trails and just a few non-motorized trails. E-bikes are allowed on the motorized ones, just not on the non-motorized ones.
And please don't get me wrong, my rant is not against using them where they are allowed. My position is that they should not be allowed everywhere, and that we as hunters need to understand and play by the rules. Right now, I pedal a bike on non-motorized trails and have a Rokon for the motorized stuff.

The hard part for the F&G enforcement officials is distinguishing between e-bikes and pedal bikes. If you aren't a cyclist, you may not know how to spot the battery. I've literally been turned around at a gate on my pedal bike by an F&G officer who couldn't tell the difference. I contacted the local district ranger and helped educate him. I was frustrated with it in the moment, but I appreciated that he was at least there trying to enforce the rules.

Recent Posts