How much does your LRH rifle weigh?

For a carry rifle in NE PA hills, my limit is 12lbs including front/rear bipod.
I carry ammo, LRF, Kestrel, ballictic calculator, compass, in a radiomans bag, and a foldup shooting mat as well.
A 3-5mi loop up & down, cross creeks, fencelines, fields, etc with this, provides enough exercise for me...

Pre-war Model 70, Krieger 26" barrel, McMillan stock .338 Remington Ultra Magnum, Viass muzzle break. Never weighed it without scope, but subtracting what Leupold says their Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T weighs, guessing rings and bases = Just shy of 7.5 pounds. Stock is an older style-and I'm shopping some of the new models with hopes of dropping 4 ounces.

Last edited:
338 Ultra mag. Rem. 700-30 inch Broughton tube with Muscle brake, Joel Russo Ironwood stock and Burris Black Diamond 6X-24X.
15lbs. Ready to Rock and easily carried in case on backpack.

Tarey

Rem 700 LA 6mmm-284 (LH of course :D) 26" Krieger BBL+brake, McM A-5, NightForce Direct mount, PTG oversized bolt H-S precision DBM.

13.75lbs Neked (mounts included)

15.4ish with Leupy 8.5-25

Last edited:
7WSM

25" Hart Fluted #4 with an Edge Fill Model 70 Hunter

7.25 lbs before scope
8.75 in the mountains

My "go to" LRH rifle for all heavy game (mulies through brown bear) is a 300 Jarrett. Nesika action, Jewell Trigger, Kreiger 28" Stainless Fluted in a Macmillan composite and Leupold 6.5-20 50mm. Total weight 9lbs 10 oz's. Only additional weight not included is a sling. I don't use a bipod for anything, so that is not in the weight either.

Sorry about not furnishing a bare weight, but going on a hog hunt today and no time to reset the scope.

Len,

This is a great thread and I'm keen to see the poll.

But, how will you deal with the guys that have dozens of LRH rifles?

They're probably the most knowledgable resources.

Do they get just one vote?

Do they list their lightest, heaviest, average, or preferred rifle?

Perhaps they base their decision on flat land vs mountain terrain?

thanks!
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.