Hornady has strange recommendations

Overkill338

Ok, after the huge thread about the ELD-X on grizzly, I started looking around and asking questions. Hornady DOES NOT reccomend the .30 cal ELD-X for big bears. Then it gets stranger....They DO NOT reccomend the 230gr .338 for brownies. But strangest of all, they DO reccomend the 225gr SST Superformance for "Dangerous Endevers".

You just couldn't make this stuff up....

Screenshot_20190709-185113_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20190709-185436_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20190709-185237_Samsung Internet.jpg

Frog4aday

Hmmm...that is interesting. Hey, their bullets, their call. Doesn't mean people can't use them on whatever they want, but it makes you wonder why they recommend as they do. (Thankfully there is always the Nosler Partition to make everything right with the world again, ha!) :D

Overkill338

Hmmm...that is interesting. Hey, their bullets, their call. Doesn't mean people can't use them on whatever they want, but it makes you wonder why they recommend as they do. (Thankfully there is always the Nosler Partition to make everything right with the world again, ha!) :D
I would like to state, I didn't post this to start the debate again. Just don't see how the ELD-X can't work, but the highly fragile SST will ?!

Overkill338

Well, one (ELD-X) is in the PRECISION hunter line, so apparently grizzlies don't need PRECISION...but the SUPERperformance line is, well, SUPER, so how can that NOT work on a Grizzly. Woohoo! I've cracked the code.
Heyyyy good point! With my research and your cyphering, we are unstoppable .....muuahahahahaha

Overkill338

Oh good lord, the 30-06 with a 220 Interlock they reccomend for Cape Buffalo lol

Screenshot_20190709-204031_Samsung Internet.jpg

Then a 338 RCM with a 225 SuperFormance at 2700 will take them down too.

Screenshot_20190709-204935_Samsung Internet.jpg

Then I seen this. I give up trying to understand. 270 ELD-X out of a Lapua just isn't good enough. Better take that 30-06 and the round nose bullet.

Screenshot_20190709-205127_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Frog4aday

You know something is up when the Interlock bullet in the "Custom International" line gets the go ahead on large, dangerous game, but the "ELD-X" bullet does not. Hey, I'm okay with that. The X bullet is merely a derivative of the ELD-M (target) bullet. Wasn't really ever meant for massive penetration on mean, biting things. I'm sure it COULD get the job done, with good shot placement (so could a .22 Hornet if we want to parse this out far enough), but probably not the "best" choice when Hornady has other, better penetrating options.

But I'm confused...SUPERperformance ammo is one thing (it can take down ANYTHING! It's SUPER!) but CUSTOM INTERNATIONAL ammo? Maybe it can only take down Canadian and Russian Grizzlies? Not applicable to AMERICAN brownies...

Overkill338

You know something is up when the Interlock bullet in the "Custom International" line gets the go ahead on large, dangerous game, but the "ELD-X" bullet does not. Hey, I'm okay with that. The X bullet is merely a derivative of the ELD-M (target) bullet. Wasn't really ever meant for massive penetration on mean, biting things. I'm sure it COULD get the job done, with good shot placement (so could a .22 Hornet if we want to parse this out far enough), but probably not the "best" choice when Hornady has other, better penetrating options.

But I'm confused...SUPERperformance ammo is one thing (it can take down ANYTHING! It's SUPER!) but CUSTOM INTERNATIONAL ammo? Maybe it can only take down Canadian and Russian Grizzlies? Not applicable to AMERICAN brownies...
Lool at the post above yours. The 338 Lapua cant do it.

Frog4aday

LOL! I'm sure there will be a big meeting where they sit down to discuss how a .338 Lapua is "not" big game/dangerous game 'recommended'. Can't wait for you to share with us their answer. I'm curious now.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce