How big can I get with a Rem. 700 magnum action?

why not save the money for the action and smithing to jury rig an action that at the end of the day is questionable at best? Buy a Lawton 8500 action that is 1.650" in diameter with .750 bolt and put in any caliber you want. Cost is $795 and ready to go with no smithing.

He also has a 7500 action that is 1.450 in single shot or repeater and it is $695.

When you are done it will be cheaper, stronger, more accurate (as the action is stiffer) and worth more when you are done. Your gunsmith will lose about $300-400 on mods to the Rem but you will be happier.

BH

dont get me wrong. the lawton or bat is better suited for the large calibers. I just had a remington pss laying around that hadn't been shot for years. so i spiced it up a little bit. If you dont have one just lying around I would go with the lawton or bat. there better suited for the larger cartridges.

I have a 338-378 on a 721 and I would stick with some RUM if I had it to do over. This rifle was built before the RUM case was around. There are just too many drawbacks to over come the small gain in performance. JUST MY OPINION. If your interested in a 338-378 on a rem let me know and I will take your action on trade and make you a good deal.

CODY

A 338 RUM will work with no bolt face work and with
standard dies and brass.

If you reload 338/300 custom it will allmost match
the 338/378.

I like the standard 338 RUM it will exceed the 340
WEATHERBY which is no easy task and still fit the standard
700 rem mag bolt face.

This will hold rebarreling cost to a minumum.

J E CUSTOM

I will also vote for the 338 Edge (338-300 Ultra) as the most practical large 338 conversian. Remington has now released a 338 Lapua but it is not a standard production item and the 378Wby case is a lot longer and it will limit you to a single shot the ultra mags have magazines available and work well. I have heard that Rem actualy made some 30-378's a long time ago but i have not seen one but a lot have been made over the years and now the Lapua case or 416 Rigby cas is being used as a basis for 338 wildcats and used on Rem Actions.

If all is good the cases larger than an Ultra mag work but if you start to realy push the limits the tennon of the barrel will spring and you also have extra backthrust., If you load the 338 Edge hard you will get the same velocity as the 378WBY with a usable pressure in the Rem Action.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Bountyhunter,

I think you made a typo on the Lawton M8500 receiver. I think the M7500 receiver is the one you are referring to and I would agree with your suggestion 100%.

That said, I have built several 338 Kahns on the Chrome Moly Rem 700 before I started using the Lawtons and they have worked very well.

Now though, with the price and quality of the Lawton receivers, there is no reason not to order in a M7500 receiver and build anything you want up to the 338 Kahn which is an improved version of the 338-378 with a conventional shoulder angle.

For the money, they are a seal!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi,
I have a rem 700 in 7mm STW. One day I will have to rebarrel.To fit a 30-378 weatherby mag or a 7mm allen mag in a 700 you have to go single shot only is that correct?
The plan at the moment is to rebarrel to 7mm RUM when the time comes.
Regards.
hjl

Hi Hjl i believe the Allen mags feed through a mag but the large WBY cases become single shot only i would get a LAwton 7500 if you waqnted a large WBY case or even a Allen MAg as the action is better suited for it even if you are building a trued ultra mag the Rem action with the cost second hand you can sell it for and then the truing costs may cost more than buying a new LAwton 7500

Here in Australia it is so hard to get diferent actions into the country so we have to use what we can get our hands onto but my friend is now an importer for the Lawton Barels and early next year he should be bringing the Lawton Actions into Australia my action is first on the list.

CHeers Bill
Australia

Hi Wild Bill,
It is very good to hear someone is bring Lawton barrels and actions into Australia.
I am thinking of building a 7mm allen mag on my rem 700.
I have a trued rem 700 in 22 ppc that I use for 100/200 brench rest shooting. A new bolt and a new barrel and I have a 7mm Allen mag. Would make a good fly gun I think.
Us shooters think all the time or is that dream.
Regards.
hjl

Hi i am always dreaming up things aswell and that is the way to progress things by people trying out diferent things.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.