Hornady has strange recommendations

Big animal: big bullet (diameter). Get a 35 Whelen and shoot the heavy bullets or a 375RUM or H&H. If I were going to hunt Brownies, I will take a 45-70 over a 30 cal or my 416/300RUM. Cannot have too much gun if the bear can stand 12' tall!!! and outrun a dog.

so are they Ok on deer and pigs at 50-100 yds or do I need to find another round for close encounters??? they dont say not to use on animals within 200 yds on the box. ***!!
Well if you're hunting pigs, and you know the impact velocity will be under 1600, then yours golden.

I was going to use the Precision Hunter ammo next season, but my shots stretch all the way out to 150 yards. So, I'm looking for another round to use. Whether you do or not is up to you.

Well if you're hunting pigs, and you know the impact velocity will be under 1600, then yours golden.

I was going to use the Precision Hunter ammo next season, but my shots stretch all the way out to 150 yards. So, I'm looking for another round to use. Whether you do or not is up to you.

that really sucks. I just finished working up that round for my Creedmoor and was considering it for another caliber. I really hope I dont have to do that all over again!
what do they do when they impact at 2500 fps? Pencil thru the animal????

that really sucks. I just finished working up that round for my Creedmoor and was considering it for another caliber. I really hope I dont have to do that all over again!
what do they do when they impact at 2500 fps? Pencil thru the animal????
I believe when they said "shots off the shoulder", they were saying it blows up.

just spoke with Hornady because I had to hear it first hand for myself. The guy told me they are made for 800 and longer shots and will explode if they hit bone at closer distances. Its not that they wont do that also at longer distances, its that they are made for soft tissue shots and most likely deer and elk
Wouldnt you think they would make that clear in their packaging??? really disappointed with this information but glad that I got it now before hunting season.
Has anybody here used them on animals within 100-300 yds? What was the result?
Thinking Ive got to now do load development for Barnes projectiles.

If I'm not mistaken, the ELDs and SST are just plain cup and core bullets. So they are not recommending cup and core bullets on dangerous game because they don't have the structural integrity for deep penetration. Make sense to me.

I discussed my 300 grain 338 VLDs with a friend shooting a 6.5 creedmore and he said that even if the 300 grain bullet sheds 50% of its weight, it still larger than the 6.5 creedmore bullet starting out. Thought that was a good line.

This reminds me of a thread I read about the 30 cal 180 grain Nosler BTs. It stated that it wasn't intended for heavy game but since people were using it, they thickened the jackets of those bullets. They had some cross section comparisons in that thread that seemed to confirm it.

If I'm not mistaken, the ELDs and SST are just plain cup and core bullets. So they are not recommending cup and core bullets on dangerous game because they don't have the structural integrity for deep penetration. Make sense to me.

I discussed my 300 grain 338 VLDs with a friend shooting a 6.5 creedmore and he said that even if the 300 grain bullet sheds 50% of its weight, it still larger than the 6.5 creedmore bullet starting out. Thought that was a good line.

This reminds me of a thread I read about the 30 cal 180 grain Nosler BTs. It stated that it wasn't intended for heavy game but since people were using it, they thickened the jackets of those bullets. They had some cross section comparisons in that thread that seemed to confirm it.

The ELDX has an interlock ring around the base that is supposed to keep it together. Maybe the SST has that as well? The ELDM on the other hand doesn't have that ring and the jacket at the base isn't as thick.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.