How do YOU read wind in the field?

It might be a cool thread to start, all that applied ballistics info. I really wish that "WEZ" was available in mobile. Maybe that field method works. I'm suprised all his programs aren't in a mobile program because one would assume that's where you would use this most, in the field

It might be a cool thread to start, all that applied ballistics info. I really wish that "WEZ" was available in mobile. Maybe that field method works. I'm suprised all his programs aren't in a mobile program because one would assume that's where you would use this most, in the field
WEZ is available in a mobile format but as of now only available to military and Law Enforcement. You can still use the desktop version and apply the percentages to range/drop charts.

The program is costly but to me well worth the investment.

I additionally use an estimated Maximum Effective Range (MER) field expedient method to estimate MER. If there is enough interest, I may post the steps to this process. The field expedient method is not as detailed as WEZ but does provide an estimate to MER when no other methods are utilized.

It's actually really cool that AB broke it down by range, because the day before I was shooting 815 yards and had more wind, but the margin of difference was much lower. I had all hits of of 16 shots over 4 hours of shooting from different positions. And had 3 groups under 3.5" with one at 2 3/4".

I was really figuring on 800 bent my MER... But I'm the type that has to push myself further.

It's actually really cool that AB broke it down by range, because the day before I was shooting 815 yards and had more wind, but the margin of difference was much lower. I had all hits of of 16 shots over 4 hours of shooting from different positions. And had 3 groups under 3.5" with one at 2 3/4".

I was really figuring on 800 bent my MER... But I'm the type that has to push myself further.

The fulfilling aspect with establishing a MER utilizing wind uncertainty is not so much the aspect of how much wind there is but rather how much inconsistency there is with the wind.

Knowing what causes a miss often drives one to push how far one can reliably hit. Group size or precision potential plays an important role with this endeavor. It sounds like you have a great shooting gun while having a ton of fun with it!

This is what the shooters looked through the scope. The mirage was going almost horizontal and pretty steady wind. Youtube compressed all the mirage details. You actually can see the mirage "line flow" (cannot think of the word right now).

Last edited by a moderator:
The fulfilling aspect with establishing a MER utilizing wind uncertainty is not so much the aspect of how much wind there is but rather how much inconsistency there is with the wind.

Knowing what causes a miss often drives one to push how far one can reliably hit. Group size or precision potential plays an important role with this endeavor. It sounds like you have a great shooting gun while having a ton of fun with it!

I had been "dabbling" with long range shooting for 6 or 7 years. When we bought our first house house, four years ago, we moved in next to a 73 year old long range benchrest shooter with his own gunsmith shop. Ron, quickly brought me up to speed on how to get every ounce of potential out of a rifle. So once I had the money saved, I put together my first long range rig, which I learned a lot from. I am still shooting the same action and stock, but everything else has been changed.

And it has been a fun journey learning all of the fine points in shooting really long distances. All of this knowledge and experience has increased my maximum effective range to where I have complete confidence at twice the ranges I would have tried before!

I love to hunt big game, and my success rate is really improving because, now, a 4-500 yard shot is nothing!

I have good eyesight and a strong back, so it's getting close to the time where I get a few trophies I have always wanted. Like mountain goat and bighorn sheep. That is the reason I am pushing my MER so hard, when the opportunity comes, I will be ready in body and mind to make it happen!

I am not rich, I may only get 1 opportunity on those in my life.

MMERSS is providing some darn good experience.

The term "Maximum Effective Range" when I read it "this time" clicked. Am I slow or what. :roll eyes:

The 'field' determination method would be darn interesting. Hint!:)

I record every LR shot that is for practice. Takes me most of a day to get a half dozen shots off. Very interesting.

It seems that MER changes quite often. Maybe for each shot if over thought.

It would seem a waste of time to set up for a mile shoot when the MER for that day is only 1200. Wouldn't you think?

All of my shooting is done under field conditions, in the mountains and desert. And then in specific "hides" where when the season is open game may be taken.

If that's cheat'n I cheat.:)

Great thread....

It seems that MER changes quite often. Maybe for each shot if over thought.

MER will change with uncertainties. The two most significant changes I have noticed affecting a change with MER is wind uncertainty change and precision potential change. Range to target uncertainty can be limited by proper use of a good range finder. Muzzle velocity variation usually is considered repeatable with same uncertainty. Environmental conditions can be accurately estimated by use of a good weather stations such as the Kestrel. What causes most misses with a long time of flight, in my experience, is a change in estimated wind and a shooter/rifle/ammo precision change. A shooter/rifle/ammo combination shooting off a solid bipod with rest may produce .5 MOA results. At times a different rest may be required such as a backpack. This alternate rest may only produce 1 MOA potential. This change in MOA precision potential will reduce MER. It is good practice to establish a MER using estimates based off current environmental and shooting conditions as they will change. Establishing MER off of wind uncertainties and precision potential is a good place to start. AB WEZ is capable of this analysis. There is also a field estimate step-by-step process to establish a MER, or you could say an estimate for an estimate.

Many consider the long range hunter a professional marksman. Is this statement valid? Is it responsible practice to take a shot on a big game animal with only a flip of a coin chance to connect with vitals? Some would consider a "flip of a coin chance" "slob" hunting. Being able to establish a MER, or an estimate with high probability to connect with vitals under the current environment, is a skill of the successful Maximum Effective Range "long range" hunter.

"Being able to establish a MER, or an estimate with high probability to connect with vitals under the current environment, is a skill of the successful Maximum Effective Range "long range" hunter."

Roger that!

Yep and some think thst just because they can shoot a 5 inch group at 900 yards after some sighters that it follows that shots on game are appropriate at that range. That may or may not be true. A more realistic and responsible test would be to set up the steel and take one shot per morning and look at the group at the end of the week.

Royinidaho, like yourself all my shooting is done under field conditions mostly in mountainous terrain where my adversaries are baboon.

I have read most of the replies posted on "how do You read the wind in the field" and need advice on a few problems.....

A bit of background on my shooting/hunting......
I have been shooting long range for about 7 years with a .308 currently using Berger 185gr VLD bullets.
I am mainly shooting problem Baboon destroying crops, killing sheep and occasionally dogs (for fun)
Getting closer than 600yards from a troop of baboon in order to spot, shoot and kill a specific baboon is very difficult.

I have successfully killed baboon between 800 and 1100 yards but lately I struggle getting solid hits due to wind direction variations over the distance of the flight path.

How do YOU read variable wind directions / velocity in the field.
What software (if any) are you using to analyse your wind to make the necessary correction?

Last edited:
IMG_0829.JPGThis is my current hunting ground. This baboon was taken at 609 yards
DSC_0026.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.