Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

I tried 70.0 grains of MapPro with the 162 ELD-X out of a T3 in 7mm Rem Mag. Four shots averaged 2962 with an ES of 48. Velocity increased as the barrel heated, as each shot was faster than the last for the first three shots. I waited 4 minutes between three and four and the velocity dropped. Go figure.

Primers are a little flat but Winchester primers are a little soft. Brass is virgin Remington.

IMG_0093_zps2lzxwsjg.jpg

Accuracy at the range wasn't bad but it was a windy day. I think playing with seating depth might help. OAL figure is from the ogive using a comparator.

IMG_0233_zpsm3irsmj0.jpg

It gives me a place to start.

P

I tried 70.0 grains of MapPro with the 162 ELD-X out of a T3 in 7mm Rem Mag. Four shots averaged 2962 with an ES of 48. Velocity increased as the barrel heated, as each shot was faster than the last for the first three shots. I waited 4 minutes between three and four and the velocity dropped. Go figure.

Primers are a little flat but Winchester primers are a little soft. Brass is virgin Remington.

IMG_0093_zps2lzxwsjg.jpg

Accuracy at the range wasn't bad but it was a windy day. I think playing with seating depth might help. OAL figure is from the ogive using a comparator.

IMG_0233_zpsm3irsmj0.jpg

P

A little flat?! Looks like it's max from my judgement and I shoot Winchester primers. I would back that down a half grain or so. I like there to be a little ring around the primer or have them be rounded on the edges before I settle on that load. No reason to over work your brass and run high pressure

IMG_0093_zps2lzxwsjg.jpg

IMG_0233_zpsm3irsmj0.jpg

P

What is your case capacity, OAL and bbl length?

That's got some heat in it, I would maybe try some different primers and work back up or more likely just drop a grain. Those primers look flatter than Kansas.

IMG_0093_zps2lzxwsjg.jpg

IMG_0233_zpsm3irsmj0.jpg

P

I would try a different powder, I have never failed to get well over 3000 fps and under 30 fps ES with any of 6 7mm rem mags I have loaded for wit 162's. And those are usually under max loads.

But were they ELD-X bullets? Bearing surface greatly affects friction.

P

Yes, actually got over 3120 fps with the 162 eldx. Hornady brass only lasted 3 loads before the primer pocket was getting loose with that load though, so we backed it down to 3075. On the 4th load with that one now, no marks on case head and primer is still tight. If you can't get the performance you want with that powder, I would try H-4831 or Retumbo. If you can though, stick with what you got. I would just prefer lower e.s. speeds than that, personally. And you may be able to achieve that simply with a different primer.

Hello to everybody!
I'm a newbie here, but been shooting LR and handloading for a while.
I have a 7mm Rem Mag 26" barrel with 1:9.5" twist rate on order, so I need an advice which of the ELD-X bullets might work the best for me? 162 or 150grs?

Apart from that, can somebody post the OAL of 150grs ELD-X, so I can put it in QuickLoad and try to guesstimate the velocity?

Any input or help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts