RCBS chargemaster...

Re: RCBS Chargemaster - Positive Experience

Well I received my RCBS Chargemaster Combo. Brownells had a $30.00 coupon and RCBS has a $50 rebate. Will cost me $250 after receiving the rebate back.

I researched and placed a straw in the full length of the dispenser tube with a small V cut into the straw back in the powder hopper to slow the rate of powder flow into the feed end of the straw. I also cut 6 small V shaped fingers out of the end of the straw. Lastly I reprogrammed the first three numbers in the factory program in order to increase the speed of dispensing.

I loaded 100 rounds of 40 S&W ammo with 8.0 grains of Hodgdon HS-6 powder. Out of 100 rounds, I had two that overcharged to 8.1 grains. Dispensing was plenty fast. I checked the first 50 charges on my balance beam scale and they were all within +/- 0.5 grains.

Didn't bother weighing any of the last 50 powder charges. If the digital scale stopped at 8.0 gr I dumped the charge into the cases.

I weighed a 1 gram brass calibration weight that I use with my balance beam scale. 1 gram = 15.4324 grain. The RCBS digital scale fluctuated back and forth between 15.4 and 15.5 grains. Spot on.

All in all I'm very happy with this first-use experience. HS-6 is similar to ball powders, except a little bit flakier. The Chargemaster had no problems quickly dispensing 8.0 gr loads thru my modified dispensing straw. I got the straw design from a web site where the author was loading 26.0 gr Varget for a .223 with very good results. I'll be using the same powder and charge for my 5.56 soon.

Re: RCBS Chargemaster - Positive Experience

I loaded 100 rounds of 40 S&W ammo with 8.0 grains of Hodgdon HS-6 powder. Out of 100 rounds, I had two that overcharged to 8.1 grains. Dispensing was plenty fast. I checked the first 50 charges on my balance beam scale and they were all within +/- 0.05 grains.

Didn't bother weighing any of the last 50 powder charges. If the digital scale stopped at 8.0 gr I dumped the charge into the cases.

I corrected a typo in bold, above. +/- 0.5 grains was supposed to be +/- 0.05 grains. The 50 weighed loads were all thrown within a total range of 0.1 grain on my balance beam scale.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts