HOWA 1500 270 WIN Toast

USAFRet

So, got a HOWA 1500 in 270 WIN a while back. Got a B&C stock for it and it fit perfect. Go to the range and the best group I ever got from it was 5". Sent back to Legacy back in January. Needless to say, there must be a lot of returns. Just got notified today it is trash and needs to be replaced. No 270s in stock for at least 2 months (based in the timeframe given for warranty work, that will be more like a year). Other option is a different caliber. So, I have to go with a long action if I want to use my stock. Plus, I already have quite a few short action rifles. It looks like my only option is a 30-06. I can load it down some with my shoulder issues. Already have dies and brass.

Wish they had a 25-06.

Bummer but nothing wrong with the '06! That'd be my preference in the first place. You'll have many ammo options and endless if you reload. Getting ready to play around with a light weight 30-06 loaded up with 124g Hammer Hunters, should be very fast with reduced recoil.

Well, can you lighten loads on a 7mm Rem Mag? That is the only rifle they have in stock to send besides another 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor and I have several and don't need another. They would not even entertain a different rifle.

Well, I emailed the warranty rep and told him to hold on sending the rifle. I emailed the VP of sales and customer service and told them this was unacceptable. I also contacted Bud's Gun Shop, who I bought the rifle through, to see if there is something they can do. The more I think about this the more irritated I get. If this was Ruger or some other company, they would probably send me any rifle I wanted within a reasonable price.

I have a Howa 1500 in 7mm-08. Nice rifles. I'd be tempted to wait for the .270 if that is what you want. I'm sure that you can shoot some light (eg. 120gr Hammer Hunter) bullets in the 7mm Rem Mag with a faster powder. More velocity and less recoil.

I have a Howa 1500 in 7mm-08. Nice rifles. I'd be tempted to wait for the .270 if that is what you want. I'm sure that you can shoot some light (eg. 120gr Hammer Hunter) bullets in the 7mm Rem Mag with a faster powder. More velocity and less recoil.
The way he talked it could be a year before they get a 270. Plus, I just don't want to have to buy dies and brass. I can say, a 7mm Rem Mag is something I have no desire to own. Basically, I told my FFL about it and he called BS. So, at the worst, I might get jerked around for a week or two and still get the rifle. A 308 and 270 with a brake or suppressor is about all I can handle with torn up shoulders and a titanium rod in my neck.

@USAFRet
How frustrating. As you said, a .25-06 would be a great alternative to the .270, but not an option. I liked the 7mm RM loaded with lightweights idea posted by @David_h ...basically makes it the same as a .270 and since you were ok with .270 recoil, that seems like the best "right now" option if you want to use the stock you already bought. Seriously. Look at 7mm RM 140gr starting & mid-range loads...basically a .270Win firing a .284" bullet. Easy button.

The way he talked it could be a year before they get a 270. Plus, I just don't want to have to buy dies and brass. I can say, a 7mm Rem Mag is something I have no desire to own. Basically, I told my FFL about it and he called BS. So, at the worst, I might get jerked around for a week or two and still get the rifle. A 308 and 270 with a brake or suppressor is about all I can handle with torn up shoulders and a titanium rod in my neck.
I posted a Howa 270 win threaded barreled action through Brownell's for $399. All ready to throw on a muzzle brake or can. But I also saw they have a 15% Memorial Day sale for items over $200. Maybe worth a purchase and then figure out what to do with the returned Howa later.

Edit: On essential items two is one, one is none ;)

Last edited:
Well, I emailed the warranty rep and told him to hold on sending the rifle. I emailed the VP of sales and customer service and told them this was unacceptable. I also contacted Bud's Gun Shop, who I bought the rifle through, to see if there is something they can do. The more I think about this the more irritated I get. If this was Ruger or some other company, they would probably send me any rifle I wanted within a reasonable price.
I think I'd get that Brownells' barreled action and see if Howa would send you something that is more expensive than what you purchased. Maybe in a 7 PRC or some other hot item seller. Then sell the replacement. Good luck, I hope it works out.

Recent Posts