How much did you spend on equipment (not supplies) to reload?

I have heard lots of folks asking how much does it cost to reload. There is the initial expense and there are the ongoing expenses. Like updating equipment when something new or improved comes out. Or you get into another caliber. All in, how much do you have in equipment only?
I promise whatever you spend to start loading it will be a drop in the bucket compared to what you WILL spend if you get involved in the Hobby. You will NOT SAVE ANY MONEY! Any savings you might see will quickly be eaten up by shooting more. You buy components in bulk to save money. Worthless sitting on the shelf so you load them. If you load them you will shoot them! With factory you might only shoot a box every so often. You start continually testing loads and shoot hundreds... You begin a quest to see just how well you can get your equipment to perform. You become a much better shot, and then some guy says "Shoots pretty good. We have a match on Saturday. Why don't you come out?" You go and are disappointed you come in last or nearly so. Determined to do better, you spend more and learn some tricks from those guys. This continues until you are at the point you have some trophies, but would never divulge what you have invested, especially to your wife, unless she catches the fever too and you are both toast. You will learn in time there is no such thing as luck. Those that work hardest, win. It is a disease worse than Golf, Bass Fishing or Cocaine. The good news is you will learn skills that no one can take away. I am so sick of loading shells its pitiful, but my wife has a new skeet gun and my oldest daughter wants to come shoot with us. I have 10k 28ga shells to load and am dreading it. It will take at least all weekend with no help other than shooting them. Guess that's reward enough. tired of loading rifle and pistol shells right now anyway. This isn't a rabbit hole my friend. It is a bottomless pit.

I promise whatever you spend to start loading it will be a drop in the bucket compared to what you WILL spend if you get involved in the Hobby. You will NOT SAVE ANY MONEY! Any savings you might see will quickly be eaten up by shooting more. You buy components in bulk to save money. Worthless sitting on the shelf so you load them. If you load them you will shoot them! With factory you might only shoot a box every so often. You start continually testing loads and shoot hundreds... You begin a quest to see just how well you can get your equipment to perform. You become a much better shot, and then some guy says "Shoots pretty good. We have a match on Saturday. Why don't you come out?" You go and are disappointed you come in last or nearly so. Determined to do better, you spend more and learn some tricks from those guys. This continues until you are at the point you have some trophies, but would never divulge what you have invested, especially to your wife, unless she catches the fever too and you are both toast. You will learn in time there is no such thing as luck. Those that work hardest, win. It is a disease worse than Golf, Bass Fishing or Cocaine. The good news is you will learn skills that no one can take away. I am so sick of loading shells its pitiful, but my wife has a new skeet gun and my oldest daughter wants to come shoot with us. I have 10k 28ga shells to load and am dreading it. It will take at least all weekend with no help other than shooting them. Guess that's reward enough. tired of loading rifle and pistol shells right now anyway. This isn't a rabbit hole my friend. It is a bottomless pit.
Every time I get going on reloading my OCD kicks into high gear. This hobby is bottomless pit for the checkbook. No one and I mean no one saved money by reloading. HA!

I have heard lots of folks asking how much does it cost to reload. There is the initial expense and there are the ongoing expenses. Like updating equipment when something new or improved comes out. Or you get into another caliber. All in, how much do you have in equipment only?
Too much. If I had to quantify, easily over $3k in equipment alone probably. Add in components and powder and primers and…. I can hear my wife screaming louder as I type this. She can't wait for me to keel over so she can sell it all.

It never ends. Then on to rifle to have built. Additional reloading gear, better equipment. THE RABBIT HOLE, AND IT GETS DEEPER!