Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Four boxes of the 162's came in from Cabela's today (backordered a month ago) and two more on the way! Fingers crossed these workout for my two antelope tags and my mule deer tag this year!

~Robert

Attachments

• ELDX_7mm_162g.jpg
    ELDX_7mm_162g.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 54
I actually emailed them about that as I have a box of 162 ELD Match sitting on the shelf. They basically said that the original figures were preliminary estimates, and to use the updated info. 162 ELD-M has essentially the same G7 BC as the 175gr ELD-X had...

I actually emailed them about that as I have a box of 162 ELD Match sitting on the shelf. They basically said that the original figures were preliminary estimates, and to use the updated info. 162 ELD-M has essentially the same G7 BC as the 175gr ELD-X had...

Sounds like marketing BS to me, I'm not buying it. There is no way the 175 ELD-X has a higher BC than the 180 VLD.

"preliminary estimates" ?!?!

didn't Hornady make a big deal about Doppler Radar and providing accurate bc's when hyping up these bullets ?

something ain't right here

So now that we have some let's see how they shoot. This is a 284 Winchester load, 175 grain ELD-X, 58.5 gr RL-26, REM 9 1/2M primers, seated 3.242. I loaded a few up to pressure test, this is 7 rounds fired at 100yds.

Shows promise ...

Sounds like marketing BS to me, I'm not buying it. There is no way the 175 ELD-X has a higher BC than the 180 VLD.

It doesn't... .345 G7 on the 180 Hunting VLD. All you need to do is email them, that's all I did and I told essentially what they responded with.

Time will tell... Have a great day guys!

About 0.010 off the lands. (There is a smudge all the way around the bullet from the lead, but no marks from the lands.)

Last edited:
I did some testing with the 162 ELD-X this weekend out of my 280 AI. I tested H4831sc and Retumbo. Retumbo won in the accuracy and velocity department. According to my chronograph, I was able to get 3108 fps with 63.7 grs of Retumbo, Rem Brass, and a Fed 215M. I had a very light extractor mark and a little cratering. There was a node around 3060 that looked very promising. I checked my chronograph with two different rifles and the velocities matched my buddies magneto. This was a max load so work up slowly. I was able to get 3050 out of H4831sc, but the accuracy wasn't there. I did have a node worth exploring right around 3030 though.

Attachments

• IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 56
I did some testing with the 162 ELD-X this weekend out of my 280 AI. I tested H4831sc and Retumbo. Retumbo won in the accuracy and velocity department. According to my chronograph, I was able to get 3108 fps with 63.7 grs of Retumbo, Rem Brass, and a Fed 215M. I had a very light extractor mark and a little cratering. There was a node around 3060 that looked very promising. I checked my chronograph with two different rifles and the velocities matched my buddies magneto. This was a max load so work up slowly. I was able to get 3050 out of H4831sc, but the accuracy wasn't there. I did have a node worth exploring right around 3030 though.

What twist do you have in your 280AI barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.