Hornady 220 ELD-X

Wachsmann

Just curious if anyone has tried these out of there guns. I have some loaded up for my 300 RUM but just looked at the hornady load data for them and I'm a little low for the RL33 load. But I was wondering if any one had some info on how they shot.

Well for those interested I went out with the 300 today and those 220 ELD. The best group was 98 grn of RL 33. I set them to mag length. The highest charge was my 98 grn charge. I got a .585 inch group excluding 1 shot that I new was not good. With that one included its slightly over an inch. But it was nice to see the gun shooting a good group at mag length. Gun is a rem sendero 300 RUM with a custom brake. Will post load data later. I did not see any pressure from this load. According to Hornady this is safe load data straight from there page and should be running around 2900fps. I think with the group, I don't know if I want to chase the other 50fps they have listed with another 1.7 grains added to the charge. Theirs already a lot of bullet in the case. Over all I was pretty impressed with the bullet grouping. Also one thing about the 220's is they seat very consistent with a normal seating die. I measure to the ogive and they were within .001 of each other for all 20 rounds. Measuring the over all length they would measure different which I think this is usually due to tip difference.

I just finished up load development in my buddies 300 wby Accu mark with them yesterday. Powders used RE25, Retumbo, RE33 and Imr 7828ssc. I couldn't find H1000 locally to try it. The gun choose 7828 seated to mag length w/ fed 215's, wby brass, and 76 grs of said powder. I'm getting just a tad over 3/4" @ 100 yds. I haven't got it chrono'd yet but book suggests 2850 fps @76.3grs. It took about 37 rounds to get to that. UGH!!!! By far the most ive ever needed for any one rifle with one bullet. All the slower powder groups opened at top of load data. Even @ 76.3 with 7828 the group grew to over a inch. Knock .3 grs off and just a bit over 3/4". Go figure?

Gene

Well I thought I would not chase the extra 50 fps as what is posted in Hornady's load data but I could not resist to see what the next grain would do. Load is a 220 grain ELD-X with 99 grains of RL33. The group got a little larger than the 98grn load but this may have been me. The one thing is that most of the shots were horizontal and not vertical. The 98 grn load was more clover style all inside 1 inch. It didn't help today that I had 2 muzzle loaders shooting on each side of me so the smoke poles were getting to me a little with the sulfur smell and the smoke. But I think I had hit the max pressure that I'm willing to shoot also. The primers were getting cratered but there was no bolt lift issue. Also the load was 1.5 inches higher than the 98 grain load. So I expect there is a definite velocity jump. I don't know how much velocity is expected to be loss with RL33 when the temps get colder. I think some one had done a test on this already just will have to look for it. Well the 220 ELD-x is proving out to be a pretty good mag length bullet for my gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.