How to blowup your rifle

FYI, there are lots of good shooters running Berger's of many variations "jammed".
I know and I understand this. My comment is just an educated guess, like every other post responding to the original post in question. Without having been there to see the weapon, examine it. Watch and participate in the actual loading process and then going to fire them, see the rifle being thoroughly cleaned, inside the bore and chamber. Making notes of results of fired rounds at the range in Data book. Returning to the bench at home; observing case preparation from Start to Finish. Maintain Safe, consistant reloading Reloading with all the EXACT SAME COMPONETS; then going back to the range to fire for the search of his PET LOAD; WE are ALL JUST SPECULATING! GOOD LUCK Friend. Maintain Safe and Consistant Loading Procedures, and eventually YOU will figure out WHAT HAPPENED!
Theosmithjr

CliffNotes........Shiiiiiiit happens......
Sometimes...somewheres....and most likely.....unexpectedly....
That's what rattles our brain....how did I do this......

After getting the barrel of and doing some measuring I found the barrel was swelled in the tenon, I bore scoped it and it looked to be fairly carboned up early in the bore so I ran some bore cleaner just to brighten up the copper fouling. The fowling was heavy, and had a peeling look at the edge of the rifling, I used a reamer bushing and sized it to be just snug then I cleaned the snot out of it, it took some aggressive cleaning but not like it was the worst I've seen. There was a fairly continuous coating of copper from about 8 inches in all the way to the muzzle which is a fair bit. After cleaning the bushing did fit much easier but I couldn't get another .0004 larger bushing in.
I did try to measure bore movement based on temp and through a -20 to 40 degree temp swing I could measure no change with a bushing inside or a precision Brown and Sharp digital mic which can easily read tenths so I don't think temp constricted the barrel.
It was more than poor brass since there is massive evidence of way more pressure than just a poor case and I don't think any other brass would have changed the outcome. and no evidence of a length issue.
The OP reloading practice looks solid, no way to double charge, really no way to even over load to this level. Jambing a bullet will not take you from OK to catastrophic.
I don't think the fouling helped the situation but I'm not convinced it was a cause unto itself.
Detonation or bridging, something to do with how the powder lite I would say could not be ruled out or explained.
In the end I think all a guy can do is make sure follow some of the basics of reloading, one powder out on the table, keep brass in spec, when changing a major component clean the barrel cause done right your only helping yourself and your equipment, these are things within our scope of total control, beyond that I think some odd things happen every once in a great while that can not be explained and may never and that is why we do our best with what is totally under our control. I honestly can't see anything I would do different except clean the bore between components but unless the bullet would be welded in the bore the physical evidence is so minute it would only be an guess the exact chain of events if there was one.

Thanks BnG for your time and effort to bring light on the cause of this event. Some large capacity cases seem to be more prone to the unusual behavior. Eliminate causes and the most probable seems to be poor ignition that led to very high pressure?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.