Hornady 162 Eld-X vs. Eld-M

Stoneke

I posted a thread awhile ago concerning accuracy and run-out factors with my model 70 Extreme Weather 7mm RM. Solved the run-out variation, and am now routinely under .001 run-out. My present question involves an accuracy difference between the X and M versions of the 162 gr Hornady bullets. Using 72 gr of Retumbo, 215M and Nosler or Norma cases at 3050 fps, each seated to just fit the magazine at 3.385". Thus, the Match bullet has a greater jump than the X bullet. Also, the M bullet has a slightly shorter bearing surface. I get 9/16" groups with the Match bullet and 1 1/2" groups with the X bullet. All component factors are the same for each loading. Yes, I know the variability of differing bullets, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar results. Also, has anyone had hunting experience with the 162 eld-m bullet?

It's my guess, you would need to do a different seating depth test for each bullet. If deeper won't work, you would have to "single shot" it for accuracy. I'm using the 162 eld-x with a .030" jump, 2.730" CBTO. Running 7 mag @ 3,066 fps with 69.0 gr of RL-26. Shoots .2-.3 moa to 600 yds. Took a bull @ this past season @ 440 yds, no exit, but jellied both lungs.

I am going to load a few at 3.420 overall length. This length allows the #2 round in the rifle (top round in the magazine) to still fit, although resting on the ramp. Anxious to see if getting closer to the throat is of any benefit.

To be able to accurately monitor your loads for seating depth, it should be tested by using CBTO instead of OAL lengths. OAL will only tell you magazine compatibility. If you don't have them, I would suggest you use Hornady's tools to measure CBTO distance to lands. If you still have enough of bullet bearing surface in the case neck, you might start @ .010" off lands and load 3, seat the next three .010" deeper, and so on, until groups tighten up. You can then, fine tune seating depth, if needed. You can also do this by finding the CBTO of rounds that are max OAL length for your magazine and then doing the same process, as above, to find a load you can cycle thru magazine. You really need a repeatable way to define CBTO for consistant jump, as there is a good bit of difference in meplate to ogive length in secant bullets. Keep good records for comparison to targets. Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.