Hunting eBikes vs ATVs vs Side-by-Sides: What's better?

Maybe I'm just out of the loop here as I have no experience with these things besides a brief period where I considered one a few months back but my understanding was that they weren't all that powerful and they already had limits on the power output where they could be used.

Are they really that big of an issue to get the level of discontent they are in this thread?
No. Some people are trying to drag politics in where it doesn't belong.

Really?
Can you haul an elk out on an ebike? Can you go through 14" of mud with your ebike? Can you drive through 15" of water on an ebike? Can you drive through a footof snow with an ebike?
Can you go 25 Miles, off road, in an hour on an ebike? Can you go 160 miles on an ebike, without recharging?
Can you haul firewood, water, and camp gear... simultaneously on an ebike? Can you carry your wife and two friends with you on an ebike?
No comparison. Rediculous question.
Back in 2006-10 I hunted off pedal power mountain bikes, a lot. We used them to get back in deep during bow season and early rifle.

My buddy killed a tag bull about 6 road miles back in. We boned out the back straps, tenderloins and rib & neck meat. That all went into a game bag, strapped to a pack frame with bow strapped to that.

The hind half or rear third, rather, got layers over the bike seat, butt facing forward. We strapped it down. The front of that bike had about 30 lbs of overnight stuff strapped to the basket above the front tire.

The front shoulders were done almost the same way, on the other bike. We left the horns stashed behind an old brush pile.

We walked the bikes out most of the way, there were little up hill pushes. We tried riding a few times but were concerned about the weight. These were normal mountain bikes. If fat tire mountain bikes existed back then, I had no idea.

Now that trailers have gotten better and YouTube has the DIY stuff and there are fat tire mountain bikes. The whole process would have been a lot more accommodating.

On another note, it's only a matter of time before E-bikes are allowed behind logging gates and restricted BLM roads, etc.

The thing I cannot get my head around is not being able to pull a cart into the wilderness areas. That is ridiculous.

No. Some people are trying to drag politics in where it doesn't belong.
Kind of hard to keep politics out since politics drives what we can and can't use on state and federal lands and even on private lands.

There's a large segment of the population that given the opportunity would ensure we never get to hunt again at all on public land and they are quite content to make it as difficult and expensive for us to do so as they can.

Unfortunately they are largely the same folks that want to either strip us of our gun rights completely in one fell swoop or simply to make gun ownership so expensive and the regulations and laws so onerous that we'll give them up "voluntarily".

Unfortunately politics is invading every aspect of our lives today.

I can definitely see some utility in having one of these things particularly just to get around on a larger piece of ground as quietly as possible.

I always have to laugh when I see guys "on the lease" driving around to get to their blinds just before daylight knowing the deer are laughing as well.

I still prefer horses, mules even more but you don't have to feed a bike year round or drag a trailer around to move it.

Most horses arent' smart enough to jump in the back of the truck for a ride without falling out unfortunately. I've had a few mules that would though. 😂

Kind of hard to keep politics out since politics drives what we can and can't use on state and federal lands and even on private lands.

There's a large segment of the population that given the opportunity would ensure we never get to hunt again at all on public land and they are quite content to make it as difficult and expensive for us to do so as they can.

Unfortunately they are largely the same folks that want to either strip us of our gun rights completely in one fell swoop or simply to make gun ownership so expensive and the regulations and laws so onerous that we'll give them up "voluntarily".

Unfortunately politics is invading every aspect of our lives today.
Unfortunately it appears that some within the ranks of hunters want to restrict other hunters that may otherwise have limited mobility or other reasons for needing something like an e bike to be able to enjoy the hunt like they do.

I just can't see an e bike being a huge detriment to anything. Side x sides and atvs certainly can and I can see those wanting to be regulated/restricted.

Perhaps the compromise is if you can show a medically necessary reason to use some other means than walking?

Unfortunately it appears that some within the ranks of hunters want to restrict other hunters that may otherwise have limited mobility or other reasons for needing something like an e bike to be able to enjoy the hunt like they do.

I just can't see an e bike being a huge detriment to anything. Side x sides and atvs certainly can and I can see those wanting to be regulated/restricted.

Perhaps the compromise is if you can show a medically necessary reason to use some other means than walking?
Being disabled myself I get it.

The problem is that these are the kinds of individuals who would be inclined to try and enforce themselves such a limitation for only those who can prove a need.

I was among the first generation of hunters/fishermen that suffered because of all the damage the idiots on their dirt bikes were doing going off trail in NM and CO resulting in the closures preventing any motorized transport at all. I'm fortunate that most states will allow the disabled to at least ride a horse or mule even in "walk in only" areas.

Before the closures this is what we rode. No, we never took them off trail and I've never found anything with two wheels that can do the things we did with the Trail Breaker.

1644851428961.png

You would not believe what you could haul with one of these and a little two wheeled trailer or sled.

I found an electric bike built similar to the trailbreaker. It's the Robo Systems Ultra 2x2. It comes with it's own generator and claims it will recharge in one hour. It's built in Dubai. Has anyone heard of this? I'm not sure what to expect with customer support and parts. Interesting concept, good price but not sure if the gamble is worth it.
Here is a link.

I found an electric bike built similar to the trailbreaker. It's the Robo Systems Ultra 2x2. It comes with it's own generator and claims it will recharge in one hour. It's built in Dubai. Has anyone heard of this? I'm not sure what to expect with customer support and parts. Interesting concept, good price but not sure if the gamble is worth it.
Here is a link.
I agree. Sounds extremely interesting. However, there doesn't seem to be a U.S. contact. Definately a deal breaker for me.

Being disabled myself I get it.

The problem is that these are the kinds of individuals who would be inclined to try and enforce themselves such a limitation for only those who can prove a need.

I was among the first generation of hunters/fishermen that suffered because of all the damage the idiots on their dirt bikes were doing going off trail in NM and CO resulting in the closures preventing any motorized transport at all. I'm fortunate that most states will allow the disabled to at least ride a horse or mule even in "walk in only" areas.

Before the closures this is what we rode. No, we never took them off trail and I've never found anything with two wheels that can do the things we did with the Trail Breaker.

View attachment 341083

You would not believe what you could haul with one of these and a little two wheeled trailer or sled.

Add their trailer and WOW!!

I think you are missing the point that others have been trying to make.
It isn't that ebikes shouldn't be able to be used- I dont think anyone thinks that. It's that they need to stay on motorized trails because yes, they ARE motorized.

Recent Posts