How to blowup your rifle

You've changed the discussion slightly but significantly. It's now solely "problems of some type".
Whereas your initial post included "problems with otherwise normal/safe loads."

I suppose it depends on your definition of problems.

I contend that normal/safe loads shouldn't generate malfunctions of the cartridge case or firearm when fired in a chamber containing some corrosion protecting lubricant. My definition of "normal/safe" is a load not exceeding SAAMI pressure limits for the cartridge.
I didn't mean to imply that an oily chamber is what caused this problem, just pointing out that oil in the chamber CAN cause problems because you seemed to be dismissing that idea all together? Sorry for distracting from the discussion of what was actually the root cause.

i was going to try retumbo in my 338 lapua buuut not now we shoot in the cold here in Canada so that wont work h1000 or re22 will do nicely thanks for the heads up and sorry for your loss.
It's not Retumbo, look how many use Retumbo in cold temps a lot with zero issues. H1000 is excellent, R22 is one of the worst for temp stability.

374 posts about how some guy overloaded a round and locked up the bolt on his rifle. Then comes the drama about some wanna be gunsmith totally screwed up the rifle because he did't have any common sense. Total waste of time reading such garbage, but wait, I did learn that the rifle owner has a lot of company when it comes to no knowledge of firearms.

374 posts about how some guy overloaded a round and locked up the bolt on his rifle. Then comes the drama about some wanna be gunsmith totally screwed up the rifle because he did't have any common sense. Total waste of time reading such garbage, but wait, I did learn that the rifle owner has a lot of company when it comes to no knowledge of firearms.
No positive contribution at all.

Problem, locked up bolt on Rem 700, easy solution. The Rem bolt has backlash, meaning the bolt when closed on an empty chamber will go farther forward than when it has a properly loaded round in it. Now when a over loaded round fired in it the case doesn't spring back enough to relieve the contact with the bolt head. A couple things to mention, a new case will spring back better than a well used and not annealed case. Now to the easy fix, the bolt when locked up is at its rearmost position. The cocking piece is screwed into the rear of the bolt, actually looks like a bolt screwed into the bolt. You can tap or pound on the rear of the cocking piece to resize the case enough to open the bolt. I would use a piece of wood of something to cushion the cocking piece. This would have work on this rifle, looking at the case tells me it was not grossly overloaded.

I have been thinkin' the same as Dan, nearly 400 posts on an overload.

Many wanted to b the brightest in the class, I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.