How accurate is RCBS Chargemaster 1500?

new2mud

Specifically asking about the 1500 (not Lite or other newer morels).

For those that also have ultra accurate (0.05 grain or even finer) scales, how accurate do you find the Chargemaster readings? Within 0.1 grains? +/- 0.1 grains? Other?

I believe the claim is +/- 0.1 grains, but curious what actual variances folks are actually seeing based on comparing directly to higher resolution scales.

*edited to correct decimal point

Last edited:
Actually RCBS advertises .1 grain accuracy for the 1500. The A&D FX-120i Lab Balance I use with my V3 Autotrickler is .02 grains, and the Sartorious GD 503 is accurate to .005.

There is an interesting article on accurate shooter. A contributor threw low, medium, and large charges with his 1500 and weighed them on his FX120i.

Summary:
"Looked at one way, this test is entirely unfair to the Chargemaster. RCBS has never claimed anything other than 0.1 grain precision for that scale. Holding it to an accuracy level of 0.04 grains seems a very high bar, indeed. And yet the Chargemaster hit that level on ten out of 27 throws.

I'd call that good."

Here is a link to the article:

Never used any electronic powder dispenser/scale other than PACT. What I have found is that regardless of the accuracy claimed by the manufacture, if your supplied electric power fluctuates, so does the powder thrown from that dispenser/scale. I always used a battery backup/surge protector with my PACT, but I have now found Automatic Voltage Regulators will stabilize the electric power to the dispenser/scale. They don't cost that much either.

Actually RCBS advertises .1 grain accuracy for the 1500. The A&D FX-120i Lab Balance I use with my V3 Autotrickler is .02 grains, and the Sartorious GD 503 is accurate to .005.

There is an interesting article on accurate shooter. A contributor threw low, medium, and large charges with his 1500 and weighed them on his FX120i.

Summary:
"Looked at one way, this test is entirely unfair to the Chargemaster. RCBS has never claimed anything other than 0.1 grain precision for that scale. Holding it to an accuracy level of 0.04 grains seems a very high bar, indeed. And yet the Chargemaster hit that level on ten out of 27 throws.

I'd call that good."

Here is a link to the article:
You are absolutely correct. My brain was thinking of brass dimensions and hence the incorrect decimal placement. I corrected original post.

Thanks for the data point/link.

Never used any electronic powder dispenser/scale other than PACT. What I have found is that regardless of the accuracy claimed by the manufacture, if your supplied electric power fluctuates, so does the powder thrown from that dispenser/scale. I always used a battery backup/surge protector with my PACT, but I have now found Automatic Voltage Regulators will stabilize the electric power to the dispenser/scale. They don't cost that much either.
What results did you see in terms of fluctuation with and without power conditioner?

What results did you see in terms of fluctuation with and without power conditioner?
Charges thrown before using the battery backup/surge protector were under by 0.03 to 0.04 grs. if memory serves. It varied depending on what other electric item(s) were or weren't drawing power at the time (furnace, dryer, washer etc.). Consequently, in some groups, rounds would touch while in others there were a lot of flyers, didn't matter what cartridge. Made a real head scratcher. So, I would throw a charge with the PACT electric scale/dispenser combo, then weigh it on my old Ohaus scale and trickle in missing grains. Yeah, my electric system really needed an overhaul, which it got. But I continued after overhaul to use the bat backup/surge all the same. Groups stayed tight using the PACT with the backup. Stopped getting on screen ERRORs. I still use my PACT even though they have been discontinued.

A fact I learned about processors is that the faster a processor operates, the more susceptible it is to power fluctuations.
Proper power levels probably increases the longevity of service from the gadget too.

I have a ChargeMaster 1500 that I have done some simple mods too. I adjusted the programming so it dumps faster initially but trickles for 1.0-1.5grs before target weight. I will have to check my settings to verify my set parameters but it definitely made a difference. I also did the McDonald's straw mod. I cut long enough to reach through the entire tube and I cut little "V" notches on the end of it for the powder kernels to fall off on and help break up any clumps. By doing those 2 things, I have been able to keep charges within +-0.05gr. I used my Bald Eagle digital scale to check my charges thrown on the Chargemaster.

I don't just dump charges directly from mine into the brass. Do people do that for precision rifle rounds? I'll do that with pistol and if I loaded for my AR I'd trust it well enough. I set mine I think .2 below target then trickle up on the beam scale. I will say that 97% of the time they are exactly the same, 2% of the time it goes over but tells you it's over, and 1% of the time it reads what I'm hoping for but the beam disagrees.

You can buy test weights, my Lite is accurate to .1 when I check. It's good enough for me until my A&D with autotrickler comes in later this year.

Accurate enough to shoot really good groups at really far distances, and when used in conjunction with multiple ChargeMasters it can be really fast. You can maintain your precision by using some of the above mentioned tricks as well as by recalibrating them prior to every use. Some people don't value their time and are willing to spend several minutes getting a charge to within 1 literal grain of powder. I'm not willing to do that. The CM will hold to 0.1gr or less. Get 3 or 4 of them going and your reloading experience will be a) just as rewarding and b) 10x faster.

I don't just dump charges directly from mine into the brass. Do people do that for precision rifle rounds? I'll do that with pistol and if I loaded for my AR I'd trust it well enough. I set mine I think .2 below target then trickle up on the beam scale. I will say that 97% of the time they are exactly the same, 2% of the time it goes over but tells you it's over, and 1% of the time it reads what I'm hoping for but the beam disagrees.
I do the same, when I first purchased the Chargmaster and checked it against my beam scale every charge it threw was on point, perfect. Then, while continuing to monitor with the beam I noticed it was over charging from .3 to .5, I don't know what happened but ever since then I just throw a half a grain lower and trickle up on my beam scale.