Hornady concentricity tool probblem

Alibiiv

I ordered a Hornady concentrically tool a while back, and it came in today. I was anxious to try the tool out so assembled it and started straightening some .35 Whelen, 225gr TSX Barnes bullets,ammunition that I had loaded. After about ten rounds that I straightened out, I noticed that the bullets were getting marred. What I found was the small nylon piece on the end of the jacking screw had mashed almost flat and the metal part of the jack screw was digging into the bullets. From where I am sitting this is a serious manufacturing flaw, and I suspect that I am not the only reloader who has had this problem with the tool. I really like the tool. I find that it does a good job making the rounds concentric, just have to get around this problem. I'm thinking about putting a piece of nylon between the jack screw and the bullet, just seems it is not right to have to do this. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so what have you done to remedy the problem.

Mine does not have that problem and it has been used a lot. The screw has a small dark blue nylon disk glued to the end of it. That is the only part that contacts the bullet. the threads of the screw do not. The piece of nylon looks like only 1/16 or 1/32 thick. Guess you could glue something else on there without issue.

I ordered a Hornady concentrically tool a while back, and it came in today. I was anxious to try the tool out so assembled it and started straightening some .35 Whelen, 225gr TSX Barnes bullets,ammunition that I had loaded. After about ten rounds that I straightened out, I noticed that the bullets were getting marred. What I found was the small nylon piece on the end of the jacking screw had mashed almost flat and the metal part of the jack screw was digging into the bullets. From where I am sitting this is a serious manufacturing flaw, and I suspect that I am not the only reloader who has had this problem with the tool. I really like the tool. I find that it does a good job making the rounds concentric, just have to get around this problem. I'm thinking about putting a piece of nylon between the jack screw and the bullet, just seems it is not right to have to do this. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so what have you done to remedy the problem.
I would encourage you not to straighten the rounds. It really compromises neck tension. If you chronograph you'll see the problem and see it on target at longer ranges.

A, I know 2 guys who have these. Both have said the thumb screw dented cartridges. Apparently a design flaw for sure. One uses a fold of stiff paper between cartridge and screw to prevent damage. I use the Forster cartridge gauge, but it doesn't have the straightening feature.

A, I know 2 guys who have these. Both have said the thumb screw dented cartridges. Apparently a design flaw for sure. One uses a fold of stiff paper between cartridge and screw to prevent damage. I use the Forster cartridge gauge, but it doesn't have the straightening feature.

Thanks there's definitely a design flaw with the tool. I will come up with something, figured I'd ask instead of trying to invent the wheel! I've got some polystyrene in the basement, going to try and figure a way to make a tip for the screw. I'm going to give Hornady a call, see what their customer service is like? Thanks for the reply.

I have been using this tool for years. I have not had this issue with mine. One thing I will assure you, if you contact Hornady regarding your problem they will make it right. Their customer service is top tier. Call the 1-800 # and they will certainly send you a replacement part at no cost.

Thanks for that information. I did just call them, the customer service personnel took my name and address, telling me that they will ship a new one out to me. I was trying to true up some 35 Whelen cartridges, with Barnes bullets, the tool just cut right into the bullet and this was after about 10 rounds. Hopefully the replacement part will fix the problem. I think that there's a design flaw, we'll have to see

I have used mine for a few years with no issue. While I have used the straightener on occasion, needing to use it is typically an indication that you have a problem with either the concentricity of your brass, seating plug compatibility, excessive neck tension, or much less likely, a faulty press. IMO , it's far better to correct the core issue then to use the straightener.

I have used mine for a few years with no issue. While I have used the straightener on occasion, needing to use it is typically an indication that you have a problem with either the concentricity of your brass, seating plug compatibility, excessive neck tension, or much less likely, a faulty press. IMO , it's far better to correct the core issue then to use the straightener.

I've got an RCBS Rockchucker press, RCBS dies (35 Whelen) and I think that I have some brass issues, its Hornady unfired brass. Everyone says that Hornady brass is junk, however no one makes 35 Whelen brass. I'm not shooting long range, most of my shooting is close, however there's a possibility for a long shot. We've been shooting at 300 yards for fun, and just trying to get the rifles to shoot as good as possible. Our hunting is done at much closer distances. I'm working on getting a case neck turning tool, just so many options. I already have a Forster original trimmer, the case neck turning attachment looks good, then there's Sinclair and K&M . And then there's lots of opinions, that I really appreciate, then there's the budget! I'm getting a rifle built right now. It's going to be $175 for hydroform dies and then there's a set of custom dies, probably Hornady

Try checking your brass for concentricity before you size and after you size. Any out more than .002 or .003 use for fouling rounds.

Try checking your brass for concentricity before you size and after you size. Any out more than .002 or .003 use for fouling rounds.

I don't have a concentricity tool that I can use to check run-out unless there's a bullet on it; the new tool. If I get a ball bearing and place it between the mouth of the case and inside of the moveable spindle on the concentricity tool that ought to work; need a 3/8ths inch ball-bearing. I'll have to figure something out to do that. I do have a v-block, dial indicator, magnetic stand and ought to be able to figure something out with that. That's a good idea, thanks.