Hornady has strange recommendations

how is a core-lokt stronger than and eld-x? jacket looks thicker on the eld-x to me
tech-corelokt-bullet1.jpg

people have proven that the eld-x works well at any distance when shot into soft tissue, some people like to shoot bone--- place the bullet in the vitals and it will kill--- plenty of bear, elk, moose, buffalo, etc were killed back when there was only cup/core bullets

partition bullets were a step up over cup/core and they came around in 1948-- even dead soft lead ball rounds from black powder will kill large game, you just need to know the limitations of the bullet you are using and put it in the right spot

a lot of the "manufactures recommendations" are marketing hype used to sell multiple/ "premium" bullets

I have a good family friend that has taken over 2 dozen "dangerous game" and "African game" species with 1 rifle and 1 bullet--a 300win mag shooting factory winchester super X power point bullets (soft lead nose cup and core bullet)--go figure
Just because your friend "has done", does not make it "smart", and it does not mean everyone "should" try it. I don't understand people wanting to get by with the cheapest or most non-hunting style bullets they can. All at the expense of an animals suffering.

I also have "a friend", that's killed hundreds of whitetail with a .22 LR. So because he did it that way, that means its completely appropriate, and everyone should do it. That's what you are saying isn't? Because your "friend" has done it, that everyone else should?

R.I.P. Mr Common Sense, you will be dearly missed. Along with your sister Mrs Manners, and brother Mr Mutual Respect.

Edit: I do apologize for sounding like a smartass. I'm not going to discuss the ethics involved. I just don't like seeing things suffer unnecessarily.

I don't see anywhere where cohunt stated that because his friend does, that we all should.

I think that bullet requirement is different for everyone. Some people are shoulder shooters, some people shoot lungs, some people shoot close range only and some shoot long range. I don't think there is a bullet that does everything perfect. Not to mention magnum caliber shooters and standard caliber shooters.

Lung shooters and long range shooters probably require softer bullets. Shoulder shooters and magnum shooters probably need a bonded bullet.

I personally tend to shoot shorter ranges with standard cartridges and tend to prefer softer bullets as I am a lung shooter as well.

Choose the bullet that is best for you regardless what anyone else uses.

Steve

I think I would go with an actual controlled expansion bullet for Brownies. Eldx and Berger's will do fine at the longer ranges but I wouldn't bet my life on a cup and core bullet at bad breath ranges in the pucker brush with a Brownie. I've had a black bear soak up some partitions at close range when I got too close. But they broke his shoulders and I was glad to have them. I've had limited penetration with the Eldx on deer so i personally wouldn't use em on anything bigger than deer. They are very accurate but you can't guarantee a bear is going to step out in he open and give the broadside shot. I like tough bullets in an appropriate caliber so I can take any reasonable angle shot. I agree Hornady's charts are stupid.

I would agree with Hornady that their interlocks tougher than the ELDX. But I still wouldn't use either on a Brownie. Heavy for caliber and controlled expansion in case the shot is close range.

I think I would go with an actual controlled expansion bullet for Brownies. Eldx and Berger's will do fine at the longer ranges but I wouldn't bet my life on a cup and core bullet at bad breath ranges in the pucker brush with a Brownie. I've had a black bear soak up some partitions at close range when I got too close. But they broke his shoulders and I was glad to have them. I've had limited penetration with the Eldx on deer so i personally wouldn't use em on anything bigger than deer. They are very accurate but you can't guarantee a bear is going to step out in he open and give the broadside shot. I like tough bullets in an appropriate caliber so I can take any reasonable angle shot. I agree Hornady's charts are stupid.
Amen to that brother.

Last edited:
Has anybody here used them on animals within 100-300 yds? What was the result?
Thinking Ive got to now do load development for Barnes projectiles.

Here is a cow elk at about 400. It was through both front legs and demolished the heart. 30cal 212gr ELDX at 3050fps, if I'm remembering correctly.

Entrance side

Heart

Two elk and one Muley buck got shot with that load that year all were 400-450. Bullets killed them all, the cow pictures was the only one through heavy bone. The other two were lungs and they both dropped in about 50 feet of where they were hit.

My dad shot a good sized black bear with the 200gr ELDX going about 2950fps at 30 yards. Bear dropped where he stood and had baseball sized holes on both sides.

idcwby

just spoke with Hornady because I had to hear it first hand for myself. The guy told me they are made for 800 and longer shots and will explode if they hit bone at closer distances. Its not that they wont do that also at longer distances, its that they are made for soft tissue shots and most likely deer and elk
Wouldnt you think they would make that clear in their packaging??? really disappointed with this information but glad that I got it now before hunting season.
Has anybody here used them on animals within 100-300 yds? What was the result?
Thinking Ive got to now do load development for Barnes projectiles.
I've seen plenty of big bodied mule deer shot at 100-300 yds with the 143gr ELDx out of a 6.5 CM. Front shoulder or tucked behind front shoulder, results were same. Wrecked lungs/heart and bullet fragments recovered in off shoulder. On shoulder shots, Impact side shoulder blood shot/damaged. Off side shoulder salvageable.

More Hornady magical marketing, I like their products and have use many of them for years. I particularly like it when they say that the 300 Win Mag doesn't shoot heavy bullets over 200 grains, but that is only now they have a 300 mag that was specifically developed for ........ well just make it up and choose your own adventure, I think that's what they may be doing these days.

The one thing I don't understand is how can a bullet have less energy at 800 yds yet still have more expansion and penetration compared to 150 yds??? That's what the article claimed forELDX
Maybe due to slightly less expansion or it taking longer to fully expand due to the slower velocity at impact? Idk, thats a good question.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts