Hornadys SST muzzleloading bullets in .45 cal

cornchuck

I was wondering if anyone has had good luck using Hornady's SST muzzleloading bullets and sabots in .45 caliber. Right now I'm using Barnes' Spit Fire Expander MZ bullets that are 195 grains. Always had good luck with these. Hornady's are half the price as the Barnes. I am also looking at their BC's. Hornady's are more than the Barnes. Anyone using these? Any comments will be appreciated.

Jason

i use them they shoot well and have lots of knock down power and there cheap ;-}

but there a little tough to load some times

Cornchuck,
They work very well on whitetails. I use them in Harvester blue sabots. I sent you a message.

Give Carlos a call at Ed's Gun Shop. He sells them in bulk. I believe $22 + USPS flat rate shipping for 50. He also carries Harvester sabots.

Ed's Gun Shop
(910) 692-7936

IMO, I wouldn't leave Barnes just because the SST may be cheaper or, that the posted BC is higher on the SST. It should be noted, that Barnes is a little conservative on what they list for their bullet's BC. I've spent hours discussing the BC with Barnes after running ballistics table after table, after shooting thousands of rounds of .50 TMZ's and they shoot much flatter than the posted BC and ballistics programs state is possible. Multipal shooters with different rifles and multipal rounds, all performing the same way. Confused about the results, I spent a couple hours with a math professor also, with him also trying to determine the possible results and why they were obtained as were. I also discussed the results with Bellm, who gave me a "possible", which relates to break-open rifles and most commonly found in centerfires.

For those who play with ballistics programs, here's the example: Shooting a 250gr Barnes TMZ, Blackhorn 209 @ 107.4grs VOLUME (75grs to the 1/10th by weight), rifles zeroed at 100yds and a 6" drop at 200yds. Rifles: T/C Encore Pro Hunter w/factory barrel....... Another T/C Encore Pro Hunter with a custom Bergara barrel and CVA Accura.

In no way am I saying that an SST is a junk bullet just because its cheaper. However, its reliability will not hold up to Barnes. Remeber the old saying: "You get what you pay for." If you do some searching on both bullets and compare some of the hunting results and performance of the bullets, you'll find many have had only moderate and even poor results from the SST. On the other hand, its extremely rare to find hunters complaining about any of the Barnes bullets and where you do find a complaint, its most generally caused by poor shot placement.

However, good shoot'n, have fun and be safe.

I shoot the .50 cal sst in my omega. Best performing bullet I have found for it. Blows deer down in a pile. Great expansion and energy transfer. Good groups at 250 yards, usually get a big exit hole, and deer usually never take another step. I hunt the marsh a lot, and I don't like blood trailing out there.

Give them a try, I think you will like them a lot.

IMO, I wouldn't leave Barnes just because the SST may be cheaper or, that the posted BC is higher on the SST. It should be noted, that Barnes is a little conservative on what they list for their bullet's BC. I've spent hours discussing the BC with Barnes after running ballistics table after table, after shooting thousands of rounds of .50 TMZ's and they shoot much flatter than the posted BC and ballistics programs state is possible. Multipal shooters with different rifles and multipal rounds, all performing the same way. Confused about the results, I spent a couple hours with a math professor also, with him also trying to determine the possible results and why they were obtained as were. I also discussed the results with Bellm, who gave me a "possible", which relates to break-open rifles and most commonly found in centerfires.

For those who play with ballistics programs, here's the example: Shooting a 250gr Barnes TMZ, Blackhorn 209 @ 107.4grs VOLUME (75grs to the 1/10th by weight), rifles zeroed at 100yds and a 6" drop at 200yds. Rifles: T/C Encore Pro Hunter w/factory barrel....... Another T/C Encore Pro Hunter with a custom Bergara barrel and CVA Accura.

In no way am I saying that an SST is a junk bullet just because its cheaper. However, its reliability will not hold up to Barnes. Remeber the old saying: "You get what you pay for." If you do some searching on both bullets and compare some of the hunting results and performance of the bullets, you'll find many have had only moderate and even poor results from the SST. On the other hand, its extremely rare to find hunters complaining about any of the Barnes bullets and where you do find a complaint, its most generally caused by poor shot placement.

However, good shoot'n, have fun and be safe.

+1
Why change?

I use the Expander MZ and have had great results with them . Yes, they are more expensive
than other bullets but if they work and don't shoot hundreds of them a month it is not that big
of a deal.

As far as ballistics go , the distance that most people shoot using a muzzle loader, there is little
or no difference in performance.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.