Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

You can run the numbers on their 4DOF calculator, that Hornady provides on their website, and see what works at your elevation and environmental. You can get away with a slower twist at higher altitudes but to be safe a 1:8 is what I would get.
You are correct. The 180 gr Amax will require an 8 twist. My Hart barrel is a 9 twist. Bummer!

Thanks for the info. I guess I complained enough to Hornady that they decided to publish some info. Anyway I have a box of the 180 gr waiting for me, so I hoping my 9 twist will work. Guessing H1000 or Retumbo will do the job.

Thanks Again
Jim

I have been trying to get a length for these bullets for two days.

Same here, looks like they did the same with the 103 as they did with the 143 vs the 147. The 103gr looks about the same as the 108gr on the outside but they probably just removed some lead under the tip to help with expansion I am assuming.

I have a nice load worked up with my savage 300 win-mag LRH with the 212 ELD-X has anyone shot these at long range and my question is would you say they fallow a good ballistic program better from 600 to 1200 yards ? Can you tell the B.C. staying the same down range the whole way with-out changing ? Are they really fallowing a ballistic calculator closer to the tee?

I have a nice load worked up with my savage 300 win-mag LRH with the 212 ELD-X has anyone shot these at long range and my question is would you say they fallow a good ballistic program better from 600 to 1200 yards ? Can you tell the B.C. staying the same down range the whole way with-out changing ? Are they really fallowing a ballistic calculator closer to the tee?gun)

I have a nice load worked up with my savage 300 win-mag LRH with the 212 ELD-X has anyone shot these at long range and my question is would you say they fallow a good ballistic program better from 600 to 1200 yards ? Can you tell the B.C. staying the same down range the whole way with-out changing ? Are they really fallowing a ballistic calculator closer to the tee?gun)

Umm...I think you are missing the point.

BC changes with speed. That is a given.
So what you are describing is impossible.

instead of "following" a ballistic projection based on theory, Hornady has taken the approach of actually following the bullets down range.

Since they have tracked the actual BC over speeds (Range) they can "Know" rather than "calculate" the BC.

The published "number" is just for reference/comparison. The "actual" BC is a unique value at any exact speed.

Hornady® 4DOF™ Ballistic Calculator - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

So your answer is no then ? you haven't shot the new EDLX at long range yet I was looking for some feedback on whether or not the new ELDX might fallow a ballistic profile better than let's say a 210-g Berger to a 212-g Hornaday. As of now I have both of my loads shooting a 1/4" at 200 yards and Zeroed on the x I re-set the Knight force to the ELDX zero witch is very close to the Berger and re set my zero stop. This week-end I will be shooting from 500-y to hopefully 1000 or with luck out to 1200 we will see still have to check-out my spin drift so if anyone has any feedback I would appreciate it. THX Danagun)gun)

So your answer is no then ? you haven't shot the new EDLX at long range yet I was looking for some feedback on whether or not the new ELDX might fallow a ballistic profile better than let's say a 210-g Berger to a 212-g Hornaday. As of now I have both of my loads shooting a 1/4" at 200 yards and Zeroed on the x I re-set the Knight force to the ELDX zero witch is very close to the Berger and re set my zero stop. This week-end I will be shooting from 500-y to hopefully 1000 or with luck out to 1200 we will see still have to check-out my spin drift so if anyone has any feedback I would appreciate it. THX Danagun)gun)

Well, its a matter is terms I guess.

You can't "follow" a ballistic profile better or worse. It just IS.

They will definitely not "follow" the flight path of say a G1 design bullet of the same weight from WWI.

You can ask if they have lower drag at a certain speed....you can ask if they have a lower drop at a certain distance give same initial speed and weight and conditions....but how closely they "follow" a ballistic profile is entirely dependent on the ballistic profile you choose to use.

If you use the one provided by Hornady, My guess is that it will follow very, very closely. :)

I am using the 143 ELDX in a tikka 6.5X55 swede. Half minute load all day as long as i do my part. have taken them to 1046 meters with good results. Yesterday I hammered 3 hogs with them. One at 200 meters or so and two under 50. Nothing long range but the terminal performance was on par or better than anything else I have ever used.

I have been using my g-7 range finder with the automatic shooting solution in M.O.A. It has really been working well as long as you feed it the best M.V. average possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts