Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

I have not seen recommended twist rate for these bullets. I hope there made to work in standard twist rate. I will make a prediction Hornady will jump to #1 in the long range bullet market.
Thanks Hornady.

We have been shooting the 7mm 162 and 175s and 30 cal 200 and 212s for a few months. Harvesting most of our animals this fall. We've run them in 7 Rem Mag, 7LRM and 28 Nosler and the 300 Win 30 LRM and 300 RUM. We are very excited about this bullet--its been a long wait.

I went to Hornady three years ago with a request for a tipped 175 grain bullet designed for long range hunting, that would expand reliably when the velocity starts dropping. They have really delivered with this bullet. The doppler radar data is probably the most interesting piece of info. Check the real drag on the Nosler bullets!

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/resources/ELD-X_ELD-Match_Technical_Details.pdf

Have you noticed some major manufactures are not using the Shot Shot to introduce new products to the public? What a relief. A thousand vendors introducing new products all at the same time and none of them are even close to being able to provide them to their customers. So if Hornady introduces them about the 1st of Nov and thinks they can get them to market by the first of the year, I say "good on them". Looks like manufactures are finding out that making customers wait for years does nothing for brand loyalty. That promo video was pretty top notch. Gotta be careful of tall talk though. These bullets are going to have to be as good as they say. Can't wait.

We have been shooting the 7mm 162 and 175s and 30 cal 200 and 212s for a few months. Harvesting most of our animals this fall. We've run them in 7 Rem Mag, 7LRM and 28 Nosler and the 300 Win 30 LRM and 300 RUM. We are very excited about this bullet--its been a long wait.

I went to Hornady three years ago with a request for a tipped 175 grain bullet designed for long range hunting, that would expand reliably when the velocity starts dropping. They have really delivered with this bullet. The doppler radar data is probably the most interesting piece of info. Check the real drag on the Nosler bullets!

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/resources/ELD-X_ELD-Match_Technical_Details.pdf

Aaron
I have been watching your website waiting for the LR MAX. Is this the bullet that you have been waiting for? I'm guessing you had something to do with this bullet? I'm a Nosler guy but if this works like they say :cool:...... Are these like a Berger as far as being finicky to seating depth?
Thanks
Dave

Hmmm.... I guess my question is that if the tips melt on all other tipped bullets, why do I have white plastic pock marks in the middle of my bullet splashes well past 100 yards on my steel targets after shooting them with Nosler Accubonds?

The next question is, will they convert all of the tipped bullets in their bullet line to the new "heat shield"? Amax, SST, Interbond

I have not seen recommended twist rate for these bullets. I hope there made to work in standard twist rate. I will make a prediction Hornady will jump to #1 in the long range bullet market.
Thanks Hornady.

Hornady will not magically become #1 in the LR bullet market, just for coming up with 1 bullet that hasn't been proven by years of winning competitions and hunting performance. That title will have to be earned.

That being said...

I have no doubt that it will be a high-quality bullet, as Hornady has always made quality components. And, I do hope that (for their sake) this doesn't end up like the Nosler LRAB...

Thank you for your response Aaron and the information you provided! I have always watched your show on the outdoor channel and you guys are some of the best in the business. Also wanted to say thanks for being the initiator for this bullet and really getting Hornady interested in the concept and ultimately marketing it. Glad to hear you have had success with these new projectiles and from what I saw on your episode ,featuring Hornady's engineers and staff, these bullets look amazing! I can't wait to try them in my .300 Win Mag.

Hmmm.... I guess my question is that if the tips melt on all other tipped bullets, why do I have white plastic pock marks in the middle of my bullet splashes well past 100 yards on my steel targets after shooting them with Nosler Accubonds?

The next question is, will they convert all of the tipped bullets in their bullet line to the new "heat shield"? Amax, SST, Interbond

I don't think the tip fully melts away, just a portion of it and just enough to cause erratic drag. The Accubonds may not have a high enough BC to really see the tips melt away as much as say a 162gr A-MAX or 208gr A-MAX. You also may not have enough velocity to see the tips start to disintegrate.

I don't think the tip fully melts away, just a portion of it and just enough to cause erratic drag. The Accubonds may not have a high enough BC to really see the tips melt away as much as say a 162gr A-MAX or 208gr A-MAX. You also may not have enough velocity to see the tips start to disintegrate.

Yeah, that's my conclusion too after dissecting the information. It's an intriguing design for sure. I'll put some down range.

I've always wondered why Berger never made a 338 Cal bullet weight between 250 & 300 gr ..... It makes no sense at all they have such a large gap in bullet weight ....
250 gr Elite bc .685
300 gr Elite bc .814
just using math to arrive at a bc between the two is a 275 gr bullet with a bc of .749 , then compute a 285 gr bullet bc of .768 rougly .......
The new Hornady 285 ELD Match has a bc of .789 verified by Doppler Radar so it's an accurate # ! Loaded to 3100 fps in my 338 Edge it will be most awesome .......

300 Elite bc .814 at 2900 vs 285 ELD bc .789 at 3100 fps ?

The 285 gr ELD Match carries an advantage all the way out to 2000 yards and the 300 gr Elite Hunter never catches up ......
Bonus is that tip will allow for longer range positive expansion on game ........

Look at the #'s in pic ( my elev. is 413 ft )
ELD Match on the left and Elite Hunter on right ....

I'm looking forward to the 338 cal 285 gr ELD Match and hope Hornady techs get their heads out of their asses and produce a long range 375 cal bullet

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 231
The problem with the 285 Amaxs and the ELD is the bearing surface is longer than the Berger so you can't shoot them any faster. That is why they aren't that popular.

You're simulating the ELD with 8.2 kJ, that seems to be a bit high. The Berger is simulated with 7.6 kJ. Why do you believe the ELD will be more efficient in making use of the propellant?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.