How to Do a Kick (Br)*** Job of Cleaning Brass

I used the vibratory/media method for years if I bothered to clean my brass at all.
Several months back I was convinced to give the wet/stainless pin method a try. I bought the STM kit which appears to be the best of the current models.

It can be seen here:
Stainless Steel Reloading Supplies | Tumblers, Separators, Media, Brass & More!

I used this new tumbler on some particularly dirty brass as a test. I must say that I was totally sold in a single use. Use the correct amount of Dawn & LemShine and the brass comes out better then new. Literally better then new.

Pockets get cleaned very well and the inside of the case is just about as clean as the outside.

Ed: I've discussed this with you before but to rehash it.....

Forget the STM and the Thumlers Tumbler. The hot and cheaper setup is the Frankfort Arsenal Tumbler / stainless pin kit for $170 at Cabelas, $160.00 at Graffs plus your old dry media seperator (rotary style), a couple 5 gallon buckets, your bathtub / laundry sink and a bottle of Dawn dishwashing liquid and a bottle of Lemishine (liquid or powder).

Don't forget the Frankfort Arsenal retrieval magnet (makes collecting pins from the media separator a snap from the bottom of the 5 gallon rinse bucket too.

The FA wet tumbler holds way more than the Thumlers unit and has a built in timer too. It comes complete with 5 pounds of SS 304 (slightly magnetic) pins and a sample of cleaning solution that I never used.

It's direct drive (no belts like the Thumlers and unlike the Thumlers/STM package, each end of the barrel on the FA tumbler has a clear window to watch whats going on inside (it's kinda interesting to watch, Additionally, on the FA tumbler you can replace the clear end caps with included strainer caps to rinse the brass off and keep it in the barrel.... I just dump mine in a media separator and rotate that.

It removes the pins and then I rinse the brass in a bucket and spread on a cookie sheet and dry in mom's oven on low for 15 minutes or use her (when she isn't home) dehydrator...either way works just fine.

The cases are as clean inside as out and the pockets and flash holes are like new. They don't get as shiny as dry tumbling but it's cleaner and twice as fast. I can tumble range pickups from the club that are green with age and in an hour, look like new (probably workhardened though)....

I think it's a better deal than the Thumlers / STM package, it's certainly cheaper and you can get replacement media packs on Flea-Bay if, you are prone to loosing oins..... I'm not. The magnet makes sure none get away......

Amy can keep the dryer sheets for the dryer, don't need 'em.

The wet system is basically twice the cost of a dry tumbler initially, but you never replace the pins and you don't need polishing compound and primer pocket prep is a thing of the past so it's really a wash in the end (no pun intended).

If I was getting into reloading, I'd just go the wet route and forget a vibrating rumbler or ultrasonic cleaner entirely...IMO.

I used the vibratory/media method for years if I bothered to clean my brass at all.
Several months back I was convinced to give the wet/stainless pin method a try. I bought the STM kit which appears to be the best of the current models.

It can be seen here:
Stainless Steel Reloading Supplies | Tumblers, Separators, Media, Brass & More!

I used this new tumbler on some particularly dirty brass as a test. I must say that I was totally sold in a single use. Use the correct amount of Dawn & LemShine and the brass comes out better then new. Literally better then new.

Pockets get cleaned very well and the inside of the case is just about as clean as the outside.

Too expensive. The FA kit complete is $170 at Cabelas, $160 at Graffs and a cheaop rotary separator from Cabelas is 20 bucks so 190 total is a lot better than $249.00 and the FA unit has more capacity.... and has, interestingly, the same pins and the same weight of pins.

No brainer.

Another tip for wet tumbling.

Use Metho to rinse! (Methylated Spirits)

After a water rinse to get rid of dirt & detergent, rinse your cases in Metho.
Being water soluble it will absorb the residual water then evaporate away quickly.
A rub with a towel will help as well but I prefer a squirt of compressed air as I go thru each case (two at a time) to look for any stuck pins.

The Metho can be re-used many times & is only slightly diluted each time.
I have been using the same 4L for about 4yrs now & only ready to replenish 2L of it now.

Make your Tumbler drum from some 4" PVC pipe & put wooden dowels in it for paddles to save some coin as well! :)

Mick.

If you don't have loads of brass to clean at one time just go on Amazon and buy a few Krazy Kloth. This product works great for low volume and doesn't cost squat.gun).................................................:)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.