Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Would you mind sharing load data for the 6.5-284 and STW. I'm just beginning load development for the 143 in a new 6.5-284. I'm also looking pretty hard at giving the 175's a go in my STW. Thank you

Would you mind sharing load data for the 6.5-284 and STW. I'm just beginning load development for the 143 in a new 6.5-284. I'm also looking pretty hard at giving the 175's a go in my STW. Thank you

I can help you with the 6.5-284. We are shooting 140gr ELD Matches with 58.0gr of Retumbo, Nosler brass, and Fed 210 primers at 3025fps. With the 147gr ELDs we are using 55.0gr of Retumbo and we're getting 2950fps with them. I would start around 54.0gr of Retumbo with your 143s and work up until you hit pressure, around the 56-58gr mark.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have some 143 to try in my 6.5-284 and some 200 grain to try in a 308 fcp-sr. I haven't even tried the 143 yet but the first couple loads I tried with the 200 are down to 1/2" @100. So I have high hopes that with a little tweaking those will shoot close to 1/4 moa.

I shoot both of these calibers, so I've got info for you. I just finished load development for the Norma.
First off, do a seating depth test the way Berger suggests in order to find the best COAL for these bullets in your rifle. My STW liked a lot of jump (3.63") and the Norma liked them closer to the lands (3.165"). Unless you have a 1:8.5 or less twist in your STW, don't bother trying to load these. I have a 1:9.25 twist and they just don't stabilize well, and I spent a lot of time and got really frustrated. I can get just around 1 moa or slightly less, while the rifle shoots everything else(140-162gr) 0.5 moa or less.

With the 6.5 Norma, start at 54.0gr of Retumbo as suggested in an earlier post. I did, and got 4 shots in one hole. My final load was 57.6gr, Nosler brass, 210M primer, 2973fps. BUT I shot this load last week when re-zeroing my rifle at 200 yards with it and started having pressure issues and getting a sticky bolt lift. The temperature was about 20 degrees warmer compared to when I developed this load, so I'm going to drop down to 54.0gr for a warmer weather load. I'll run it over the MagnettoSpeed to see what my velocity is, and according to QuickLoad it should be around 2800fps.
If you can get your hands on RL-26, you may want to use it. Shooting a 140gr Ballistic Tip, 55.5gr RL26, Nosler Brass, 210M, 2.98" COAL, 3019fps. I didn't measure the group because it was just a ragged hole and I know it's less than 0.5moa

Hope this helps
Doug

Tip deformation in the magazine, whether Berger VLD's or any of the plastic tipped affairs , IMO, is something that should be carefully watched, particularly with heavier recoiling rifles. It's the primary reason that I like a muzzle break on even my already, mild recoiling 6.5x284's. I have on several occasions found the plastic tips of the Accubonds and BST's laying in the bottom of one of my, unbraked 300WM's magazine well, or a deformed meplat on a Berger VLD removed from the magazine after firing. When hunting at long range I always check the tips of my bullets from the magazine of a rifle that has been fired. From the prior post I'll be sure to check the ELD-X as well. I just worked up a very impressive load using the 200ELD-x in my 300WM.
One thing I initially was concerned about but have grown to appreciate about the Peregrines is that they have somewhat rebated flattened point that prevents deformation. Being brass the tips are far less prone to deforming anyhow and definitely won't melt.

Thanks for sharing your load...I'm going to stay with my load. Incidentally, I just had my barrel cryogenically tempered by 300 BELOW in Illinois. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but as soon as this snowstorm stops and I can get to the range, it will be interesting to see how it has affected accuracy. They claim a 50% reduction in group size plus greater barrel life and easier cleaning...we'll see...My best group was .150" @
200 yards...I guess that might mean a couple in the same hole now! Realistically, though...probably not.
I really hope once you've figured out how much if any difference you're seeing you'll start a thread on it. This is something I've really considered.

Well I don't have time to read through 200 pages of thread so can anyone that has Been following the whole time tell me if there is a trend forming if the bullets like to be jammed, close to the lands, or a fairly long jump?

Thanks.

I'm particularly interested in the 6.5 143 and 308" bullets
I haven't found them to be very sensitive to seating depth, if anything better accuracy just sticking with standard SAAMI Length or slightly longer.

Me neither. I just worked up a load in a 6.5 WSM (new barrel) and found they shot great anywhere. I was .140" off the lands to start with since that's where my seating die was from a different bullet.

I shot my first ones today. 150 gr ELDX in a 7mm WSM. 65.5 grains of H4831. The rifle is a Savage 16FCSS and honestly it's the most accurate large caliber rifle I own. I must say I don't have any customs but a couple of accumarks and some Brownings x bolts and a bolts. The Savage is absolutely amazing. Today with the ELDX's the groups were hovering around 1/2". Everyone should own a rifle like this. It's my feel good gun. Have a great day.

Has Hornady posted the required twist rate for the 7mm 180 gr match?

You can run the numbers on their 4DOF calculator, that Hornady provides on their website, and see what works at your elevation and environmental. You can get away with a slower twist at higher altitudes but to be safe a 1:8 is what I would get.

Anyone have any load data for the .284. 150gr ELD-X in a 7mm WSM? Hornady used to have some for other cartridges on their site but it must have been removed. Thanks

Hilts Custom Rifles

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.