Hornady ELD-X published BC

shooter7

Just wondering about something I noticed when ordering bullets last night mainly concerning the difference between .30 cal 212's and 220's. Midway had the 212 listed with a G7 BC of .336 while the 220's list as .325. I checked on yhe hornady website as well and the nymbers from midway match. Is there something I'm missing or does the 212 have a different profile to give it the edge over 220's. Seems to me in my simple mind that the extra weight would give the advantage to the 220's but then again I'm not a rocket surgeon.

Just think about the difference between a 30 cal 215 grain Berger and a old school 220 grain round nose.

Some difference in tip and base and BC can be higher with a lighter bullet.

If you look at the rest of the bullet specs, you will see the 220 grain bullet has a bearing surface that is .104" longer than the 212 but it's OAL is only .020" longer. Based in that, I'm guessing there is a considerable difference in the shape of their noses.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.