Hornady 250 SST ML Bullet Disappointed

I use the Hornady xtp 44 cal 240 gr pistol bullets that you can by a box of 50 or 100 for #40. They are hollow point, no plastics tip. I assume similar bullter to SST but they are super accurate for normal muzzleloader range under 200 yds. Being designed for pistol, would believe they expand at lower vel. They destroy deer and I think I have 100% pass thrus, for sure in chest cavity shots. I think with the open tip they would expand under 1800 fps but never had any issue bring done game. I only run 100 gr powder.
What sabot do you use with the xtp 240 grain.

why would anybody put their faith in a phone jockey at a manufacture or a minimum wage unexperienced 20 year old behind the counter. people really need to do their own testing.
the barnes tmz bullets are the better option for longer range shots with the hornadys being harder are better for close range woods shooting. the TC shockwaves are another harder bullet better suited for close range.
TC shockwave and hornady sst are same thing. There is the bonded 250 & 300gr bonded shockwaves. Which will hold together better.
I started out with the 250 sst for my 460 rifle. Turns out they don't hold together. Went with the bonded which aren't much better did my own testing at 100yds. The standard sst about disintegrated to just a thin flat piece of lead. The bonded version held together a little better but still not all that confident with them. I imagine my rounds are running north of 2650 to 2700mv

I use the Hornady xtp 44 cal 240 gr pistol bullets that you can by a box of 50 or 100 for #40. They are hollow point, no plastics tip. I assume similar bullter to SST but they are super accurate for normal muzzleloader range under 200 yds. Being designed for pistol, would believe they expand at lower vel. They destroy deer and I think I have 100% pass thrus, for sure in chest cavity shots. I think with the open tip they would expand under 1800 fps but never had any issue bring done game. I only run 100 gr powder.
Hornady has two versions of those xtp. There's xtp for normal velocity and xtp mag for higher velocity. They have a chart that differentiates between the two and shows ideal velocities for each.

Two years ago I shot a nice boar hog at about 20 yds. I shot him with my pistol loaded with 85 grains of 777 and the 250 gr Hornady SST's I recovered this bullet.
671FE4FE-4702-477C-B934-C8856C7EF1A2.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
Hornady has two versions of those xtp. There's xtp for normal velocity and xtp mag for higher velocity. They have a chart that differentiates between the two and shows ideal velocities for each.
I heard they were the same both made by Hornady but have no proof. I will say they both tested the same for expansion in my tests at ML velocities 1500-2100 fps. with your speeds I am assuming your using smokeless which will be well above their intended velocity range

The xtp mags are supposed to have thicker jackets giving the ability to hold together with higher velocities.
I was using the 250 bonded shockwaves/sst out of my 460 S&W rifle. Which anything under 100yds doesn't hold up.
I use the Barnes tmz 250 out my ML I'd guess they are flaying at about 2150. I've only recovered two and have full expansion

That sounds more like it to me too
I shoot those out of my smokeless Savage 45 at 2700 fps and it often looks like a grenade went off inside the deer. When the conditions are right and the deer are 50 yards or under I take head shots and the results are impressive. I shot a big Doe 2 years ago and the entire ear flew off.

The xtp mags are supposed to have thicker jackets giving the ability to hold together with higher velocities.
I was using the 250 bonded shockwaves/sst out of my 460 S&W rifle. Which anything under 100yds doesn't hold up.
I use the Barnes tmz 250 out my ML I'd guess they are flaying at about 2150. I've only recovered two and have full expansion
that Barnes TMZ out of my prohunter has been my go to for years. many have fallen to that bullet and only ever recovered 2 of them both between 250 and 265 yds with full expansion.

Decades ago, when I hunted in a shotgun/muzzleloader zone, I used that bullet in an MK85. Always had great results with it.

Slowest impact I've had with a 250 sst was around 1350 fps. I found the tip and most of jacket in the deer, the lead core exited. That is what has happened on every deer I've shot with them. At closer distances the jacket is in tiny pieces at longer distances the jacket will be mostly whole just expanded way out. These we're all double lung boiler room shots no major bones were ever hit. From my experience if someone has a small exit hole with this bullet it is much more likely from the core separating and exiting on its own rather than the whole bullet penciling through.

Same bullet mould I use for my 10.5" barrel .44 Ruger SBH is used for my .54 ML rifle. NOT "hard cast". Tough rather than hard bullet, large HP cavity.

.54 sabot with a water dropped cast .44 (.434") 295gr. HP, 92% pure lead (X-ray shielding material), 8% tin (pure tin is expensive, I got lucky and scored a lifetime supply from a guy who's grandpa had owned an old fashioned hardware store).

It's a 305gr wide meplat if I don't use the HP pins. Mihec made the brass mould, he's a good maker...

If you don't like what's on offer, make your own. You'll learn things. Lead alloys used correctly don't need no stinkin' copper wrapper, correctly engineered copper projectiles don't need no lead filler (tungsten has some interesting possibilities). A scrap of paper and a hard cast bullet can be pushed to around 3,000 fps with good accuracy and without leaded bores. And you won't need to worry about "out of stock". OTOH, you might get obsessed with bullet making and have that cut into your hunting time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230106-095859_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230106-095859_Gallery.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 41
Slowest impact I've had with a 250 sst was around 1350 fps. I found the tip and most of jacket in the deer, the lead core exited. That is what has happened on every deer I've shot with them. At closer distances the jacket is in tiny pieces at longer distances the jacket will be mostly whole just expanded way out. These we're all double lung boiler room shots no major bones were ever hit. From my experience if someone has a small exit hole with this bullet it is much more likely from the core separating and exiting on its own rather than the whole bullet penciling through.
That has been what I've found. Which is why I went with the bonded 250 ML