Hornady .338 in ELD-X

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by alaska, Nov 6, 2017.

1. alaska

alaska Well-Known Member

new bullet on the way
    From Hornady

.338 in 230 gr ELD-X

I am so excited.......

2. Swamplord

Swamplord Well-Known Member

What's it gonna be good for ? way too light for long range hunting, they should have gone with a 300 gr or heavier

SMK1000plus likes this.
  3. LongBomber

LongBomber Well-Known Member

Depending on BC thats a good bullet weight for the 338 win mag sized case. There is a crossover point where a lighter faster bullet that still has a decent bc will outperform the heavy slow high bc.

Mike 338 likes this.
  4. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

It'd be a stinger at 3200 fps from a RUM too. Nothing wrong with this offering. Just another good option.

Mike 338 likes this.
  5. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Looks like they have a 270 grain version as well.
    Plus Nosler has the 265 grain accubond LR.
    Just in time, my .338 RUM is in need of a new barrel.

6. martinakl

martinakl Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  7. 257Tony

257Tony Well-Known Member

Yes thus bullet looks to be tailor made for the win mag, should be able to push to 2900-2950 out of a 26" barrel without too much trouble. Breathes some new life into a great classic big game cartridge.

jasonco and Mike 338 like this.
  8. alaska

alaska Well-Known Member

I am a great fan of the 225gr in my 338 Win and Rum. I use mostly Swift A frames. in 225gr ...and harvested moose easy out to 500 yards.
    But in my Lapua I really like 300gr Berger VLD hunting bullets.....but that gun is in another rehm. :)

I noticed Federal has come out with new bullet very similar ELDX bullets for 2018.
    A heat resistant tip similar to Bear Claws

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  9. Swamplord

IMG_1283.JPG Really like the 270 gr Badlands Super Bulldozer bullet, have a box on hand to mess with, they also make a 240 gr for those who prefer a lighter bullet, turned solid copper with a deep hp and aluminum tip

indabush, phorwath and alaska like this.
  10. alaska

alaska Well-Known Member

Man that bulldozer looks great

11. Swamplord

12. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

SL,
    That Badlands bullet is about design concept perfect, from my perspective.
    Is the manufacturer legit, compared to W3?
    Any info. on reliability of expansion & accuracy yet?
    I've finally had enough bullet splatter and meat shredder experiences with non-bonded lead core bullets to toss in the towel and go 100% copper.
    I value tipped bullets as more reliable expanders than B-style bullets. So I'm hyped to see this bullet, the first AL-tipped lathe cut, high BC copper bullet I've seen come to market.
    I'm happy with high quality bonded controlled expansion lead core bullets for bear/camp defense, and hunting at <~350-400yds. But I experience too much carnage with high BC lead core target style bullets, tipped or non-tipped, even at 700yds.
    1000 is about the farthest I shoot, so these look very promising to my druthers/preferences.
    Cost doesn't bother me terribly as after load development, I don't target shoot much.

Timber338 likes this.
  13. Swamplord

Badlands Precision LLC is a legit bullet manufacturer and have a website and Facebook page, the owner Jason Sejnoha is also a member of the "Wildcat Cartridges in Custom Rifles" Facebook group and readily answers questions about his bullets and what's coming, he is currently testing a 375 cal Super Bulldozer that will be available early next year,

Haven't shot any yet but have a box of the 338 cal 270 gr Super Bulldozers and 30 cal 196 gr Bulldozers that will be in the air soon now that the -10 F temps have passed by and it warmed up to a nice balmy +10 F

http://www.badlandsprecision.com/

14. Swamplord

The Super Bulldozer is one heck of a slippery looking bullet, will be tossing them out at around 3000 - 3100 fps with my 338 PRO .. (338 Norma Improved) a.jpg b.jpg

StanB and Timber338 like this.