How to use a BDC Retitcle that is zeroed at 200yards

pastorjoe

I have a new scope that I am trying to get ready for elk and other big game hunting. It is a Monarch 4-16x42SF M BDC because of the size of ammunition it says to zero it in at 200 yards. Ok after that is said and done and I am out hunting and a critter comes within 100 yards how do I know where to aim using the crosshairs?

For a 100 yd target the bullet impact will be reasonably close to your aiming point so just aim and fire. For example if I zero my 300 Win Mag at 200 yds the bullet will impact high about 1.5". This is well within the kill zone of big game animals.

AS ShtrRdy replied, place the cross hairs on the animal and fire. I have the BDC scopes on
both my 25-06 and 243 AI, and they are 1.40 to 1.5 inches high at 100 yards.

I have a new scope that I am trying to get ready for elk and other big game hunting. It is a Monarch 4-16x42SF M BDC because of the size of ammunition it says to zero it in at 200 yards. Ok after that is said and done and I am out hunting and a critter comes within 100 yards how do I know where to aim using the crosshairs?
Use a ballistic calculator with your load information to give you the bullet's trajectory. Depending on your bullet and load you're most likely going to be 1.5-2" high at 100yds at most so if you're going for the heart/lung shot it's not going to make any significant difference at all.

If you'll look on Youtube you can probably find an explanation for how the BDC on your scope works.

If it's at 100 yards just center the crosshairs, pull the trigger and forget it!!! You're overthinking it!

With any distances beyond 200 yards, since this is a Nikon, it's easy.

Nikon has a website where you can input your bullet, velocity, BC, etc as well as which Nikon scope you have. It then will tell you at various powers exactly where to aim. Take a look: http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/spoton.html#:4

You can print drop charts if you want, or you can also buy SpotOn to use on your smart phone.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.