Howa 1500 308 accuracy issue

My original 1500 20" HB shot 185 Berger Juggernauts extremely well in front of VV N540. It was sending rainbows out to 1000 (2535fps) but was very consistent.

I had it cut down to 16.5" and wanted to run something lighter and went through almost 10 bullet powder combinations before finding one. I tried 165s, 168s, 175s and even a couple 150s with no luck.

On a whim I picked up some 155.5 Berger full bores and used Shooters World match rifle and bingo. Well below moa consistently

I get how frustrating it is but now I'm glad I was patient with it.

So I have sent the rifle to a gunsmith to check out. He checked scope base, rings, etc. He scoped the barrel and didn't see anything abnormal that was concerning. The crown wasn't messed up. Bolt and action seemed fine. Lugs weren't completely touching. Took the chassis off to check the bedding and make sure the trigger or anything wasn't hitting and all was well. He did tell me to try torquing the front to 45 and the rear to 25. So after having him look at the rifle I then went back and shot it. Tried 165 noslers, 168 smk with varget and 4895 and still am around 1.5"-2+ inches. Factory loads are worse. I have moved my grains up and down and nothing helps. Am I an idiot for wanting to send it back to Howa so soon. I have about 90ish rounds through it so far

So I have sent the rifle to a gunsmith to check out. He checked scope base, rings, etc. He scoped the barrel and didn't see anything abnormal that was concerning. The crown wasn't messed up. Bolt and action seemed fine. Lugs weren't completely touching. Took the chassis off to check the bedding and make sure the trigger or anything wasn't hitting and all was well. He did tell me to try torquing the front to 45 and the rear to 25. So after having him look at the rifle I then went back and shot it. Tried 165 noslers, 168 smk with varget and 4895 and still am around 1.5"-2+ inches. Factory loads are worse. I have moved my grains up and down and nothing helps. Am I an idiot for wanting to send it back to Howa so soon. I have about 90ish rounds through it so far
Had a customer buy a Howa 7mm-08 that just would not shoot with 140s. It would however drive tacks with 120s. Unfortunately that was a little light for what the owner wanted. Sounds like you got a lemon but try some 150s or some 175-180s. There may be something usable but it stinks that you have to keep pouring money into load development. Oops, see you have already done that. Different powder may help. Or even different brass.

I had read on a forum about a guy with a Howa doing it and had good luck with breaking it in and helping with cleaning
Well for what its worth I always used the Shilen method on all my stuff new or used and it never failed me. I will add bad harmonics in a/the stock can do exactly whats happening to you.

Im just grasping at straws here but how is the scope parallax? If the parallax isn't set right it can be extremely difficult to shoot decent group.
Are your groups round? Are they stringing from side to side? Or vertically?

Had a customer buy a Howa 7mm-08 that just would not shoot with 140s. It would however drive tacks with 120s. Unfortunately that was a little light for what the owner wanted. Sounds like you got a lemon but try some 150s or some 175-180s. There may be something usable but it stinks that you have to keep pouring money into load development. Oops, see you have already done that. Different powder may help. Or even different brass.
I have a Howa 25-06 that would not shoot 117 gr of any manufacturer. So on a whim I bought some PPU 90 gr HP. And it loves them. The barrel is a 1 10 twist. It should not have a issue with 117 gr. But it does. I think that is why I got the rifle so cheap at Cabelas. It was in the used gun rack. I was about ready too get rid of it or have it re barreled. I like their action. Very smooth. Just picky on ammo.

You are doing exactly what I want to, with the 1500 HB. This is disappointing.
Please keep us apprised.
FWIW, I might have taken a different methodology, but it appears you have a very poor rifle.
One man's opinion, of course.

My personal experience with harmonics. 222 Sako Riihimaki had it shooting 0.018 groups @ 100 yd. It was varmint barrel with beaver tail stock and was barrel heavy and would dump itself off the hart rest. I decided to add weight in the butt end, sooo I removed butt plate drilled the hole for a glass cigar tube full of 7 1/2 shot which weighed 1#. Went to hell, ruined,, 2" groups. Took the tube out filled it with hot paraffin, wrapped it in newspaper until tight then poured wax over that, butt plate on and bang right back to where it used to be and shooting house flies every shot at 100 yards. I'm just sayin its important. That Sako was free floater and action was set in epoxy with zero slack anywhere, glued in...

Some barrels are hummers and some are bummers. The percentage of bummers goes up dramatically with factory rifles. Not sure if howa has any accuracy guarantee. I would measure the distance to the lands where you are at saami coal. You know it doesn't shoot there. Load to max mag length or barely touching lands. Then back off in .020 to about.120 see what happens. Use whatever load shot the best. The 168 smk is known to be accurate.

Some barrels are hummers and some are bummers. The percentage of bummers goes up dramatically with factory rifles. Not sure if howa has any accuracy guarantee. I would measure the distance to the lands where you are at saami coal. You know it doesn't shoot there. Load to max mag length or barely touching lands. Then back off in .020 to about.120 see what happens. Use whatever load shot the best. The 168 smk is known to be accurate.
I believe they do have a accuracy guarantee.
From their website.

LEGACY SPORTS INT. GUARANTEES ALL HOWA M1500 RIFLES DELIVER SUB MOA PERFORMANCE OF 1 INCH OR LESS AT 100 YARDS WITH PREMIUM FACTORY AMMUNITION.

Legacy Sports International requires an original receipt, and that the firearm be registered with Legacy Sports International. Firearms need to be registered within 30 days of purchase. Please click here, to register your firearm as soon as possible after purchase, and keep your original receipt as proof of purchase.
If you have an accuracy issue you believe is due to a manufacturer's defect with your HOWA rifle, please contact us for additional assistance.

My go to test for 308 guns of any kind is to feed it Federal Gold Medal Match 175 and if it does not shoot that up to your standards the gun probably never will.

Don't get re wrong I reload all of rifle cartridges and only advocate buying FGMM 175's as a test, the stuff shoots amazingly well in a wide range of rifles unless the barrel has a twist rate slower than 12, which would not be found in a factory rifle.

I believe they do have a accuracy guarantee.
From their website.

LEGACY SPORTS INT. GUARANTEES ALL HOWA M1500 RIFLES DELIVER SUB MOA PERFORMANCE OF 1 INCH OR LESS AT 100 YARDS WITH PREMIUM FACTORY AMMUNITION.

Legacy Sports International requires an original receipt, and that the firearm be registered with Legacy Sports International. Firearms need to be registered within 30 days of purchase. Please click here, to register your firearm as soon as possible after purchase, and keep your original receipt as proof of purchase.
If you have an accuracy issue you believe is due to a manufacturer's defect with your HOWA rifle, please contact us for additional assistance.

I doubt they honor that being the first rounds are tubbs lapping rounds. They may, but I'm sure if they know that part of the equation, they won't. I always thought that those were a last resort and I personally would not start with them on a barrel break in.

My go to test for 308 guns of any kind is to feed it Federal Gold Medal Match 175 and if it does not shoot that up to your standards the gun probably never will.

Don't get re wrong I reload all of rifle cartridges and only advocate buying FGMM 175's as a test, the stuff shoots amazingly well in a wide range of rifles unless the barrel has a twist rate slower than 12, which would not be found in a factory rifle.
If it won't shoot one of the loads I gave him earlier he is in the same boat. Those are known accuracy/match loads and one is a gold medal clone. The only ones that aren't known are the AR Comp loads but they are stellar in my finicky rifles