Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

You should post a pic of the blood trail (blood freeway) that you showed me! That was a case where a pic was worth a 1000 words:D.......Rich

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

I was afraid to shoot a 2nd time... LMAO :D

MoosewithBergerHits_zps58e42752.jpg

Good Grief! That's even worse (better) than I remembered. That was a 190, wasn't it? As I recall, it was bonded too. I actually quit bonding those jackets because in a way, it had an opposite than intended consequence. Those were .020" Sierra jackets with .012" mouth and a .200" aluminum tip. Even though the bonding would cause some of the lead to stick to what was left of the jacket, it annealed (softened) the jacket so much it actually made them worse at high impact. At long range, the bonding had little or no affect anyway. These bullets are fantastic at long range but you have to pic your shots up close; (Which you did). The point about the tipped Bergers is well taken. This is pretty much what would happen. It is obvious that something exited though! Thanks for posting that Paul........Rich

Good Grief! That's even worse (better) than I remembered. That was a 190, wasn't it? As I recall, it was bonded too. I actually quit bonding those jackets because in a way, it had an opposite than intended consequence. Those were .020" Sierra jackets with .012" mouth and a .200" aluminum tip. Even though the bonding would cause some of the lead to stick to what was left of the jacket, it annealed (softened) the jacket so much it actually made them worse at high impact. At long range, the bonding had little or no affect anyway. These bullets are fantastic at long range but you have to pic your shots up close; (Which you did). The point about the tipped Bergers is well taken. This is pretty much what would happen. It is obvious that something exited though! Thanks for posting that Paul........Rich

Was this one of your SXR design Rich? That's very impressive to say the least!! Got any 7mm weights?? Awesome shot Phorwath, thanks for sharing!

Was this one of your SXR design Rich? That's very impressive to say the least!! Got any 7mm weights?? Awesome shot Phorwath, thanks for sharing!

Yes it was. I shot an elk in Mt. with one. I had practiced at over 1000 yards for weeks, and wouldn't you know, he popped out at 90 yards. I shot him a couple ribs back of the shoulder (intentionally) and he took 2 steps BACKWARD and dropped on his butt. DOA:D When I gutted him, I found the 5 gr. aluminum ballistic tip lying in the bottom of the chest cavity, there was a small part of the jacket cup in the far rib cage, and mass devastation in between!. I also took a moose at 720 and a muley at 680 where the bullet performed perfectly. NO BONDING! Both bullets penetrated to the far side and were perfectly mushroomed to double diameter.
I only make 30's and shoot mostly 209's now with a 345 b.c. They will expand down to 1300' or less. I tried one on a white tail buck in N. Id. with a reduced load. The impact velocity was approx 1400'/sec. I shot him through the heaviest part of the shoulder to try to catch the bullet. It exited the off shoulder leaving a golf ball sized hole. I looked for that bullet in the ground for over an hour and never could find it. I was wishing I had a metal detector. Guess I'm kind of weird on the forensics, but I have learned a lot over the years by paying attention to bullets. I get ticked at my buddies when they don't save them ....Rich

Guess I'm kind of weird on the forensics, but I have learned a lot over the years by paying attention to bullets. I get ticked at my buddies when they don't save them ....Rich

I hear you Rich. I've got a collection of recovered bullets, mostly Berger and cataloged by rifle and impact velocity,
nerd I guess.

Yeah, Rich's .308 bullets are deadly.

If I shoot another animal at close range, I may just aim off to the side 12" or so on the first shot and see what happens... :) ...:D

I started making some for closer shots with a double jacket. I swage a 264 jacket, which is about .900" long into the Sierra or J4 at 1.15" with the lead core, and they still have the thin nose, but hold together much better. They actually shoot pretty well. I had a buddy shoot an elk intentionally in the center of the shoulder. (spring depredation hunt) The bullet penetrated most of the way through the opposite shoulder and stopped just short of the hide. It retained about 1/2 the weight and messed that cow up pretty good. She went straight down! This was with a 300 saum at 150 yards. I also made a partition by seating an even shorter 264 jacket inside with a double pure lead core. These worked pretty well too, but I actually liked the way the double jacket performed a little better....Rich

I started making some for closer shots with a double jacket. I swage a 264 jacket, which is about .900" long into the Sierra or J4 at 1.15" with the lead core, and they still have the thin nose, but hold together much better. They actually shoot pretty well. I had a buddy shoot an elk intentionally in the center of the shoulder. (spring depredation hunt) The bullet penetrated most of the way through the opposite shoulder and stopped just short of the hide. It retained about 1/2 the weight and messed that cow up pretty good. She went straight down! This was with a 300 saum at 150 yards. I also made a partition by seating an even shorter 264 jacket inside with a double pure lead core. These worked pretty well too, but I actually liked the way the double jacket performed a little better....Rich

The mad scientist strikes again! Lol, that's great Rich, thanks for sharing:D

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.