How much did you spend on equipment (not supplies) to reload?

I worked at sportsmans warehouse up till recently, you could still get a rock chucker Supreme reloading kit for 369. Throw your dies, powder, primers ,bullets and hopefully you saved your brass from range days. Then your time. I find it enjoyable and relaxing. Bonus is wife leaves me alone cause I build her ammo first.
It started with me when I passed the Lt. Exam and my wife purchased a Rockchucker kit for my birthday with trimmer and powder thrower scale trickle feed well you should know but it was like 299 if I remember correctly in 89. But I now load for about seven rifles, still have the set up. I don't think you can truly price out a hobby. I know people that have hobbies building vintage cars that put in thousands. So my hobby isn't much comparatively.

It started with me when I passed the Lt. Exam and my wife purchased a Rockchucker kit for my birthday with trimmer and powder thrower scale trickle feed well you should know but it was like 299 if I remember correctly in 89. But I now load for about seven rifles, still have the set up. I don't think you can truly price out a hobby. I know people that have hobbies building vintage cars that put in thousands. So my hobby isn't much comparatively.
How much would you guess? 1k, more or less? I started with <500. My total after 66 years is around 3200. It works for me. Stay safe. Have fun!

First rule of reloading equipment cost: we do not talk about equipment cost.
Second rule of reloading equipment cost: we do not talk about equipment cost.

Now that that's out the way...reloading procedures and tools are always evolving, some even devolve, but it's always changing, even if a little. From a $5.99 Sinclair Case Gauge to hyper expensive AMP annealer.

If it works for your specific purpose, you'l keep that tool, if not you'l put it up for resale!

I'd really like to get the Area 419 Zero Press, even though I won't use anymore, than one of my current presses.

Now that that's out the way...reloading procedures and tools are always evolving, some even devolve, but it's always changing, even if a little. From a $5.99 Sinclair Case Gauge to hyper expensive AMP annealer.

If it works for your specific purpose, you'l keep that tool, if not you'l put it up for resale!

I'd really like to get the Area 419 Zero Press, even though I won't use anymore, than one of my current presses.
Talking about your costs is the express purpose of this thread. It was started to address the ongoing questions folks have concerning this hobby. Just trying to let them see what they potentially are getting into. Stay safe. Have fun.

I wouldn't call the amp annealer hyper expensive. About $2,500 will get you the full monty with the amp mate, dillon, and a crap ton of pilots.

When I think of hyper expensive I think of something like the prometheus thats in the 5-7k range. Even my dual autotrickler set up pales in comparison to the price tag on that puppy.

Attachments

• E1785D53-1C48-45A4-9650-FEDBAC0AC64D.jpeg
    E1785D53-1C48-45A4-9650-FEDBAC0AC64D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 350F0092-F834-49C6-A215-F37A435C7FBF.jpeg
    350F0092-F834-49C6-A215-F37A435C7FBF.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 43
In 1996 I bought a rock chucker master reloading kit for $250-300. Since then I've added about $4-500 in newer stuff. So I'm only into it about $800. That's not including dies since I've bought and sold more than I can remember. I still use a lot of the original equipment

So what does the zero 419 do that the others won't? I'm asking so I can determine if I have a need I don't know about

Thousands$$$$$$$$$+++ Thousands$$$$$$$
The expression "Rabit Hole" and "Buy Once Cry Once", but you already bought with that theory and did that several times over. I have equipment that is 40+ years old and replaced some other equipment within the last month. Some equipment will be good forever and then some need to be replaced/upgraded with newer technology Whidden Dies, Competition Dies, K&M , Henderson Trimmer, AMP, CPS, V-4 with Scale and a lot more - all of which is usually $$$$$$. Still have several Rock Chucker's IV and Progressive 2000.
Trying to put a price on reloading equipment - it is like looking into Jill's several Walkin Closets and say how much in shoes/clothing along with hunting appeal.

Last edited: