Howa muzzle brake

Had a brake like those in post #5 on a 16" 7.62X39 (bbl came that way). Every time I shot it that my friend next to me said "fark!" (well, not exactly, but you get the idea). The concussion from that little round was bad enough that I took it off while at the range and I could tell the difference in noise as the shooter! I was grateful for the brake on the Barrett .50 that I shot, but none of my rifles wear them any more. Maybe when I build a heavy recoiler I'll want one, but from my experience thus far I'd run it with only a thread protector.

Those are my hunting rifles in post #5 above.

They look like JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley MBs. If so, I have one on my .270 AI and they work extremely well.

.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

The MB pictured is #2 is from Ross Schuler. For $37, it includes tapering it down to your barrel and shipped. It's what's on my .30 Gibbs. The MBs OD is .750 and tapered to .565".

.30 Gibbs with Ross Schuler 4-port brake 1 of 3.jpg

.30 Gibbs with Ross Schuler 4-port brake 2 of 3.jpg

Last edited:
They look like JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley MBs. If so, I have one on my .270 AI and they work extremely well.

View attachment 189375
That is exactly what they are. I have them on 280 AI (both rifles in the photo) a 6.5/284, a 260rem, and a 6.5creed. I have since swapped one of the 280s to JP's new 3 baffle version. Can't really tell the difference. Thinking about getting an MDT brake, which appears to have the baffles angled back a bit.

That is exactly what they are. I have them on 280 AI (both rifles in the photo) a 6.5/284, a 260rem, and a 6.5creed. I have since swapped one of the 280s to JP's new 3 baffle version. Can't really tell the difference. Thinking about getting an MDT brake, which appears to have the baffles angled back a bit.

Cool! I have MBM's 4-port beast brake on my .264 WM and 5-port beast brake for one of my .30 Cals. Lots of good ones out there.

.264 WM Savage 111F LA + Eliteiron.jpg.264 WM scoped at the range.jpg5-port beast brake 2 of 2.jpg

The MB pictured is #2 is from Ross Schuler. For $37, it includes tapering it down to your barrel and shipped. It's what's on my .30 Gibbs. The MBs OD is .750 and tapered to .565".

View attachment 189377
View attachment 189379

I don't see how it's possible to do this... ?
You face the back of the brake to the approximate OD at the end of the tenon- but the brake still needs to be timed, which means setting back the barrel shoulder or additional facing of the back of the brake.

Can't see how this could be done any other way than the smith having the rifle in his hands...

I don't see how it's possible to do this... ?
You face the back of the brake to the approximate OD at the end of the tenon- but the brake still needs to be timed, which means setting back the barrel shoulder or additional facing of the back of the brake.

Can't see how this could be done any other way than the smith having the rifle in his hands...

Mine was done by my gunsmith since he had to re-chamber from .30-06 to .30 Gibbs and thread the muzzle as well as bead blast the brake. I originally was going for a self-timing MB but did not want to wait any longer because my gunsmith is going to be out of town for a while. Yes, it is ideal for a gunsmith install. I ordered it to my spec and came in as ...

Ross Schuler 4-port 1 of 4.jpg
Ross Schuler 4-port 2 of 4.jpg
Ross Schuler 4-port 3 of 4.jpg
Ross Schuler 4-port 4 of 4.jpg

Below was done the same way in 2003. It's Holland's QD brake on a .300WM, .750" tapered to .625". Still works like a champ.

Antelope on Savage 111F .300 WM.jpg

@ntsqd is correct, it is not the ideal method but it can be done with various types of nuts, washers, or shims to time it yourself. It just depends on what MB you have and how it is configured.

@rafterfp, sorry it is not my intention to hijack your post. This is my last response. I hope you resolve your issue out before the hunting season. Have a great Montana day. Be safe and God bless.

Ed

It's all good...I'm learning a bunch. Undecided on whether to get a brake or not...right now, I think I'll have them put a thread protector on. It's threaded so I can add a brake...(I'd really rather add a suppressor!)
I will say that the lady at Howa has been extremely nice to deal with and they seemed to regret the aluminum brakes they originally sourced. I'll be shipping it back May 1.

Good morning ya'll! Just a quick update. Sent the rifle back to Legacy and they shipped it to a gunsmith in Reno. He inspected it and suggested a new barrel. Some of the threads had been damaged and while he could have chased the threads and cleaned it up, he didn't think buying a new rifle should result in such an experience. Howa replaced the barrel and it ships back to MT today. Also, I had written an email to Randy Newberg and described the dilemma. He offered to help in any way possible and seemed truly concerned over the event. He reiterated he is not a fan of brakes. Overall, it was an unfortunate decision for Howa to go with an aluminum brake. Customer service has done all they could and expedited things as much as COVID-ly possible. I'll pick it up this week. Thanks for your replies and hopefully this thread helped someone else!

Good morning...not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I'll start here. I recently purchased a Howa 1500 Randy Newburg edition in .300winmag. Yesterday I took it out to sight it in and when I got home I noticed the muzzle brake was gone! I did not experience any weirdness while shooting...no extra noise, recoil, etc. I was shooting 3 shot groups and there was one group in which one of the shots did not hit the target. I assumed it to be shooter error, but was surprised because my other groups had been ok (under 2"). They were not great (I was shooting Federal 150gr; cheapest on the shelf for break-in), but all on the target. I think the missing shot must have been when it blew off. Have any of you experienced or heard such? I'll attach a pic. That is what's left of the brake. It was still screwed on...the front of the brake where all the holes were is gone! I didn't even notice til I got home and ran a cleaning rod down it and realized the brake was gone!View attachment 188960
This exact thing just happened to me. Same RN edition and caliber. Happened on the 28th shot through the rifle. I took a few shots at the beginning of my deer hunt. I noticed one shot missed the target and then saw it gone looking just like yours. Good no one was next to me. I plan to call Howa on Monday.