Where can I get a magnum length action?

atl5029

Hi Everyone,

I have been wanting to build a rifle in 338 caliber, and something with a bit more umph than the 338 Win Mag. Since you can find a donor 30-06 length action from Savage, Remington, Howa, etc for usually a couple hundred bucks, I have been heavily considering the 338-375 Ruger. I have been reading a lot about it and it seems it can run with some of the big 338's. But now I'm wondering if the price of a custom reamer, custom dies, and the extra time needed for load development would actually be more cost effective than just shelling out the money for a 375 H&H magnum length action and building a 338 RUM, Lapua, or 340 Weatherby. So I have a couple questions here...

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the 338-375 Ruger? If so, what kind of velocities are you getting with 250 grain bullets, and from what length barrel?

Where might I be able to find a magnum length action that doesn't come with such a high price. I have been looking at donor actions from Savage, Remington, and Howa rifles for about $250-$450. A magnum action in that price range would be excellent, for $500 would be great. Seems I cant find a decent action without actually buying a rifle.

Also, I know the 330 Dakota has about the same case capacity than the 338-375 Ruger, but a few things about it turn me off, first being that load data seems to be fairly anemic compared to what I read about the Ruger achieving, and second being brass is insanely expensive. So lets leave the 330 Dakota out of this discussion.

Thanks all

I would call and talk to Dave Tooley in NC, at Tooley Custom Rifles.

Dave started the 338 lapua improved cases back in the early 80s when it came out (338 Yogi) and is a behinds the scene expert for a lot of the 338 improvements in sniper rifles with AI for example. He also worked with Hornady and did lot testing on the 375 case in both 30 and 338 bullets to include testing over Doppler radar.

He can tell you exactly what it will do and not do and what he recommends.

Maybe you should consider just this ready to go- rifle by CZ, many expensive features included. CZ is known for its reliability. Have a look! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
While I have not had a CZ 550, Swamplord said he uses them for his actions.

That combined with the CZs I have laid hands on. You would do well to go that route.

A 338/375 Ruger on a custom would be a fine choice. I believe almost any long action can handle this cartridge.

A 338/26-Nosler is of course my choice unless pushing a bullet bigger than 250grns where I go 338/300RUM (Edge)

It's all about budget. Generally there is no savings from a "Trued" Remington 700 action vs. a "custom" R700 clone. Set a budget, acknowledge you will exceed it by 25% and get stuck in..

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Here is another question: Will a 338 Lapua fit in a regular 375 H&H length action or do you have to get something even longer? I have been reading a lot about the 338 Edge lately as well and that seems like a really good option too.

I have a 277 AM built on a Rem 700 std. long action. The parent case is the 338 Lapua. It can be done, but it will need to be a single shot to help keep your costs down. Building a repeater requires moving the bolt stop back further, installing an extended box, possibly new bottom metal, and inletting you stock to accommodate the extended box.

Another route to consider is the 338 Norma. I understand it functions nicely on a std. long action.

I have a 277 AM built on a Rem 700 std. long action. The parent case is the 338 Lapua. It can be done, but it will need to be a single shot to help keep your costs down. Building a repeater requires moving the bolt stop back further, installing an extended box, possibly new bottom metal, and inletting you stock to accommodate the extended box.

Another route to consider is the 338 Norma. I understand it functions nicely on a std. long action.

Thanks azsugarbear! At first glance the 338 Norma seems to be just what I am looking for! Being a non wildcat at least I will not have to get a custom reamer and dies made, although I sure they will be more pricey than a more common 338. And if it will work in a standard long action that would be perfect.

You might consider getting a barreled action from somewhere like Northwest Action Works. They want $1275. By the time you find a donor gun and send it in for a new barrel somewhere you'll be close to that number. Northwest isn't super cheap with their add-ons like a muzzle brake or fluting but they're not unreasonable. This would be a good option for eliminating a bunch of hassle, and they chamber in several big 338s.

For chambering I'd go with a 338 RUM or Lapua. The Edge is becoming pretty popular and it's easy to find dies but you have a couple of caveats. When using it in a standard magnum action you can't seat the bullets out far enough to take full advantage of the extra case capacity. So it will perform similarly to the RUM. Also there's the issue of forming brass. The 338 RUM and Lapua are easy all around and give pretty decent velocity with the bigger bullets. If you want more velocity than these offer I'd step up to the Lapua AI. 338-378 is an awesome caliber but you're limited on which actions can be used.

You might consider getting a barreled action from somewhere like Northwest Action Works. They want $1275. By the time you find a donor gun and send it in for a new barrel somewhere you'll be close to that number. Northwest isn't super cheap with their add-ons like a muzzle brake or fluting but they're not unreasonable. This would be a good option for eliminating a bunch of hassle, and they chamber in several big 338s.

For chambering I'd go with a 338 RUM or Lapua. The Edge is becoming pretty popular and it's easy to find dies but you have a couple of caveats. When using it in a standard magnum action you can't seat the bullets out far enough to take full advantage of the extra case capacity. So it will perform similarly to the RUM. Also there's the issue of forming brass. The 338 RUM and Lapua are easy all around and give pretty decent velocity with the bigger bullets. If you want more velocity than these offer I'd step up to the Lapua AI. 338-378 is an awesome caliber but you're limited on which actions can be used.

Thanks for the tips matador. When you say you cant seat the bullets out far enough in a standard magnum action, what size bullets are you talking about? Im sure there is quite a bit of length difference in a 250 vs 300 grain bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.