Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

wound.jpg
Exit wound of the Blesbok I shot at 398 yards.

Great pics...can't believe the size of the wildebeast! I can see that some of your shots are indeed, forward...what type of bullets did you hunt with prior to the ELD-X? How would you compare their performance on large game?

Thanks again,

Man, it looks like you had an awesome trip! Most of the animals were quite large, so I would not expect exit wounds at the ranges they were shot at. It definitely did a number on the Blesbok upon exit though. I would imagine that there was considerable internal damage on the animals where the bullets did not exit. I have heard of jackets being shed at higher velocities, but that does not concern me at all. Two large pieces do a lot of damage and it is a trade off for good performance at longer range.....Rich

I just got done doing a ladder test with my 7mm 175 ELD-X, IMR 7977,26" proof barrel, AG stock, Huskemaw scope. I did it at 500yrds and I shot a round robin from low to high and then high to low using two targets. After the first round I let the barrel cool completely down, then started again. The pictures show how there is a node at 67.6,67.9,and 68. Then there is another one at 69, 69.3,and 69.6. I was going to shot a third group but it started to rain and the wind came up. I think the higher node is what I will use to load to. 69.3 20160518_162227[1].jpg

20160518_162428[1].jpg

I think this ELDX bullet is going to make some waves. Until proven otherwise though, I still like the 150 Matrix in my 6.5......Rich

Took the 143's out again yesterday in my 6.5 WSM. 66 grains of N570 averaged 3190 with an ES of 18 over five shots (I know, not a large sample). I was loading at the range in the wind so my loads could be off .2 - .3 grains. I'm .010" off the lands and will play around with that adjustment next. Now that I'm on paper I'll be shooting longer distances as well.

Here's the target at 100 yards with five shots. The first three shots are the group on the right. They were 45 seconds to a minute apart. The next one is the left one which was about four minutes later followed by the last about a minute later. It's certainly got some potential.

Attachments

• 143_100.jpg
    143_100.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 67
Finally got to the range yesterday to chrono the factory ammo I bought, as well as get enough shot to have brass to reload for my new Creedmoor. It was a VERY WINDY DAY....20+ mph. The Hornady ELDMs shot real good with groups of .298" & .416" with two 5 shot strings that averaged 2747 & 2782 fps with Exterme Spreads of 57 & 29. The ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo didn't do so well with the best group being .712" at 2723 avg with ES of 44. Both were approx .005" off the lands.

Now that I have brass, I'm looking forward to trying different seating depths to see if I can make the ELD-Xs shoot.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 51
I went out again today to test the legs on the 6.5 SS with the 143 ELDX. My load was a moderate one of 61.5 grs. H1000 at a mv of 3155'. This load shot .1's and .0's earlier in the week. I forgot my data sheet but guessed I needed about 23moa at 1095 yards. I shot at the paper target I had put up and missed by only 3". I then zeroed in on the jugs that I had filled with water just to the left of the paper target. The first shot centered the jug and penetrated 3 jugs total. The bullet JUST got thru the 3rd jug and I think it dropped between some rocks where I could not find it. It trashed the first 2 jugs! I then zeroed in on a 4 gal. plastic pail filled with water with milk jugs behind it. This bullet, the one in the pic, penetrated the pail, one milk jug, and was stuck in the carpet I had placed behind everything. I think 1 of the lead chunks and the piece of jacket, may have been from another round? I made several conclusions from the above: These bullets are VERY accurate and are spot on as far as advertised b.c. I found this to be true when fired from my 6.5 sherman as well. Also, expansion will be NO PROBLEM at long range. I am not concerned that they came unglued because I have found over years of testing that water will rip a bullet apart more than meat. I think this is partly because there is no side pressure in the water to keep it together. The impact velocity was approx. 1859 fps and energy was 1097 ft. lbs. It took 22.9 moa to zero the jugs. Below are the pics......Rich
6.5SS milk jugs @1095 yds. 143 eldx.jpg

143eldx @ 1095 yds (3 milk jugs).jpg

I went out again today to test the legs on the 6.5 SS with the 143 ELDX. My load was a moderate one of 61.5 grs. H1000 at a mv of 3155'. This load shot .1's and .0's earlier in the week. I forgot my data sheet but guessed I needed about 23moa at 1095 yards. I shot at the paper target I had put up and missed by only 3". I then zeroed in on the jugs that I had filled with water just to the left of the paper target. The first shot centered the jug and penetrated 3 jugs total. The bullet JUST got thru the 3rd jug and I think it dropped between some rocks where I could not find it. It trashed the first 2 jugs! I then zeroed in on a 4 gal. plastic pail filled with water with milk jugs behind it. This bullet, the one in the pic, penetrated the pail, one milk jug, and was stuck in the carpet I had placed behind everything. I think 1 of the lead chunks and the piece of jacket, may have been from another round? I made several conclusions from the above: These bullets are VERY accurate and are spot on as far as advertised b.c. I found this to be true when fired from my 6.5 sherman as well. Also, expansion will be NO PROBLEM at long range. I am not concerned that they came unglued because I have found over years of testing that water will rip a bullet apart more than meat. I think this is partly because there is no side pressure in the water to keep it together. The impact velocity was approx. 1859 fps and energy was 1097 ft. lbs. It took 22.9 moa to zero the jugs. Below are the pics......Rich
View attachment 61472

View attachment 61473
Water is one of the most destructive forces in nature. It will penetrate into places like nothing else and it does not compress so when it's under pressure everything around it moves.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.