Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Saw some of the 162's on the shelf in Miles City MT. Yesterday. I sent Hornady a e-mail a month ago to ask when the 175's would be out. They said that they expected to ship them early in March. Should be on shelves in. A couple of weeks..... I hope.... Bruce

I saw the 162 ELD-match in Billings but haven't seen a 175 in ELD-Match or an ELD-X yet! Have 2 boxes of 175's in the ELD-X on order, one from Cabelas and one from Shiptons, we'll see which place wins!

300 RUM Hornady ELD X 212 loaded with 93 grains of H1000 and 3.108 off my comparator does 3138fps across a magneto speed with a brux 26" barrel. Shoots 1 hole groups. I also backed the charge off a bit to 92 grains h1000 and still shoots awesome. I changed spacing to 3.088. It came across magneto speed @ 3100 fps. Shot a .400 group.gun)

Last weekend I took the 300 Rum out with a new powder charge and my buddies magneto speed. I loaded 94 grains retumbo and was shooting great groups with this also. It was 3.108 off my comparator and running 3173 fps. This is going to be what I settle on.

I am getting a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel shortly (going from .308) and have ordered 143 grs Hornady ELD-x.

I can't get to get started testing :) I just got 300 Norma brass and will be using them along with Reload Swiss 70 with 46,5 grs which should give me about 855 meters per Sec.

Is there anything I should know before I start reloading 143 grs?

Also, how is your drop over distance?

Br
Christian

Mxracer532
Has anyone got any of these in.284??? I want to try some but for **** sakes when will they be available??

I feel your pain on this one ! ! ! I have a new 280AI that loves the 162 A-max, these ELD-X are the pills I want to run in it. . .anticipation is a MO-FO ! ! ! I see all the adds and even a few commercials on the TV for these bullets. I don't understand why a company builds the hype, but cannot deliver. . .I think we saw this from Nosler a while back too with their Accubonds. I guess we just need to sit back and salivate a while longer. :rolleyes:

Just shoot the bergers No melting tips and higher BC's. I killed a 600 lb Nigai 2 weeks ago with a 180gr target Hybrid. I walked 20 feet and dropped dead. That is a super good outcome on an Nilgai - very tough to kill them. Dropped an elk at 625 yards in Chama last november with the same bullet - it didn't take one step. The ELD's are basically Amax bullets with new plastic in them. If you preferred another bullet over the Amax no point in moving to the ELD-x unless you are just super curious to confirm they are basically the same minus the "melting" tip issue.... which even if it is an issue probably not inside 500-600 yards...

I wish Berger would tip their bullets.

They'd splatter pretty hard on the entry side of animals with high velocity impacts. But they would expand more reliably, IMO. The most massive entry side damage I've observed on a large game animal was with a tipped-bullet similar to Berger construction, impacting a caribou @ 2900fps.

Tipped bullets need a stouter jacket to reduce explosiveness at high impact velocity. However tipped Bergers would likely perform well at long range, reduced velocity impacts. As in ~1300 - 2300fps impact velocities. Much of this knowledge comes from 'elkaholic', a forum member with a lot of experience making and tested tipped bullets using jackets similar to the Berger J4 jackets.

Ok fair enough. I was only making a suggestion to the guy who was lamenting about Hornady still not able to deliver most of these bullets that were announced 4 months ago. No one will dispute that Bergers have won by a large margin more competitive long range matches around the world in recent times than any other bullet manufacturer. Their long range accuracy and predictability is beyond reproach. In my experience they are very very deadly too. I suppose with all bullets there are good and unfortunate outcomes when hunting. Regardless they are obviously a proven alternative to something available and certainly to something unavailable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.