How often do you clean your barrel between shots?

KQguy

Usually I fire off 3 foul shots before I start shooting for load testing.After I do that,how many shots can I fire off before needing to clean my barrel?I want to keep everything as consistant as possible.Do I need to use a solvent,or can I just run a bore snake down my barrel every few shots?I was afraid if I used a solvent it would throw my shots of without doing more foul shots.

time to clean.

Your barrel will tell you when its time to clean it. As a rule I clean every 15-30 rds depending on the gun.

I use a bore snake and like it. I run the boresnake about every 20 shots OR when I change to a new test batch of cases that uses another powder. I also find that if I do 2 swipes of the boresnake before packing up to go home the gun cleans much easier when I do get at it with a good cleaning at home.

When load testing: 3 foulers, followed by no more than 20 - 22 rounds using the same powder. When I switch to a load using a different powder, I clean with solvent, then three foulers with the new powder.

IMHO, bore snakes don't remove barrel fouling as thoroughly as solvent.

You can use solvent and then run a few dry patches through to get out most of the solvent. After that take a patch and wet it with rubbing alcohol and get the solvent out of the chamber and then run a patch wet with alcohol down the barrel to remove the oily residue from the solvent. The alcohol will remove the oil and then dry quickly. You may not need fouling shots, check and see how it works.

You can use solvent and then run a few dry patches through to get out most of the solvent. After that take a patch and wet it with rubbing alcohol and get the solvent out of the chamber and then run a patch wet with alcohol down the barrel to remove the oily residue from the solvent. The alcohol will remove the oil and then dry quickly. You may not need fouling shots, check and see how it works.
That's a good idea,that could save alot of ammo after a while.I will give that a try next time I work on my loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.