How is StaBall 6.5 working out?

You are correct!

Hellcat made in Croatia. Just picked one up a couple months ago and they shoot good for a small carry pistol don't they!
I couldn't find on the pistol where made. Strange. It's one of the pistols I've won. I like it a lot. Better than my Sig 365. I also won a Glock 48 and I like both better than it. Won a Kimber Pro Carry and a Ultra Carry 45. I carry the Pro Carry sometimes but it's heavy . Even with smaller frame and 3 in. barrel. Most time I Carry Hellcat with a 17 rd. mag . One in pipe and a spare 17 rd. mag.
SORRY for derailing thread !!!
I know, use the PM feature 😉👍🏻

Last edited:
I ran some Staball 6.5 in my custom BRNO 6mm Rem yesterday, with 87gr Berger VLDs (waiting on heavier bullets). Shot out of a 24" bull barrel stamped Sile Distributors, but of heretofore unknown manufacturer, with a 1:8" twist. I shot two 4-shot groups in mostly sunny weather at 57 dungarees frankenstein.
47gr averaged 3408fps with a vertical shot string of 5/8"
47.5gr averaged 3407fps with a triangle shot string of 1/2"

I have to shoot some more of those loads to define the loads, but the velocity exceeded book expectations by at least 50fps, and the accuracy was great.

I ordered the latest data set for QL tonight. Some hope that Stabal HD is in there. Will post back if it is. (its listed as new from 2/4/2014, but last I was on Neconos, I did not see any such update, and that was a couple weeks ago, max) In my 7 RM 175 ELD-X, N570 is showing the best theoretical velocity (in my long throat and decent capacity magazine) but at a 104% fill. Data from Hodgdon site for 7 RM and Stabal HD show decent velocity, but hard to compare to QL given different seating depths, barrel length ect.

The earlier posted burn rate chart is interesting -- if Stabal HD is truly the close in burn rate to Retumbo, N570 etc, then it solves a problem for me -- I cannot seem to get enough of those in the case without the bullet slipping back out from compression. I use graphite on my necks, and a mandrel (after bushing sizeing, FL with .002 shoulder bump). I think my necks are a little loose for using with a compressed load........

Installed QL data update, dated 2/5/2024. Wasted $18.95! Oh well. That's cheap compared to the other stuff I spend money on with reloading and guns. Still no support for Staball HD.

There is a text file included with the download that tells you when various stuff has been added. Goes back to like 2020 and is in chronological order. You'd think they could post that dang file at Neconos so you would know what you were getting.....

I like QL, but the support is weak to say the least......

To be clear -- it DOES have current support for Staball 6.5. I used it to cook up a load for my buddies 6.5 CM that exceeds our prior velocities with H4350 by 100 fps using Staball 6.5, and is more accurate (under 0.4 MOA, 5 shots, possibly better as in exceeds shooters ability)

I've read ball powders are better suited to magnum primers. What I've done if 60.0 grs. or more.
This has been my norm for using magnum primers as well. I have been trying Mag primers in some lighter loads for a while, I tried Remington 9 1/2 M's in a 6 CM load of 42 grains of 6.5 StaBall. Had an SD drop from mid teen's to mid single digits, picked up a little velocity but nothing not much. Granted this is one barrel and one load. But hey, one more rabbit hole to throw money into.

This has been my norm for using magnum primers as well. I have been trying Mag primers in some lighter loads for a while, I tried Remington 9 1/2 M's in a 6 CM load of 42 grains of 6.5 StaBall. Had an SD drop from mid teen's to mid single digits, picked up a little velocity but nothing not much. Granted this is one barrel and one load. But hey, one more rabbit hole to throw money into.
I did a test with chrono with a 6.5 PRC couple years ago. I posted on here on some thread. Everything was same. Rifle, powder charge, case and bullet. I used Fed 210M, CCI BR4 and Fed 215M. Load was if I recall 55.0 grs. RL26. A 156 Berger. ADG cases. The
Fed 210M had considerably lower ES and SD. The mag primer was only on average a few fps more but not worth it. I stuck with the 210M. I'd like to try on a larger cartridge and caliber. Maybe some day.

Installed QL data update, dated 2/5/2024. Wasted $18.95! Oh well. That's cheap compared to the other stuff I spend money on with reloading and guns. Still no support for Staball HD.

There is a text file included with the download that tells you when various stuff has been added. Goes back to like 2020 and is in chronological order. You'd think they could post that dang file at Neconos so you would know what you were getting.....

I like QL, but the support is weak to say the least......

To be clear -- it DOES have current support for Staball 6.5. I used it to cook up a load for my buddies 6.5 CM that exceeds our prior velocities with H4350 by 100 fps using Staball 6.5, and is more accurate (under 0.4 MOA, 5 shots, possibly better as in exceeds shooters ability)
I am just about to work some loads up with Staball 6.5 for my buddy's 6.5 CM using 140gr SGKs. How many grains of Staball 6.5 are you using and what bullet are you flinging? I'm thinking working up to 44gr max.

I am just about to work some loads up with Staball 6.5 for my buddy's 6.5 CM using 140gr SGKs. How many grains of Staball 6.5 are you using and what bullet are you flinging? I'm thinking working up to 44gr max.
That's where I stopped with 143 grain ELDX, and I am well pleased, good velo, and super accurate. Haven't shot much past 300 yards with it yet, but anything within that time zone is on borrowed time. I use it mainly to protect my chickens lol.

That's where I stopped with 143 grain ELDX, and I am well pleased, good velo, and super accurate. Haven't shot much past 300 yards with it yet, but anything within that time zone is on borrowed time. I use it mainly to protect my chickens lol.
Yeah, 44.2 Staball 6.5 got an ES of around 12, fps ave of 2825 over 15 or so shots. My buddy (his gun, shot a 100 yard group of 4 at 0.6, my group in his gun was 0.38) This was virgin SRP Lapua brass. Necks were chamfered. Nothing else. Then mandreled with Sinclair .263 steel (not the fancy nitrided ones). Used graphite for lube, as is my custom. Hate cleaning off lube.

CCI 450. His gun is SA, Rem. Has a box, I forget which one. Throated long as heck. I cannot get anywhere close to the lands and load the box. But heck, it shoots. So somehow, I don' t have the COAL recorded. Its close to factory Hornady, as that's the bullet we are talking here. 143 ELDX.

As always, start lower etc etc etc.....

So I ran the Staball 6.5 in my the 6.5 CM this afternoon with 140gr SGKs. I fed a long dummy round in a few times to determine jam (the hick method), and seated .25 thou off the lands. I started my load at 43gr, which averaged 2734fps with and ES of 26. Then I went to 43.5gr and averaged 2786 with an SD of 12. Both groups were less than 0.75MOA, but I wasn't taking my time due to the wind. I was going to run back up to the house and load up some 44gr loads, but it became so windy that my chrony on the tripod blew over a few times. I'll pick up where I left off tomorrow.

BTW, I used the White River large rifle primers for the first time. They go in hard, and the cup seems a tad bit taller. I hand prime because I like the feelz. They worked just fine, as there was no deficiency velocity.