How do YOU read wind in the field?

Royinidaho, like yourself all my shooting is done under field conditions mostly in mountainous terrain where my adversaries are baboon.

I have read most of the replies posted on "how do You read the wind in the field" and need advice on a few problems.....

A bit of background on my shooting/hunting......
I have been shooting long range for about 7 years with a .308 currently using Berger 185gr VLD bullets.
I am mainly shooting problem Baboon destroying crops, killing sheep and occasionally dogs (for fun)
Getting closer than 600yards from a troop of baboon in order to spot, shoot and kill a specific baboon is very difficult.

I have successfully killed baboon between 800 and 1100 yards but lately I struggle getting solid hits due to wind direction variations over the distance of the flight path.

How do YOU read variable wind directions / velocity in the field.
What software (if any) are you using to analyse your wind to make the necessary correction?

I was going to jump into this thread but there are some people who really seem to know the technique. I understand that technique but it takes practice and watching someone who can make the call in 5-10 seconds in a variable 20-35 mph wind and get a hit at 1000 yards is like watching a magic show to me. This article covers some of the issues:

Reading the Wind

The clock system kind of covers it and it works when conditions are stable if you know your load characteristics and how that load is affected by the wind. The trouble is that they are never stable. There are a number of good books on the subject and one of the most basic things I learned was that the wind at your location affects your shot more than the wind down range. Make the call based on your location and adjust based on conditions down range. My calls have improved since I discovered that but I still have a long way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.