How 'bout scopes that disappointed?

When I was working and wanted something I would save $50 per week till I could pay for it. The money was considered GONE! as far as anything else. When I bought a Nightforce they were $1,440 for a new 12-42X56. It took bout six and a half months to get it. Same thing for out of state hunts.

I used to do that. Works every time.

After I couldn't see some deer at the end of the day with a Leupy vx3 4-14, that I could see well with a lower end set of Bushnell binos, I went to a Swarovski 4-12x50 for my hunting rifle. On my LR match rifle, I've gone from a Leupy vx3 8.5-25 to NF 5.5-22 to S&B PMII 5-25. I will never buy another Leupold product.

Like the title asks, how 'bout scopes that disappointed?
Simmons eight point, I mounted them on a 22 would not think of mounting it on anything better and they were still hugely disappointing don't even waste the couple of dollars they ask for them

Every cheap priced scope I've bought turned out to be cheap. Every more expensive scope $1k or more has turned out to be great regardless of manufacturer. Go figure you get what you pay for!

For many years I was in the same boat. Part of the issue was living in a very expensive place to live. Cost of living was killing me, still is in many respects. I'd have to move my 1 moderately good scope from rifle to rifle. Still am moving scopes around a bit now and then. Not all my rifles wear the scopes I want them to eventually wear.

Find ways to save. Quit drinking beer, $5:day saved, quit smoking $5:day saved. Don't buy lunch at work... bring one instead, $5:day saved. Before too many days you've got enough. Also, consider thoroughly which scope you want and why. There's a big price difference between a Nightforce SHV and a Nightforce BEAST. If you don't need the big one, get a smaller one.

My strategy was to use my company's referral bonus program and refer a couple candidates in to put me over the top. After I'd quit smoking and I didn't eat lunch during the week unless my office had it catered in for about a year that little extra from the referrals made it happen. After I got my referral bonus', that immediately went with my saved up nickels and times to get me my dream optic. Did it again recently, have another tier 1 scope coming as a result. It takes me about a year to save up for a decent optic if I can get a referral bonus during that time. Otherwise it's likely to take me 2 years or better.

Also, when NF or whatever brand you want comes out with new and updated models their older models will plummet in price and places like here or snipershide will have their for sale sections absolutely plumped up with great deals. Like when Vortex put their Gen2 Razors out, it seemed like all the Gen1's on the hide were suddenly for sale.

Biggest thing: Stay determined. Once you have it, you have it and it's something you'll be really proud to own for the rest of your life. Old men always have a couple great high quality things. They didn't probably get them when they were young.
I know this was 2016 but.....If I quit smoking and drinking beer for a week, I can buy a NF 5 x 25 :)
For many years I was in the same boat. Part of the issue was living in a very expensive place to live. Cost of living was killing me, still is in many respects. I'd have to move my 1 moderately good scope from rifle to rifle. Still am moving scopes around a bit now and then. Not all my rifles wear the scopes I want them to eventually wear.

Find ways to save. Quit drinking beer, $5:day saved, quit smoking $5:day saved. Don't buy lunch at work... bring one instead, $5:day saved. Before too many days you've got enough. Also, consider thoroughly which scope you want and why. There's a big price difference between a Nightforce SHV and a Nightforce BEAST. If you don't need the big one, get a smaller one.

My strategy was to use my company's referral bonus program and refer a couple candidates in to put me over the top. After I'd quit smoking and I didn't eat lunch during the week unless my office had it catered in for about a year that little extra from the referrals made it happen. After I got my referral bonus', that immediately went with my saved up nickels and times to get me my dream optic. Did it again recently, have another tier 1 scope coming as a result. It takes me about a year to save up for a decent optic if I can get a referral bonus during that time. Otherwise it's likely to take me 2 years or better.

Also, when NF or whatever brand you want comes out with new and updated models their older models will plummet in price and places like here or snipershide will have their for sale sections absolutely plumped up with great deals. Like when Vortex put their Gen2 Razors out, it seemed like all the Gen1's on the hide were suddenly for sale.

Biggest thing: Stay determined. Once you have it, you have it and it's something you'll be really proud to own for the rest of your life. Old men always have a couple great high quality things. They didn't probably get them when they were young.

Several Burris scopes including rimfire

which models? I had a Burris XTR II fail bc my buddy forgot the zero stop was set and cranked it till the turret broke loose. Burris changed out all the guts and sent the scope back free of charge.

leupold vx3i.

so dim I literally checked to make sure I had popped open the alumina cover. I had.
meanwhile the other scope and binos we had with could count points.

Every rifle we own (65+but about to be reduced ) have Ziess scopes
Range finders, binos spotting scopes all Ziess,
40+ yrs of hunting never needed any reason to change, dependable, clear, accurate, outstanding customer service

Alpen Apex 6-24x50. It had 1/8 moa adjustments but the turrets were marked for 1/4 moa. That was how they came. Not a mistake. It was clear up to about 16x but very dark above that. Looked good in the store holding it in hand. On the rifle and outside it was something different. Kinda heavy. Why have a big adjustment range if lots of it is kinda useless? It's sitting in a box somewhere. Think I paid $300ish.

Every rifle we own (65+but about to be reduced ) have Ziess scopes
Range finders, binos spotting scopes all Ziess,
40+ yrs of hunting never needed any reason to change, dependable, clear, accurate, outstanding customer service
zeiss is great. pm me if you plan to sell any diavaris or victory HTs

Like the title asks, how 'bout scopes that disappointed?
Minox zxi5x25x56mm,ist time the reticle canted sent to sauer in Tx 2 years ago it took almost 3 mos to get back a new updated version from Germany and now the staples adjustment on the lighted reticle will not adjust at 100%and wont shut off automatically if I had the funds would sell and get a different one optically beautiful mechanically it sucks .but being on a fixed income middle of a divorce after 30 years it ain't gonna happen so I guess live with it ?wish I had Read reviews earlier

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.