Hornady has strange recommendations

Oh good lord, the 30-06 with a 220 Interlock they reccomend for Cape Buffalo lol

View attachment 140943

Then a 338 RCM with a 225 SuperFormance at 2700 will take them down too.

View attachment 140944

Then I seen this. I give up trying to understand. 270 ELD-X out of a Lapua just isn't good enough. Better take that 30-06 and the round nose bullet.

View attachment 140945

That 220 interlock is actually an extremely soft bullet on top of all this nonsense, not nearly as hard as the 220 Sierra round nose. I've had one not exit a whitetail deer on a quartering away shot from a 300 win at 60 yards. Instantly dead, but surprising.

Just called Barnes. he told me that they Hornady ELD X is exactly the same bullet as the ELD M and is really a target bullet.
I guess Ill try it on a deer this fall but for hogs Im going to demo some Barnes TTSX and Nosler Accubonds and see which one the rifle likes better

I've posted this before, but I pulled a 180 Interlock out of the old Hornady Heavy Mag ammo. After about 15 seconds the powder started rising, and began to spill over. Seems like the powder weight was in the high 80's, maybe low 90's. I never could figure out how they got it in there.

What cartridge?

I have mixed emotions about hornady to begin with - their superformance stuff is the worst. I watched my buddy spend a couple hundred dollars on that stuff with two different rifles praying it would group - he consistently got 11-12" groups @ 100 yards. He switched to federal premium and the groups dropped below 1".

But I freaking love the precision hunter and match ammo. The precision hunter has killed elk, mule deer and black bear with my 270wsm. Would I use the precision hunter on a grizzly? Hells to the yes! But maybe I am crazy, because I would also use my 270wsm on a grizzly.

I have seen the SST explode on a black bear - its like a nosler ballistic tip. I would never use that on a grizzly...smh

Federal premium is without a doubt the most accurate factory hunting ammunition in my opinion as well. Heck not even premium, my 270 shoots the cheap blue box 130 soft points right around or under an inch. Winchester, Remington, and hornady ammo won't do as well. Winchester at least loads it full power though.

Based on what I've seen with the 180 ballistic tip I think the SST is even more explosive. Not a bad thing necessarily, just an observation. The b-tips 180 grain and heavier have thicker jackets than the lighter ones and I've come to believe there actually is something to the nosler solid base idea.

I would like to state, I didn't post this to start the debate again. Just don't see how the ELD-X can't work, but the highly fragile SST will ?!
Many moons ago when i was in Utah I used an SST on a buck deer at around a 100 yds. I was using my 300 Rum. After that I called them grenades and never used again. Not made for high velocity at close range. I had same thing happen with the older Nosler ballistic tips. After that bonded and mono bullets started appearing . Life was good .

Last edited:
Hornady would have you take 2 different rounds on the hunt. One for close shots and one for the long shot. This all started when hunters started shooting over 400 yards or so. The African game guys haven't changed a thing, heavy solids! Most shots will under a 100 yards. The bullet makers are thinking close and far not dangerous and non dangerous or maybe both. One thing for sure there is not one bullet for everything. The right bullet placed in the wrong spot on the animal will always be a bad one.

Just called Barnes. he told me that they Hornady ELD X is exactly the same bullet as the ELD M and is really a target bullet.
I guess Ill try it on a deer this fall but for hogs Im going to demo some Barnes TTSX and Nosler Accubonds and see which one the rifle likes better
Barnes? As in Barnes Bullets? The possible real world shortcomings of the eld-x for certain heavy duty applications aside, of course Barnes would tell you that. They've spent lots of time and effort trying to convince people that bergers aren't real hunting bullets, that lead is bad, that 100 percent weight retention is the most important thing to consider regarding terminal ballistics, that bullets that fragment are bullets that we should say "failed" even if they kill 3 times faster.

Barnes? As in Barnes Bullets? The possible real world shortcomings of the eld-x for certain heavy duty applications aside, of course Barnes would tell you that. They've spent lots of time and effort trying to convince people that bergers aren't real hunting bullets, that lead is bad, that 100 percent weight retention is the most important thing to consider regarding terminal ballistics, that bullets that fragment are bullets that we should say "failed" even if they kill 3 times faster.

It would seem they are correct in this case based on comments by posters as well as Hornady's response

That 220 interlock is actually an extremely soft bullet on top of all this nonsense, not nearly as hard as the 220 Sierra round nose. I've had one not exit a whitetail deer on a quartering away shot from a 300 win at 60 yards. Instantly dead, but surprising.
I had good luck with Hornady's Interbond's in 7mm and 30 cal.on game, about the same as Accubonds . The Accubonds were more accurate and they worked great on game. I still have a box of Interbonds...

Last edited:
It isn't the exact same bullet. On one of these threads there is a pic of the two cut open. The eldm doesn't have the interlock ring and the jacket at the base isn't as thick.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.