Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Hello to everybody!
I'm a newbie here, but been shooting LR and handloading for a while.
I have a 7mm Rem Mag 26" barrel with 1:9.5" twist rate on order, so I need an advice which of the ELD-X bullets might work the best for me? 162 or 150grs?

Apart from that, can somebody post the OAL of 150grs ELD-X, so I can put it in QuickLoad and try to guesstimate the velocity?

Any input or help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

I would go 162. I personally would have ordered a 1:8 to shoot the 175 eld or 180 and 195 bergers, you can still get enough velocity with those to get better performance than the lighter ones. But the 9.5 twist will still do good with the 162 or 168 berger, and they are very effective.

I would go 162. I personally would have ordered a 1:8 to shoot the 175 eld or 180 and 195 bergers, you can still get enough velocity with those to get better performance than the lighter ones. But the 9.5 twist will still do good with the 162 or 168 berger, and they are very effective.

I agree with Cody, try the 162gr ELD-X or ELD Match

I tried 70.0 grains of MapPro with the 162 ELD-X out of a T3 in 7mm Rem Mag. Four shots averaged 2962 with an ES of 48. Velocity increased as the barrel heated, as each shot was faster than the last for the first three shots. I waited 4 minutes between three and four and the velocity dropped. Go figure.

Primers are a little flat but Winchester primers are a little soft. Brass is virgin Remington.

IMG_0093_zps2lzxwsjg.jpg

Accuracy at the range wasn't bad but it was a windy day. I think playing with seating depth might help. OAL figure is from the ogive using a comparator.

IMG_0233_zpsm3irsmj0.jpg

It gives me a place to start.

P
You're over pressure there and I'd back off. The primers are pushing out and flattening and you can see some distortion of the printing as well. I would definitely back down at least a half or full grain and maybe 1.5gr and just see if you can find a really satisfactory accuracy node. It's not worth the added wear and tear for a few extra FPS and when you're already over pressure the possibility of things going really bad, really quickly especially once things warm up is definitely there.

You're over pressure there and I'd back off. The primers are pushing out and flattening and you can see some distortion of the printing as well. I would definitely back down at least a half or full grain and maybe 1.5gr and just see if you can find a really satisfactory accuracy node. It's not worth the added wear and tear for a few extra FPS and when you're already over pressure the possibility of things going really bad, really quickly especially once things warm up is definitely there.

I'm glad you said it , those primers are flatter than my wife. Haha. But those are definelty flat.
If you think that is a good load then try to see if you can get 3 loads on that brass. I bet it doesn't make 3 loading Especially in Rem brass. Yowzers.

I've kinda picked through the almost 200 pages on this thread but thought I'd ask directly to those have some experience...

What amount of jump has everyone settled in on? I just bought a box of the 143's to try. I always try a few different lengths but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

I've kinda picked through the almost 200 pages on this thread but thought I'd ask directly to those who have some experience...

What amount of jump to the lands has everyone settled in on? I just bought a box of the 143's to try. I always try a few different lengths when I start out with a new bullet but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

I've kinda picked through the almost 200 pages on this thread but thought I'd ask directly to those who have some experience...

What amount of jump to the lands has everyone settled in on? I just bought a box of the 143's to try. I always try a few different lengths when I start out with a new bullet but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

I have ran the berger test on the 162 7mm, 143 6.5, 147 6.5, 200 30, and 212 30 and a couple liked .050" jump, one liked .090" jump, and the 147 shoots good within .005" for me.

Run the berger test, that will tell ya. They seem to be all over the place, but most like to be jumped some

I have ran the berger test on the 162 7mm, 143 6.5, 147 6.5, 200 30, and 212 30 and a couple liked .050" jump, one liked .090" jump, and the 147 shoots good within .005" for me.

Run the berger test, that will tell ya. They seem to be all over the place, but most like to be jumped some

Thanks for the info.

I had planned to run the test. I've got 4 lengths loaded up now. Hopefully I'll have time to shoot soon.

I've kinda picked through the almost 200 pages on this thread but thought I'd ask directly to those have some experience...

What amount of jump has everyone settled in on? I just bought a box of the 143's to try. I always try a few different lengths but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

My 6.5 SS shoots well with a .005" jump
6.5 SS .014" group.jpg

6.5 ss 61.5 grains H1000 .111".jpg

Hi
I'm new here and kinda struggling to work out this forum (posts etc) but getting there.
I have a 270Win 1-10 twist and I'm about to reload some ELD-X 145 gr but I can't find any reloading data. I'm thinking about using ADI 2213SC and if I cant find data for a 145 gr then use the data for 150 and work my way up. Has anyone got any experience with the ELD-X in270Win? Looking forward to hear back
Cheers

Welcome Mrperry! I am interested in trying the 145's in my 270 Win too. I have had good results with IMR 4350 in the 140/150 weights

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.