How much did you spend on equipment (not supplies) to reload?

I wish more men would realize why its not OK to run your wives down to other people. Just because it's socially acceptable, doesn't mean it's right.

A Prometheus can be bought outright for $5500, though I'd recommend getting an extra trickler body, plates, and the vibratory trickler as well... so that will push you up closer to $7k.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I think I have the most minimalist of any of the answers here. My whole reloading operation fits in the corner of my office. I reload for .223, 22cm, .243, 6.5cm, 280ai, 30-06ai, 7.62x40wt, and for 40 and 9mm pistol. I added up the equipment I am currently using below. Have gone through several different presses to find one that works and fits where I want it set up so only calculating the cost of one (the least expensive, lol).
Partner press 125
Chargemaster 300
Beam scale 100
Digital Calipers 50
Die sets - some lee, some hornady, some rcbs, total for all about $600
Bullet puller set up - 80 puller and collets
Case prep tool - 40
Little crow trimmer for 223 & 7.62x40 - 125
Other trimmer set - 40
Total here is about 1460

Edit - forgot the tumbler - 75

Total that I use 1535

Attachments

• IMG_1450.jpg
    IMG_1450.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 50
I bought the original stuff used from a guy that needed money as he just had a baby (no, his wife had the baby - I don't care what KBJ says) and that was $200 about 30 years ago. Since then I bought an electronic powder measurer, dies, had to replace the old RCBS tumbler, and a bunch of misc. small tools. The original purchase included a Lyman press, powder scale, case trimmer, a primer tool, and a pile of other small items. If you take out all the dies we have bought over the years for the various calibers my sons have procured over the course of 20 years, I have right at $1000 in it all. The dies would add probably $200-300 more.

And over those 30 years, I have reloaded thousands of rounds.

Well I just bought a Dillon xl750 full set that was 2K not including anything else. Id say all together about 8K... i got alot on auctions cheep tho

Reloading equipment purchased over 46 years two shotshell presses one single stage for rifle. 50 sets of dies etc. Probably $10,000.00 total cost. Immeasurable satisfaction and fun. All animals taken over this time frame with reloaded ammunition. Most rifles never seen factory ammo. Got away from the shotshell reloading when it went to steel shot in local jurisdictions. Cant put a price on enjoyment over the years.

The equipment I use on a regular basis is; Dillon 550, Redding T7, old Rockchucker, Dillon tumbler and case separator, Pact dispenser and scale, RCBS beam scale Frankford Arsenal trickler,dies as needed. Toolheads and powder drops for the Dillon. Hornady headspace tools Dial caliper, load data book, and Load manuals from Hornady and Nosler. You do the math. I probably forgot something, but you can get started cheap. The more expensive equipment for me is to save time. Less time loading = more time shooting. Shooting is my hobby, loading is the work need to shoot more.

I forgot the RCBS case prep tool, Redding case trimmer and RCBS APS primer tool and tool to load aps straps and a prer flip tray.

I have heard lots of folks asking how much does it cost to reload. There is the initial expense and there are the ongoing expenses. Like updating equipment when something new or improved comes out. Or you get into another caliber. All in, how much do you have in equipment only?
Room buildout, power, flooring,benches, tool chests, shelving, lights 4000$
Equipment= 16 calibers and counting. Presses, scales, powder dispensers, brass prep equipment, neck turning lathe, trim dies, varies tools and calipers, and specialized dies & equipment.12-15k
Primers, powder, bullets, brass = 15k

You can tell your wife it will save your money and it can if you are making some very basic ammo on a single stage press. A balance scale or a 20$ electronic scale and just hand tools. All in maybe 500$ Components are what they are. Maybe pick up brass from local ranges.
You'll make some decent hunting ammo or pistol ammo. Getting into the precision game will cost significantly more.

I have heard lots of folks asking how much does it cost to reload. There is the initial expense and there are the ongoing expenses. Like updating equipment when something new or improved comes out. Or you get into another caliber. All in, how much do you have in equipment only?
around 1500.00-1800 with everything for all cals I shoot

I bought a lot of my stuff over the course of years. I also did a lot of shopping around at gunshows and forums to find deals. Below is the list of reloading equipment I have and I use some different equipment for different types of cartridges (pistol, rifle, black powder).

RCBS JR3 press- $40 gunshow great shape
Bald Eagle scale- $90 discounted
RCBS ChargeMaster- hand me down from a distinguished shooter. Retail ~$300
Lee Perfect powder measure- $30
Redding 3BR powder measure- $40 used local gun store
Lyman Trim Xpress- $130
Lyman chamber/deburr tools- $40ish
RCBS bullet puller and collets- $100
Lee hand primer with shell holders- $20 brand new in box at a gun show
Area 419 powder funnel set- Gift but ~$100 retail
Shell board- $10
Lee depriming die- $15
MCM powder funnel kit - $15
Hornady Headspace comparator kit- $50
Hornady BTO comparator and inserts- $50

Total without gifts- $630
Total with gifts- $1030

You don't need 3 powder dispensers, so you could have closer to $700 in it without any gifts if you shop around for deals and similar products I use. You can also save money if you find better deals on a used case trimmer or use a kinetic bullet puller. The dies and shell holders I don't consider because everyone is going to have different cartridges and preferred brands. But I probably have $300 in those. I use Hornady dies 90% of the time.

Midway lists a RCBS complete reloading kit for $420 (without dies). Lee's are much less. That is plenty for the beginning reloader. We all add items as we go along, but I've found that shopping eBay and estate sales, I've put together kits for my friends that are very inexpensive.

I started with a LEE single stage kit years ago, and served me well. I added a vibrator cleaner. So, at todays prices, just look up these two items and containers foe finished cartridges. I would think $500 would cover all equipment. I was making reloads far cheaper than purchased ammo. I now have additional equipment, but still can reload for less and get better reliability and accuracy.