Hornady LnL case prep center for accurate handloading

boo radley

I'm looking to start handloading for rifle cartridges, primarily my new 300 win. mag. May also eventually do 270 win and 243. Only rifle cartridge I might reload for (high volume) is .223.

I've reloaded pistol ammo for a couple of years, so I've been able to get by without a case trimmer. I've narrowed it down to 2 options:

The new Hornady LnL prep center, or a Sinclair-Wilson SS case trimmer w/micrometer + an RCBS case prep center. Either option is fairly close in price. Anyone have any thoughts as to the how repeatable the Hornady is? The convenience of it is tempting, but if it's noticibly less precise than the Wilson I won't be happy.

Quick answers appreciated, I've got to get the order in soon so Santa can bring it! :)

Thanks for the replies guys. Everything I've read so far indicates the Wilson is a great trimmer, and probably the best of the manual-type trimmers.

I'm not finding much info on the accuracy of the Hornady prep center though.

There is an adapter available for the Wilson trimmer that allows you to use a cordless drill or screwdriver.

That is what I have done, makes it a lot quicker and easier.

I've been eyeballing case trimmers and neck turning tools. I think I'm leaning towards Lyman, maybe Hornady.

Comments, and Opinions are welcome.

Unless you just have a desire to say you know how to turn necks and then be a member the club with those of us who have ruined a couple of batches of brass then I would say don't spend money on one and instead buy quality brass. :D

I use the Sinclair/Wilson trimmer and could not be more pleased with it. I also have the Forster trimmer which in most cases now sits collecting dust.

I also have the RCBS case prep center and am very pleased with it. it beats the heck out of manually deburring, chamfering, cleaning/uniforming primer pockets, and deburring flash holes.

For neck turning, I use the Forster neck turning tool, with a Sinclair case holder. I also use the Sinclair expander die to get the necks to the right diameter. Doing this I will sometimes have to take .0005" to .001" off of either the expander or case turning mandrel to get just the right fit, but that is a one time thing and easy enough to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.