Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

That would work!

My "go-to's" are the 208gr AMax, 215gr Berger Hybrid, and 220gr SMK.

DocB

The 208 shoots so well in my 300 Weatherby. I would love just change the BC in my calculator and sill get the groups I get.

Nobody is "whining" about cost. But it makes sense to be a comparison shopper. If you have unlimited funds then good on ya. Most people that is not the case. If money is no object, why not buy Warner Tool 200gr 308 with a BC of .780? Interesting nobody here jumping on the pulpit has even brought that up. I have yet to hear a retail cost from anyone. Why should it not be a pertinent question? As I said, if it comes in at a price point of the A-Max then fantastic. But for what I do the A-Max carries me out to 1000 so buying the more expensive shiny new thing on the market makes little sense.
That is all....

Nobody is "whining" about cost. But it makes sense to be a comparison shopper. If you have unlimited funds then good on ya. Most people that is not the case. If money is no object, why not buy Warner Tool 200gr 308 with a BC of .780? Interesting nobody here jumping on the pulpit has even brought that up. I have yet to hear a retail cost from anyone. Why should it not be a pertinent question? As I said, if it comes in at a price point of the A-Max then fantastic. But for what I do the A-Max carries me out to 1000 so buying the more expensive shiny new thing on the market makes little sense.
That is all....

If you go back and read you post. You said we shouldn't discuss them, or worry about BCs, because you are not sure if you can afford them.

Wow. I was just coming to say how IMHO it does not matter what the bullet BC is if it costs more then the current A-max cause I will then stay with the A-max. Now if it comes in at the same price point fantastic.
But you all are getting serious and cant even shoot it yet..... How bout we get it in supply first and then discuss.
Kind of like a mythical new lab radar bullet doppler system I once heard about through a friend of a friends friend.

Clearly I state if it comes in at the same price point fantastic. And then made the statement it is not even in stock yet.
Also never said I could not afford them. Please show me where that was posted by me. I stated that the A-Max was and is a good bullet and covers what I need at a certain price point. If I need more then I would consider it. Why such animosity to someone wanting to cover other aspects of this new bullet?

No animosity from me. You really seem to want to know what these bullets will cost. I'm just letting you know you could visit the Hornady web site in order to see their MSRPs for these bullets.

No animosity from me. You really seem to want to know what these bullets will cost. I'm just letting you know you could visit the Hornady web site in order to see their MSRPs for these bullets.

I did. But MSRP of 48-54 is prob not what retail will be. By comparison the A-Max is MSRP 41.75. I always buy in bulk so the last 1000 rounds of A-Max I got was $0.23ea(z-Max)

Maybe stop arguing and get on midway to see what they are charging. Seems everyone has to be right here. This thread has gotten a tad off subject Id say.

Clearly I state if it comes in at the same price point fantastic. And then made the statement it is not even in stock yet.
Also never said I could not afford them. Please show me where that was posted by me. I stated that the A-Max was and is a good bullet and covers what I need at a certain price point. If I need more then I would consider it. Why such animosity to someone wanting to cover other aspects of this new bullet?

Email from Midway has the 143gr .264 at $36.99. Backorder ok.

There now you know. I have seen them ranging from this ^ to $43.00. I just looked on Midway like LPRoad and Phorwath did.
Now lets get back on topic.

I have fired more 178 AMAXs than any other bullet both for practice and overall ballistic testing for my own personal gratification. I don't know if that makes me qualified to offer any opinions here but I'll offer some possible evidence to support Hornady's claims.

The attached picture shows both new and fired 178 AMAXs.

308 Win 5R. 2550'/sec MV. Distance 650 yards.

What I do know is that the 178 starts strong and while all bullet's BCs degrade over time due to decaying velocity, the 178's BC decays VERY rapidly past 600 yards. Much faster than many other bullets of similar weight. Now I know that the 178 AMAX is far from sleek compared to many other bullet lines but neither is the 175 SMK, however the 175 SMK's BC doesn't decay nearly as bad as the 178 AMAX.

Between the bullet pictured here and the rapid decay rate of the 178 AMAX, I'm inclined to believe what Hornady is saying.

You be the judge.

If the info on the new 178 ELDX holds true, this could be my last 308Win bullet choice.

M

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 210
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.